• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

No, that is not the goal. If the goal were to tax unrealized gains on death then there would simply be an income tax on unrealized gains at death on the final income tax return (or income tax on the disposition by the heir with carryover basis). Instead, it is a completely separate tax on assets (some of which have zero unrealized gain) as opposed to income. The public policy goal is that the government needs more money and knows it is easier to tax rich families than most other people. That's it.

I don't disagree with the bolded, and have said I'd be OK with repeal of the estate tax coupled with making death a realization event (with some kind of exemption similar to the current estate tax exemption both for purposes of realizing that there isn't an actual realization upon death and in the name of progressive taxation). I'm curious though, what is the justification in the House bill (other than a massive tax-break for the ultra wealthy) for retaining a basis step up with no estate tax and no income tax due upon death?

Countdown until some congressman or Fox News guy suggests giving it back but only for STEM students. Can't have the Real American Taxpayer subsidizing those damn "Liberal Arts".

Would be a decent market solution to subsidize more valuable degrees.

Taxing non-STEM tuition waivers and not taxing STEM tuition waivers would be skewing toward immigrant students.

maybe it would lead to more non-immigrant applications into STEM

Why? People don't go to one grad program over another for the tuition waiver or stipend. They go based on interest. They stay for financial reasons.

I don't disagree with the bolded, and have said I'd be OK with repeal of the estate tax coupled with making death a realization event (with some kind of exemption similar to the current estate tax exemption both for purposes of realizing that there isn't an actual realization upon death and in the name of progressive taxation). I'm curious though, what is the justification in the House bill (other than a massive tax-break for the ultra wealthy) for retaining a basis step up with no estate tax and no income tax due upon death?

Thinking logically (not sure the House is actually doing that, but at least looking at it logically from the outside), it is probably a simple tracking issue. 2010 was a fucking shitshow (thanks, Obama) in terms of trying to cobble together support for basis after someone dies. Unless the dead person's record-keeping was really organized, the Executor is usually clueless about what the basis was or where to look for it. Some of those assets are held 50+ years, it isn't like the Executor can jump into Quickbooks and pull up the basis numbers. If you dumped the estate tax and put in a carryover basis for every estate, the IRS would implode.

That is why there is an asset tax as a proxy. Plus you get a reset of the basis which actually ties to something

Want Kids, a Degree or a Home? The Tax Bill Would Cost You
An immense tax giveaway to the rich will hurt everyone else. Here’s how.

————
To pass their immense tax giveaway to the rich, Republicans need to ensure their plan would add no more than $1.5 trillion to the deficit over the next decade. To do so, they’re cutting billions of dollars in tax benefits to people trying to raise children, pay for college, buy a home or invest in renewable energy.

That is why taxes would go up for about 45 percent of middle-class taxpayers by 2026 under the House bill, according to an analysis by The Times. By contrast, the people in the top 1 percent of income will get an average tax cut of $64,720 a year by 2027, according to the Institute on Taxation and Economic Policy. Even the congressional Joint Committee on Taxation concludes that the tax cuts are heavily tilted toward the rich. Yet, the Republicans may take the knife to even more middle class benefits, because the Congressional Budget Office said on Wednesday that the bill would overshoot the $1.5 trillion target by nearly $200 billion...
————

How wealthy would gain at expense of others in GOP tax plan

————
WASHINGTON (AP) — The House Republicans' tax-cut plan springs from a core argument: What's good for big business and the moneyed elite is inevitably good for the economy and everyone else.

Their plan would slash corporate tax rates, end inheritance taxes for the ultra-rich and create new tax advantages for business owners. To help pay for some of those breaks, the plan would end tax deductions for college loans, high medical bills, moving costs and state and local income taxes.

It would also add $1.4 trillion to the national debt over 10 years.

Taken as a whole, the tax plan would drastically lighten the burden on the powerful groups that Republican leaders say would strengthen the economy while eliminating some benefits for the middle class they've called their top priority.

Some new benefits for ordinary households — like a family credit — would expire in five years. And some existing benefits would erode with inflation.

But the Trump administration and Republican lawmakers argue that the goodies they would bestow on corporations and the wealthy would, in the political parlance of the 1980s, inevitably "trickle down" to everyone else...
————

White MI, Wi, PA Trump voters:

baby+birds.jpg

As a renter without a degree who doesn't want kids though, this is pretty sweet.

I don't think anybody was under the impression that Republicans cared more about orphans than rich people's kids.

I mean people can complain about every single deduction that was removed, but obviously this isn’t a result of Republicans hating orphans, but rather a change in taxation philosophy for the individual, with a focus on simplicity rather than incentivizing behavior. I don’t agree with this approach (although, tbh, I don’t entirely disagree either, our taxation system needs to be simplified to drive transparency and hopefully accountability), but it is clearly the approach.

Them orphans should a been borned in better famblies.

Besides, don’t the Bible say to look after the wealthy? To protect them from the grubbing poors?

Leprechaun Economics and Neo-Lafferism

————
At one level, trying to have a serious discussion of the economic impacts of the Cut Cut Cut Act – sorry, the Tax Cuts and Jobs Act – is arguably a waste of time. Republicans who believe, or pretend to believe, that tax cuts will produce an economic miracle, who didn’t change their minds after the Clinton boom, the Bush debacle, the Kansas disaster, and the strength of the economy after 2013 aren’t going to be persuaded by further analytical discussion.

But some of us have spent our lives trying to understand such things, and there are some intellectually interesting aspects of the current tax debate even though the would-be reformers aren’t interested in a real discussion. So let me indulge myself.

The thing is, while Republicans always claim that tax cuts will produce miraculous growth, both the proposed tax cuts and the supposed sources of the miracle are a bit different this time. Instead of focusing on individual tax rates – aside from the estate tax – this time it’s mostly about corporate taxes. And instead of claiming huge increases in work effort from lower marginal rates, they’re mostly claiming that lower corporate taxes will bring huge capital inflows, raising wages and GDP.

There are multiple reasons to be skeptical about these claims; the actual magnitude of any positive effect on GDP is likely to be far smaller than anything Republicans say. The Penn-Wharton model says that GDP in 2027 would be between 0.3% and 0.8% higher with the tax cuts than without, i.e., basically an invisible effect against background noise; and this doesn’t even take into account the longer-run negative effects of discouraging higher education, slashing nutrition programs, and all the other things that will probably happen due to higher deficits.

But let me make a different point: GDP is actually the wrong measure. If you’re going to be pulling in foreign capital, you’re going to be paying more investment income to foreigners; so gross national income – income accruing to domestic residents – is going to go up by less. And surely that’s the measure we care about.

In fact, when you bear in mind the reduced taxes collected on foreign investors who are already here, GNI could actually go down, not up.

One way to say all of this is that Cut Cut Cut would be an attempt to bring a bit of leprechaun economics to the United States. Ireland, famously, is a country where GDP vastly exceeds national income, by a growing margin:

The reason is a low corporate tax rate, which attracts both real foreign investment in capital-intensive sectors – investment that raises GDP but does little for workers – and also creates an incentive to use transfer pricing to make profits appear in Ireland even though they have nothing much to do with Irish activity. Not incidentally, Kevin Hassett appears to be confused about the economics here, imagining that a paper reduction in the US trade deficit due to changes in transfer pricing would bring in real jobs. It wouldn’t.

There are really two bottom lines here. One is that the true growth impacts of Cut Cut Cut would be even more pathetic than the numbers you’ve been hearing. The other is that if you’re going to make international capital flows central to your arguments, you really need to think about the implications for future investment income.
————

I mean people can complain about every single deduction that was removed, but obviously this isn’t a result of Republicans hating orphans, but rather a change in taxation philosophy for the individual, with a focus on simplicity rather than incentivizing behavior. I don’t agree with this approach (although, tbh, I don’t entirely disagree either, our taxation system needs to be simplified to drive transparency and hopefully accountability), but it is clearly the approach.

It's not about simplicity. It's about rolling back deductions to pay for huge tax cuts for the wealthy.
https://youtu.be/PDB1ZJjJnPA

Back