• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

CONQUERED! WE DON'T FEAR THE SPEAR!

Yeah the helmets were bad. The only good looking helmet we have is the back with gold WF. The C3PO crap and the cartoon Deacon yesterday are stupid af, especially in a nationally televised game.

The gloss black helmets with the gold WF logo are classy and still our best look.

But the kids like the matte black and the gold chrome so whatever as long as they play well and win. :thumbsup:

Clawson has done a great job building the program. He has turned this into a real football team. That should not be discounted as it is the hardest and most important part of coaching.

That said, I don't think Clawson will ever be anything except mindnumbingly conservative on offense. It cost us this game and should have cost us the game at App. I doubt it would help to fire Ruggerio as the OC usually reflects the head coach. Clawson seems like a replica of Grobe.

It's very frustrating to watch as it is evident that the conservative play calls are the low percentage plays as well as unentertaining. Perfect coach for LOWF.

Totally wrong. Turnovers and special teams cost us the game. The end.

Totally wrong. Turnovers and special teams cost us the game. The end.
This was the difference. At times both the offense and defense made big plays but they both also made critical mistakes. Both were still better than their counterparts on FSU's team. FSU didn't make special teams mistakes, we did.

This was the difference. At times both the offense and defense made big plays but they both also made critical mistakes. Both were still better than their counterparts on FSU's team. FSU didn't make special teams mistakes, we did.

Yup, not anymore complicated than that.

Teams win all the time with turnovers and special teams mistakes and FSU had plenty of mistakes that caused the game to be tied with a minute or two left.

Running on first and second down when runs were averaging 1 yard per play and not passing when passing was averaging 6 yards per play cost us the game.

You remember wrong

Pretty sure I'm not...Rusty threw it 421 times in 11 games his senior year...1995. That's nearly a 40 attempts per game avg. Kuklick threw it nearly 400 times in 96 and 98 and led the ACC in passing his senior year. Those teams' records? 1-10, 3-8, 3-8. Which is kind of my point....Wake Forest has been at its most competitive when we play good defense and efficient yet sometimes conservative offense.

FSU won the game yesterday by going conservative. With 1:30 left in the game FSU had the ball on our 39 with a 4th and 1 situation. The aggressive play would be to go for it!!! Step on the throat!!!! They made the smart play, which happened to be conservative. Deacs9394 is right that being aggressive is not always the right tactic.

Pretty sure I'm not...Rusty threw it 421 times in 11 games his senior year...1995. That's nearly a 40 attempts per game avg. Kuklick threw it nearly 400 times in 96 and 98 and led the ACC in passing his senior year. Those teams' records? 1-10, 3-8, 3-8. Which is kind of my point....Wake Forest has been at its most competitive when we play good defense and efficient yet sometimes conservative offense.

Caldwell was anything but risky. Throwing the ball doesn't make you risky. Caldwell was, and is, conservative as hell.

FSU won the game yesterday by going conservative. With 1:30 left in the game FSU had the ball on our 39 with a 4th and 1 situation. The aggressive play would be to go for it!!! Step on the throat!!!! They made the smart play, which happened to be conservative. Deacs9394 is right that being aggressive is not always the right tactic.

I doubt they would have done that against an aggressive offense.

And for the record, we threw on all 3 plays the prior series and went three and out. 2 dump offs to Colburn and the miss on the throw to a wide open Dortch about 5 yards past the chains.

This post is spot on of why we should have thrown the ball on the second to last drive. We threw it three times on the drive before and gained yardage on both first and second down and absent good plays from their defense would have had a first down after the first two plays.

On third down Wolford missed a relatively easy throw to a wide open receiver for an easy first down.

Clearly when we got the call back with two minutes left attacking them with a similar set of plays would have had a much higher chance of success than starting with two running plays.

Back