• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Kinda cool to wake up one day and have my student loans paid for me. Dunno what y'all whining about.

Kinda cool to wake up one day and have my student loans paid for me. Dunno what y'all whining about.

There is student loan forgiveness in this bill?

plama is absolutely right that the short term benefits will be very popular.

Will people feel the benefits before April 2019? Doesn't seem like they have time to change the withholding numbers for next year.

There is student loan forgiveness in this bill?

If all you did was read libtard headlines posted in this thread, you'd have almost no idea that 85-90% of the people in this country are gonna have less taxes taken out of their paychecks in 30 days. So ridiculously biased.

In my case, my savings > my monthly student loan payment.

If all you did was read libtard headlines posted in this thread, you'd have almost no idea that 85-90% of the people in this country are gonna have less taxes taken out of their paychecks in 30 days. So ridiculously biased.

In my case, my savings > my monthly student loan payment.

So no. There is not student loan forgiveness in this bill.

So you are celebrating a government handout instead of taking on individual responsibility for paying back a loan that you willingly and knowingly took out. Got it!

Unless Republicans manage to turn around public perception of the bill, not sure why people would feel like they benefit.

If you used to get $2,000 every two weeks and all the sudden you get $2,100 every two weeks, it's not hard to tell you've benefitted.

If you used to get $2,000 every two weeks and all the sudden you get $2,100 every two weeks, it's not hard to tell you've benefitted.

Except, you aren't getting that big a cut. If you get a cut at all at that level.

Except, you aren't getting that big a cut. If you get a cut at all at that level.

Actually the number is closer to $65 at that income level, but yes, most people are getting that. Shame the news has decided not to report it.

Trump has said he wouldn't benefit. I guess getting rid of AMT wouldn't have saved him $31M on the one return we have seen. Nor would phasing out the estate tax benefit his family.

He doesn't even try make lies believable anymore.

Actually the number is closer to $65 at that income level, but yes, most people are getting that. Shame the news has decided not to report it.

Link? The average person in that bracket gets a boost of 1.3-1.4%.

Link? The average person in that bracket gets a boost of 1.3-1.4%.

I would guess your average working class American gets a 2-3% raise annually if any at all. That’s not a small amount to them. The bill is bullshit and a cash grab for rich donors, but don’t think that those crumbs would be helpful and appreciated by working class folks. The GOP will likely be successful in marketing any loss of service as “Obamacare” or “gub’ment inefficiency”, and the rubes will believe them.

I would guess your average working class American gets a 2-3% raise annually if any at all. That’s not a small amount to them. The bill is bullshit and a cash grab for rich donors, but don’t think that those crumbs would be helpful and appreciated by working class folks. The GOP will likely be successful in marketing any loss of service as “Obamacare” or “gub’ment inefficiency”, and the rubes will believe them.

"Working class Americans" depending on how you define that, will get 1.4% or less (the less the make, the lower that number) in 2019, and that number declines with time, even if you assume they will eventually make the tax cuts permanent and blow up the deficit to ~2.2 trillion instead of the already absurd ~1.4. It's not that the benefits they would get are nothing or meaningless, it's that they could be bigger and they could be permanent. But by squandering so much on the cuts for the very wealthy they essentially guarantee other spending cuts will have to made. And we all know who those cuts will preferentially hurt.

"Working class Americans" depending on how you define that, will get 1.4% or less (the less the make, the lower that number) in 2019, and that number declines with time, even if you assume they will eventually make the tax cuts permanent and blow up the deficit to ~2.2 trillion instead of the already absurd ~1.4. It's not that the benefits they would get are nothing or meaningless, it's that they could be bigger and they could be permanent. But by squandering so much on the cuts for the very wealthy they essentially guarantee other spending cuts will have to made. And we all know who those cuts will preferentially hurt.

There are a few people that get hurt which bring down the average. Median and mode. Most people save around 3%. (Which is obvious , the bracket goes from 15% to 12% or 25% to 22%, etc.)

There are a few people that get hurt which bring down the average. Median and mode. Most people save around 3%. (Which is obvious , the bracket goes from 15% to 12% or 25% to 22%, etc.)

Because the brackets 3% doesn't mean you save 3% due to the other changes.

Back