• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

I'm hoping the district comes to its senses and gets rid of Dana. My biggest worry about that is if another Republican runs, he/she might get on the ballot with Dana. In C A, we have open primaries. It's possible to have two Republicans or two Dems on the November ballot as it's the two top vote getters regardless of party.

And another idiotic post brought to you by sailordeac!

Removing the medical itemized deduction is really going to screw some people over. And again Liam Republicans infatuation with removing the estate tax is just bizarre

it's an accurate summation of y'all's attitude, call it idiotic if you will
Funny I see a lot of people with specific criticisms of aspects of the tax reform Bill. Your board reputation as comic relief is well earned.

Funny I see a lot of people with specific criticisms of aspects of the tax reform Bill. Your board reputation as comic relief is well earned.

If overstated. sailor hasn't been funny in years. Unfortunately, he will be the last one to realize he is completely incoherent.

sailor only knows 3 things:
1.The Clintons are evil;
2.Liberals are evil; and
3.Muslims are evil.

If something doesn't fit into one of those three boxes, he has no way to process it.

I will.

Republicans can't even do the fiscal stuff right. I hope all the "I'm socially liberal but fiscally conservative" dumbasses are happy.

But it makes liberals upset! It has to be good. Just like Trump! Yay team!

no one can take y'all's constant caterwauling about Trump seriously, there is no tax reform bill yet

Yea, a 1/2 victory for the pubs, let's all wait and see what a final bill would look like. Remember the house passed a clear ACA repeal that would not go in the Senate. There will be changes to this before final passage.

I've stayed off this thread since I figured out I was in over my head with arcane tax discussions (hasn't stopped me in the past) but this little bit they've snuck in about the grad tuition waiver has me back in. I would like to see someone come explain why this is either not as big a deal as I am reading it or it makes some sense.

My sister is in her fourth year of a PhD program at Emory studying antibiotic resistance. She's scared for what this means for finishing her education. She works 70 hour weeks making $30k, and if this passes, her taxable income will look more like $95k and she almost certainly couldn't afford to stay on, nor could the school help.

Of course she'll always have the uphill battle against the anti science whims of Congress, but this particular bill seems vicious and spiteful.

It's hard to argue this provision is more than just being petty.

to summarize, right now graduate students are often paid a smallish stipend while they do their class and research work for their degree; they're also used as intellectual and physical laborers for the university research system. this tax change will basically destroy the pool of labor of our national research system.

Back