• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Biggest Reform EVER passed thread

Krugman has always sounded the alarm on the GOP phony snake oil tax myth bullshit they peddle to unwitting Americans

Susan Collins isn't running for governor and says she is leaning towards supporting tax reform.

The G.O.P. Is No Party for Honest Men

Quote:
----------
...But how can an administration that pretends to be populist, to stand up for ordinary (white) working people, sell such elitist policies?

The answer is a strategy based entirely on lies. And I mean entirely: The Trump administration and its allies are lying about every aspect of their tax plan.

I’m not talking about dubious interpretations of evidence or misleading presentation of the facts — the kind of thing the Bush administration used to specialize in. I’m talking about flat-out, easily refuted lies, like the claim that America has the world’s highest taxes (among rich countries, we have close to the lowest), or the claim that estate taxes are a huge burden on small business (almost no small businesses pay any estate tax).

Nor do I mean that there are just one or two big lies. There are many — so many I literally don’t have space to so much as list them in this column. In a long blog post this past weekend I tried to provide a systematic list; I came up with 10 major Republican lies about tax cuts, and I’m sure I missed a few.

So, politically, can they really get away with this? A lot depends on how the news media handles it. If an administration spokesperson declares that up is down, will news reports simply say “so-and-so says up is down, but Democrats disagree,” or will they also report that up is not, in fact, down? I wish I were confident about the answer to that question.

One thing we know for sure, however, is that a great majority of Republican politicians know perfectly well that their party is lying about its tax plan — and every even halfway competent economist aligned with the party definitely understands what’s going on.

What this means is that everyone who goes along with this plan, or even remains silent in the face of the campaign of mass dissimulation, is complicit — is in effect an accomplice to the most dishonest political selling job in American history.
----------

Media has been pressured to pursue "fairness" over truth. That just gives liars equal footing for fear that the gullible will stop watching.

Yep, it's going to give the really rich a huge cut and fuck the middle class.

So we’re increasing the deficit by over $1T?

If you cap the amount they can contribute, you cap the match

09-roll-safe.w710.h473.2x.jpg

Yeah you want an end to the stock market growth, that would certainly do it.

On the flip side I'm not sure I think anyone should have 50% of their income going to taxes.

Next Up: Tax Reform

Seems like taxing 100% of your estate when you die is probably the best for the economy. Then instead of the rich folks parking their money in the market they'll buy some shit.

Does somewhat encourage the government to murder its citizens , however.

or just raise taxes on the highest margins a few points and watch more revenue come in. :noidea:

Back