• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

2&2, could the 2017 Giants beat the 1987 Giants?

In fairness, Dem presidents since Reagan have been very pro-Wall Street, too. The Great Distraction is played by both sides, in favor of the rich. Basically, the cartoon above your post is really the whole enchilada.

Fair enough. The old senile B-Lister, when he wasn't making arms deals with Iran, did manage to swing the pendulum to the right and yes Bill Clinton and to a lesser degree Obama kept it going because they are beholden to the 1%. But it is a "conservative" idea, and as you move to the left support diminishes. Liberal voters don't support it

The tax plan is also finally scraping the final piece of the untouched not quite rich pie. Poor forgotten about, middle class previously raped by tax cuts going to the 1% of 1%, now the next round of tax cuts for the 1% of the 1% paid for by taking away upper middle class savings.

yep.

thanks 2and2 and jhmd, and I know you aren't in the 1% so you must buy that the trickle is coming.

Libertarian has just become a catchall for people that either don't fit into either party, or are just too lazy to figure out conservative or progressive ideals.

Next Up: Tax Reform

No 2&2 my point is tax policy now can’t change the past so why does it matter how poor people today fare compared to the past if the discussion is about income inequality today. So today poor people can afford better shit than poor people in 1900. Great. Why is that a consideration in tax policy? Or why should it be in your opinion?

the standard of living has undoubtedly and significantly improved for all over that same time period.

Inequality is not a problem because everyone is living great compared to the 1920s. I'm sure this comforts the homeless.

http://www.latimes.com/local/lanow/la-me-ln-homeless-count-20170530-story.html

Los Angeles County’s homeless population has soared 23% over last year despite increasing success in placing people in housing, according to the latest annual count released Wednesday.

The sharp rise, to nearly 58,000, suggested that the pathway into homelessness continues to outpace intensifying efforts that — through rent subsidies, new construction, outreach and support services — got more than 14,000 people permanently off the streets last year.

This post may be your most self-contradicting yet. First you say that the comparison should be present to present, not present to past. But then you say that the tax discussion should be present to future impact. So..... if the question is whether past policies have worked, it would seem to make sense that the comparison for analysis purposes should in fact be present to past to help predict present to future. Present to present doesn't appear anywhere in the analysis other than via the aforementioned jealousy.

Present to present is how you gauge current income inequality. Just admit you don’t give a shit about income inequality and call it what it is.

Present to present is how you gauge current income inequality. Just admit you don’t give a shit about income inequality and call it what it is.

I don't think his initial post was particularly ambiguous. He doesn't care about income inequality.

His point is that if the median has improved dramatically, does it matter if the standard deviation has gotten larger? I don't agree with that, but it isn't an invalid perspective.

I would assume so. They have to realize that they may lose control of Congress in November, so I think they'll try to push it through Obamacare style.

"As there is no metric we can think of that would put the AHCA’s development, nascent as it may be, in a position to be more transparent than the ACA, we rank the claim of equal secrecy behind the ACA and AHCA as false."

You won't read it, but you could not make more of a false equivalency.

https://www.snopes.com/aca-versus-ahca/

We need tax reform not to benefit America but to win elections.

Voters in 'real America' waiting for the trickle

stock-photo-black-headed-wagtail-nest-with-nestling-the-bird-nest-with-hungry-chick-592473860.jpg

If Trump gets rid of the state income tax deduction, House Republicans in CA (14), IL (7), OH (12) and NY (9) could be in trouble. If they end the real estate deduction to give the super rich a tax cut, it could get fun.

If Trump gets rid of the state income tax deduction, House Republicans in CA (14), IL (7), OH (12) and NY (9) could be in trouble. If they end the real estate deduction to give the super rich a tax cut, it could get fun.

I'm not really sure this is the case. Say someone makes $200k a year and has a million dollar house out in CA. Under Trump's plan, for they're out about $5,000. It hurts, but its not terrible for someone in that income range. And those are the people who are hurt the most.

Those who make less or have a smaller home, aren't really missing out on much because their itemized deductions won't be much higher than the new standard deduction. Those who make more likely make way way more by cutting the corporate tax rates on pass throughs or as corporate executives.

For example, right now, I'm a slight winner under this plan. If I bought a house, I'd be a loser under this plan. (Unless house prices went down as a result and then it might be a good thing) But I could break-even completely by starting my own company and billing my current employer as a consultant.

Last edited:
Back