• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

I mean you could also increase FICA taxes on high earners that would do the trick.

If they keep the AMT, I'd have to think most of the "it's a tax cut for the super rich" whining would have to go away.

It's just a straight FU to high income earners in high tax rate states and a benefit to most all the middle class.
AMT doesn't impact the super rich it usually impacts people make between like 200,000 a year and a million

AMT doesn't impact the super rich it usually impacts people make between like 200,000 a year and a million

Yup. And per the JCT score, the group that gets most of the tax cuts are the $100k-500k folks. The people over a million (the super rich) only get 10% of the total change. So it would appear to truly focus on the middle class ($100k-200k) if they kept the AMT.

The group that gets most of the tax cuts is the top .1% donor class with the estate tax repeal. Even with just the income tax they get a bigger percentage benefit then the top 1%to 5%

Last edited:
Next Up: Tax Reform

The group that gets most of the tax cuts is the top .1% donor class with the estate tax repeal. Even with just the income tax they get a bigger percentage benefit then the top 1%to 5%

8b43d30ef643250e5a150c02948cb39e.jpg

I've seen this said, but I don't see it in the numbers . Can you explain it to me?

I see the top .01% reducing their tax rate by .8% and I see their total change as -15 billion of -174 billion, or less than 10% of the change.

At those levels , really there are huge winners and losers within that bracket (California business owners with expensive houses included in the losers)

Last edited:
The benefits for others phase out but not the top 0.1%.

And all of the other aspects of this will provide huge tax planning opportunites for the uber wealthy to shield massive amounts of income from ever being taxed.

8b43d30ef643250e5a150c02948cb39e.jpg

I've seen this said, but I don't see it in the numbers . Can you explain it to me?

I see the top .01% reducing their tax rate by .8% and I see their total change as -15 billion of -174 billion, or less than 10% of the change.

At those levels , really there are huge winners and losers within that bracket (California business owners with expensive houses included in the losers)

And if you make under $50,0000, you get to pay more!

Yup. And per the JCT score, the group that gets most of the tax cuts are the $100k-500k folks. The people over a million (the super rich) only get 10% of the total change. So it would appear to truly focus on the middle class ($100k-200k) if they kept the AMT.

Hey guys! $100k-200k is middle class!

gr-pm-income-brackets-462.gif

The benefits for others phase out but not the top 0.1%.

And all of the other aspects of this will provide huge tax planning opportunites for the uber wealthy to shield massive amounts of income from ever being taxed.

50 million americans keep an average credit card balance of $20k. The country isn't so forward thinking that this matters to anyone but people arguing on a message board. Certainly not, #realamerica. Furthermore, you also get plenty of time to get control of the government back to re-tax estates. Its not like rich people are going to tax plan around it and try and die sooner.

And if you make under $50,0000, you get to pay more!

Not really cause that's all #Obamacare math of treating subsidies paid directly to insurance companies as tax breaks, but I'll refer you to the family making $60k math I used a page back which showed they pay $-0- taxes.

50 million americans keep an average credit card balance of $20k. The country isn't so forward thinking that this matters to anyone but people arguing on a message board. Certainly not, #realamerica. Furthermore, you also get plenty of time to get control of the government back to re-tax estates. Its not like rich people are going to tax plan around it and try and die sooner.

Saying that you can take back control of government and repeal all of the awful things about this legislation isn't an effective refutation of criticism about said legislation.

Last edited:
Saying that you can take back control of government and repeal all of the awful things about this legislation isn't an effective refutation of criticism about said legislation.

And saying to any real american "Ignore the $20-40k you'll save over the next 10 years, cause year 11 could possibly suck" is a losing argument.

Ah, bringing out a classic. The “only federal income taxes count as taxes” argument.

Back