• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

I don't know what "middle class" is defined as, but the average person making $60k a year with no kids has their taxes go down 22%, or about $1,800. That's not too shabby.

People making between $50K and $87K (the middle quintile) see an average cut of $840. If you eliminate the 10% of them that actually get a tax increase, the average cut is still only $1080. You are cherry picking worse than the news stories are.

Which I don't know if you have any experience living paycheck to paycheck or supporting family members who do, but that's a pretty big change to people who are.

A single person with no kids making $60K probably isn't living paycheck to paycheck. Or at least they shouldn't be.

That's not an average taxpayer in this country.

Even assuming that's true, how much of that $1800 will be eaten up with higher healthcare costs?

If that person owns a house, how much value will that house lose due to interest and real estate tax differences?

The Pubs are right to limit or get rid of SALT and the mortgage interest deductions. They disproportionately benefit the wealthy. Dems in Congress look like hypocrites fighting for them.

If this thread is a representative sample of how the media covers complex issues, then perhaps the media is in fact the enemy of the people. woof.

Yeah all these Wake Forest University graduates, some who are tax lawyers and business owners, are too stupid to understand the tax bill like you can cause you work for some millionaire guys whom you jerk off to every night and you played poker before that and now sorta pretend to troll as a Trump shill but really believe this shit but just hide behind the troll thing for plausible deniability.

People making between $50K and $87K (the middle quintile) see an average cut of $840. If you eliminate the 10% of them that actually get a tax increase, the average cut is still only $1080. You are cherry picking worse than the news stories are.

I'm simply taking $60k and using the brackets and applying the standard deduction. This is going to cover roughly 50% of the population of that bracket.

Open your mouth and let those crumbs fall in, preferred method is on your knees. No chewing needed, don’t ask questions, and just swallow.

could use JHMD's help to explain why the dems telling poor they supposedly champion that close to $2k/yr is just crumbs isn't resonating at the ballot box.

could use JHMD's help to explain why the dems telling poor they supposedly champion that close to $2k/yr is just crumbs isn't resonating at the ballot box.

if the goal is to help lower taxes for $60k paycheck-paycheck type middle classers, shouldn't we be giving them the bulk of the tax breaks, not the super wealthy?

A single person making $60k is now considered poor? And we're the ones who are out of touch?

Yeah household income, meaning it possibly and often does include two income earners is less than 60,000.

Just because you manage your money terribly doesn't mean the average person does.

There's not much left to mismanage once you pay for rent unless you live with your parents. And for the people making $60k out in the country, they aren't getting hurt by the change in the SALT deductions anyways.

I'm simply taking $60k and using the brackets and applying the standard deduction. This is going to cover roughly 50% of the population of that bracket.

You may want to consider that this tax plan is a little more complicated than your back of the napkin math. But even if what you are saying is true (it's not), then your own numbers don't support your argument

We know ~ 10% of the people in that quintile get a tax increase, so obviously those aren't the ones your are talking about. You said 50% will be getting $1800 a year (not true, but we'll run with it). If that's the case, than the other 40% the quintile are getting ~$200 per year

Cutting CHIP, public education, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and homeless veterans programs to pay for eliminating a tax on estates over $11 million is something to write home about.

Cutting CHIP, public education, social security, Medicare, Medicaid, and homeless veterans programs to pay for eliminating a tax on estates over $11 million is something to write home about.

Everyone agrees the estate tax thing is retarded. But it doesn't seem like the dollar amount is that high that I'd vote "no" on the bill over it.

You may want to consider that this tax plan is a little more complicated than your back of the napkin math. But even if what you are saying is true (it's not), then your own numbers don't support your argument

We know ~ 10% of the people in that quintile get a tax increase, so obviously those aren't the ones your are talking about. You said 50% will be getting $1800 a year (not true, but we'll run with it). If that's the case, than the other 40% the quintile are getting ~$200 per year

So we can argue using the same numbers, I know that roughly 10% of the quintile will have an increase, but which numbers are you using to show by how much? I know I've seen them before, just don't have the link handy.

So instead of $1,800 I now get $1,650 using the "napkin math" I was using $12,700 standard deduction instead of $12,000, erroneously.

So roughly 10% of the population loses on average -$840, meaning the other 90% of the population gains on average $1,300 to get to the total average of $1,080. I think its safe to estimate the median person in that quintile will save roughly $1,500 (opposed to the $1,800 I used).

Back