• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Yeah the oft-quoted $20x,000 pricetag (e.g. any BKF post) assumes all posters are paying sticker price. Not probably the case.

i was recently at an event at WFU law school where they had us doing a tuition setting/budgeting exercise. WFU law gives an average of over 50% discount off of sticker price. Most of WFU law's private school competitors are similar, giving discounts between 40-57% off sticker. "Discount" does not mean your tuition is paid by an endowed scholarship - it means the law school is cutting tuition to get you to enroll. Some of the discounts are probably called a scholarship but there is no funding to provide cash to the law school to pay for the discount. According to the Dean, all the top law schools are chasing the best students to keep their bar passage/employment/rankings up, so a lot of this is discounts given to the top students to get and keep them. I don't know what the relevant discount number is for the undergrad school or the other grad/professional programs but I thought it was very interesting.

Bout to board a plane with Richard Burr. Any pointers I need to give him?

CBO score released yesterday really shows how this is a money grab from poor to rich. See unlike Palma’s bullshit analysis it takes into account other factors that change. So if you are poor you get fucked first, then the middle class, then the upper middle class, then 1 mil+ get all the benefits.

I wouldn't have gotten the degree I did get without lots of scholarships. I surely wouldn't go back for a $200K degree without plenty of help.

I'm curious which degree you think is worth $200K.

Anything STEM related.

That implies that an in-state public school STEM degree is far worse compared to out of state or private STEM degrees.

but if you live in CA (Berkeley), GA (GT), Indiana (Purdue), Illinois or Michigan, it's really hard to justify paying private tuition with a very, very solid state-funded option available

Depends on the difference in cost once you take scholarships into account. It can be a big mistake to assume public vs private out of pocket costs are going to be wildly different.

Depends on the difference in cost once you take scholarships into account. It can be a big mistake to assume public vs private out of pocket costs are going to be wildly different.

of course you should take scholarships into account

many self-proclaimed or universally regarded "elite" institutions offer no merit scholarships

CBO score released yesterday really shows how this is a money grab from poor to rich. See unlike Palma’s bullshit analysis it takes into account other factors that change. So if you are poor you get fucked first, then the middle class, then the upper middle class, then 1 mil+ get all the benefits.

Dunno what you're whining about, looks good for the average Wake Grad to me

7154c52e7e9634842495a0557987f366.jpg

Yes, I've attended college.

get back to me when you start sending kids to college

our "need" for financial aid was determined to be $0, meaning full, 100% sticker price was absolutely the cost metric that we needed to consider

get back to me when you start sending kids to college

our "need" for financial aid was determined to be $0, meaning full, 100% sticker price was absolutely the cost metric that we needed to consider

coulda raised smarter kids

#humblebrag

my position is hardly unique among WF graduates, I'm sure

"bragging" would be talking about writing a check for $300k to send one kid through college, no problem

I am however offering a recent perspective of the financial aid process for elite high-cost universities, while you ... attended college at some point

Well most of y'all will get a free years worth of tuition for your kid if the tax reform went through over the next decade, but I guess that's just the crumbs.

my position is hardly unique among WF graduates, I'm sure

"bragging" would be talking about writing a check for $300k to send one kid through college, no problem

I am however offering a recent perspective of the financial aid process for elite high-cost universities, while you ... attended college at some point

Cool. Doesn't change the fact that for many students, the cost of attending an elite private school can be similar to attending school in-state, and therefore it's not the black and white choice you made it out to be.

Back