• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Somehow trump is going to barley cut middle class and poor people's taxes, so little it's a rounding error but gives the talking point that they were cut, to pay for that the taxes get raised on people that poor people think are rich the college educated 200-400,000 crowd and over that gets the real tax cut.

i think this is called "soak the elites". Pretty clever, really.

The ~50% without money in the market would probably prefer higher wages.

agreed. as mentioned before, the top 10% make up over 80% of the market. higher wages will help middle and lower class people. it is a back door to help the rich.

to be clear, I don't think people in my income range are over-taxed, and I wouldn't have a problem giving back the Bush tax cuts. I do have a problem with a massive tax cut on tippety-top moguls who run this country at a time when they clearly don't need any help and the government is struggling to meet its obligations. People in my income bracket have two major problems: how much they have to pay for health care (for themselves and for their employees) and how much it costs to put their kids through college because they're getting $0 financial aid. I'd like the government to take on those two problems before trying more trickle-down nonsense to create imaginary economic growth.

Agreed. If you're going to lower taxes on the middle class as you have campaigned just do it, rather than giving a token cut to them in order distract from a big cut to the tip top.

At least make it revenue neutral and if you need to, raise taxes a bit on the tip top to pay for it. They hate your guts anyway Dotard, not like a tax cut will get you into their club

I'll just leave this here. https://www.theatlantic.com/business/archive/2017/09/trump-tax-plan-benefit-rich/541584/

We have now gone full post-factual in the tax policy realm, such that the President and Treasury Secretary expressly claim that their plan is the exact opposite of what it really is. So we're going to get trumped-up trickle down, but the rubes will be told it's nothing of the sort, and they'll probably believe it.

ETA: I'm guessing this part applies to most posters over the age of 30, and probably the great majority of Wake grads. Welcome to your Trump tax increase.

I think it mostly goes away because currently those people making $50-150k take advantage of the mortgage interest deduction and State tax deduction. Since I rent, I benefit currently ($1,500/yr or so), but once I go to buy a house, then I no longer get to use to increased standard deduction and the state tax deduction isn't there to add onto it. So basically it hurts homeowners.

This ending the estate tax because it helps farmer is ridiculous. There are approximately less than 100 "farmers" this would affect. Stop, just stop.

The GOP Tax Plan Is Already Hitting Speed Bumps

Corker, who insists he won’t vote for a tax bill that adds a penny to the deficit, said in an interview that he’s concerned about the early signals from the White House. On Friday -- two days after the tax framework was rolled out -- National Economic Council Director Gary Cohn said that ending the state and local tax break was negotiable.

“That’s the easiest one,” said Corker, a Tennessee Republican. “Some of the others are actually more offensive and produce lesser amounts of money.”

The budget rules that Senate leaders plan to use to pass the legislation require that any changes that boost the federal deficit would have to expire in time. But the nine-page framework released Wednesday provided few details on revenue raisers. It calls for eliminating deductions, but doesn’t specify them. By showing its willingness to negotiate on one such deduction, the White House appears to be charting a rocky path.

“I’ve been very candid about this. We need to have new deficits because of that. We need to have the growth,” Mulvaney said. “If we simply look at this as being deficit-neutral, you’re never going to get the type of tax reform and tax reductions that you need to get to sustain 3 percent economic growth.”

Pat Toomey doesn't think Americans will mind a tax cut for the wealthy because he doesn't believe they are that resentful.

Pat Toomey opposes an amendment that would prevent this bill from cutting Medicaid because this is tax reform not healthcare reform, and also because he wants to cut Medicaid.

Last edited:
On Friday, Susan Collins will announce whether she's running for re-election to the Senate or for Gov. of Maine. If she runs for gov, I'd bet she'll vote against Trump's scam "tax reform".

Given that Corker will vote against it if it adds to the deficit. Since it will, and he hates Trump, this is another "No" vote".

Sounds like it is dead before arrival.

Meh, the failed assumption there is that anyone would want to move to Kansas. You can't pay me to move to Kansas, so dropping my tax rate ain't gonna do shit.

i think there is some truth to this.

Reforming the tax code nationally (reforming, not cutting taxes on the rich and stacking up more debt) would add some incremental growth. Not as much as the republicans are going to claim, but some. It's a macro-level economic input that will have macro-level impacts. State-level tax policy, on the other hand, is far down on the list of social and geographic factors that drive business growth in a state. Kansas will never have a California or New York economy, even if it taxed and spent at those rates, and will never have a Florida or Texas economy, no matter how deep it cuts income taxes.

Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies, Lies

‘murica...your greatness awaits. Step right in...

trump-the-carnival-barker.jpg

Last edited:
Back