• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Deacon

My main role on Twitter is to do my best to keep our fan base informed and manage expectations based on the information I collect. The only thing I regret is accidentally including Ayo on the congrats reply tweet to our sister Illinois blog after it was obvious the Illinois coaching staff had known for at least a few days.

My main role on Twitter is to do my best to keep our fan base informed and manage expectations based on the information I collect. The only thing I regret is accidentally including Ayo on the congrats reply tweet to our sister Illinois blog after it was obvious the Illinois coaching staff had known for at least a few days.

congrats

By the way, that was a terrible tweet.

The Maryland matchup should be a good one... A shame we won't be able to see it.

The Terps return a lot and added Obi via transfer and Bruno Fernando. Good frontcourt test for Moore and our bigs.

Kevin Huerter broke almost every record at my high school in upstate NY. He's a baller and would have been a very tough matchup for us last year at 6'7" on the perimeter.

Good work by Les yesterday, I thought. Appreciated reading all of Manning's comments and seeing a bit of the practice.

Pretty clear that Manning will play a lot of 4-guard "small ball" from those comments (and our personnel). That has me less concerned about our frontcourt depth, given it is easier to split ~60 minutes between Moore/SJM/Sarr/Thompson (and even Mitchell, it sounds like) than 80 minutes. I'm hoping Moore's improvement is as real as is being discussed. If he could play 20 minutes a game, that'd be huge. I'm super-excited about Sarr, but it sounds like Manning is going to bring him along slowly given he just showed up on campus this fall... Hopefully Sarr forces his hand a bit by playing well when given the opportunity.

You can pencil in Crawford and Woods at the 1-2... ~30mpg for both of them. Childress will get more run, too... Tough to keep him off of the floor if he plays as well as he did down the stretch last season. Wilbekin perhaps loses some minutes, but he has a clearly defined role on this team (and there will be nights when we need his shooting on the floor).

That leaves Brown at the 3 (and sometimes 4 when Woods plays the 3)... Big opportunity for Melo to get minutes if he's ready. I will say that Melo didn't look as tall as I expected (in that video, at least)... Could just be that he's thin and standing next to grown men (Woods & Brown).

Really looking forward to the exhibition game on 11/3... Can't wait to see what the freshmen (and sophomores) look like on the floor. Losing 3 starters means a lot of minutes up for grabs.

WHAT??? We've been assured that Brown will get destroyed by all the 240 lb PFs we are going to play. WTF is Manning thinking?!?

Preseason Kenpom rankings are out. Wake at 57 (11th in ACC) and the non-conference schedule doesn't actually look that bad. A lot of teams in the 150-200 range. Worst team is Drake at 223 and best team is Tennessee at 43.

Preseason Kenpom rankings are out. Wake at 57 (11th in ACC) and the non-conference schedule doesn't actually look that bad. A lot of teams in the 150-200 range. Worst team is Drake at 223 and best team is Tennessee at 43.

Potential to also play Colorado (97) & Houston (64)

https://www.cbssports.com/college-basketball/news/eight-ncaa-tournament-teams-from-last-season-that-wont-make-it-back-in-2018/

Danny Manning did a tremendous job getting Wake to the NCAAs while fighting through arguably the toughest version of the ACC in that conference's history. But now the Deacs have lost John Collins to the NBA (and through camp and the start of the season, Collins looks tremendous). Fortunately, Bryant Crawford, Keyshawn Woods and Mitchell Wilbekin are back, but the ACC is going to be fairly deep again. Here's the problem: Wake's schedule, as its projects now, isn't that difficult. When you've got a non-con that's probably not going to be as good as at least half the teams from power conferences, it's going to put you at a further disadvantage. Entering the season, with Wake's OOC schedule as it is, it looks like this team will need to get to 22 or 23 wins to feel good about an at-large bid, and I don't see that happening.

The ACC doesn't appear that deep. Most of the teams seem pretty equal on paper. Think we have a good shot to overachieve.

I thought 22 wins was going to get us a 6 seed though?

In all seriousness, after seeing the Kenpom rankings (and assuming they hold somewhat accurate), I'll reverse course and say 22 gets us safely in, 21 has us on the right side of the bubble and 20 the wrong side. We probably won't have any marquee wins in the non conference but our non-conference schedule numbers (KP and RPI) should be fairly solid.

Had a dream last night that this team was the shit. Call your bookie

I thought 22 wins was going to get us a 6 seed though?

In all seriousness, after seeing the Kenpom rankings (and assuming they hold somewhat accurate), I'll reverse course and say 22 gets us safely in, 21 has us on the right side of the bubble and 20 the wrong side. We probably won't have any marquee wins in the non conference but our non-conference schedule numbers (KP and RPI) should be fairly solid.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL. Ego isn't.

What he was clearly saying is he didn't see Wake getting to 22-23 wins NOT that 22-23 wins would get Wake into The Dance.

He was clearly stating for Wake to feel good about going to the Dance they will need 22-23 wins & he doesn't see that happening.

That is hard to argue with as Wake could be 12-0 when they play UNC w/o a win worth mentioning on a tournament resume. If they go 12-0 & 9-9, they would probably need a win or two in the ACC tournament to be on right side of the bubble.

READING IS FUNDAMENTAL. Ego isn't.

What he was clearly saying is he didn't see Wake getting to 22-23 wins NOT that 22-23 wins would get Wake into The Dance.

So he was saying it would take 22 and maybe even 23 wins for Wake to be safely in. Which means that depending on how the schedule shakes out 22 might not get us safely in (otherwise he wouldn't have hedged with 22/23). Certainly feeling safe does not equal a 6 seed, right?

FWIW I actually think we have an outside shot (less than 40% though so probably impossible) to win 22-23 games. I think the 5-11 range is pretty clustered and a couple of those teams will end up winning 11-12 conference games. I also don't think a run to Friday of the tournament is outside the realm of possibility.

He was clearly stating for Wake to feel good about going to the Dance they will need 22-23 wins & he doesn't see that happening.

That is hard to argue with as Wake could be 12-0 when they play UNC w/o a win worth mentioning on a tournament resume. If they go 12-0 & 9-9, they would probably need a win or two in the ACC tournament to be on right side of the bubble.

It would obviously depend on who the 9 are. But I think we will have several wins to talk about in the sense of our record against the top 100.

KenPom projects 6 teams to win 8-9 conference games this year (including Wake). Quite the cluster in the middle.

I don't buy the argument that our OOC SOS is going to keep us out of anything this year. Assuming we win 10-12 of those games and finish above .500 in the ACC (w/ a win or two against the top teams), I don't think there would be much to sweat on selection Sunday.

Of course, the simple math there would be that those two things = 20+ wins.

Looking at the schedule, there aren't any RPI killing games against 300+ level teams.

I really think we'll do well in the ACC standings this year... We may or may not be an improved team, but I think the middle of the ACC has come back enough that we can rise in the standings and get over .500.

Back