• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Clawson Credibile! (will reconsider if he sits Newman for another scrappy gym rat QB)

Yeah but his impractical mickey mouse RPO offense is so painful to watch at times. Especially when its being run by a gym rat who can barely see over the line, and who's scared to death that he's going to die if he makes the wrong read. I've hated it since day one. Last night was SO SO much better.

So you think the performance on offense was more important to the win last night versus the performance of the defense?

So you think the performance on offense was more important to the win last night versus the performance of the defense?

No but the defense played well enough to win against cuse but the offense didn't show up. It was nice to see both sides step up when needed last night.

Slowed down, rational pacing and offensive play calling allowed the defense to stayed rested and focused. Clawson said it himself in a post game interview. Glad he finally realized it, like several of us have for years.

My hope is that he can grow and evolve into a more strategic game planner. We'll see.

Last edited:
Yeah but his impractical mickey mouse RPO offense is so painful to watch at times. Especially when its being run by a gym rat who can barely see over the line, and who's scared to death that he's going to die if he makes the wrong read. I've hated it since day one. Last night was SO SO much better.

It's the same offense but with an additional 15-20 for the sidelines and the QB to make reads and for the QB to make checks.

David Glenn just mentioned how teams with similar injury riddled seasons have fared in past years, (Georgia Tech and Duke a few years back and unc last year) but none of them even sniffed a bowl game and wouldn't have stood a chance against a 14th ranked team on the road.

And then the Dave Clawson led Deacs happened...

I've shared this before but it really speaks to the kind of man Dave Clawson is- in 2016, my dad (a '65 Wake grad) had been feeling sick most of the summer. We realized that he was really feeling bad when he decided not to go to the Wake-Tulane season opener. He ended up in the ER on Labor Day and was diagnosed with Stage 4 lung cancer. He went downhill rapidly over the next few weeks. Not only that but I was going through a job change and my family was moving. The only thing that was a distraction from it all was Wake football. My 10 year old and I went to all the games, sitting in my dad's seats that he bought before he got sick. My dad died on October 27. I went to the Wake-Army game that weekend. It was rough but I knew that my dad would have wanted me to go. The fight song started playing before kickoff and I'm sitting there just crying. Anyway, after the great ending to the season, winning the Military Bowl, I wrote Clawson a letter, telling him about my dad and thanking him for the football season and how much it meant to me. This was in January of 2017. I didn't really expect to hear anything back from him.

But one day last fall, my cell phone rang and since it was a WS number, I answered it. And it was Clawson. He called to tell me how much he appreciated my letter and that he had been waiting until that week to call because it was the 1 year anniversary of my dad's death and he knew it would be a tough week for me. And he offered me tickets to the Wake-Louisville game.

Dave Clawson is a great football coach and an even better human being.
AWESOME.

TJDK!

Well, #14 state knows now. :woot:

TJDKESWWTCF
They just don't know, except State who wishes they could forget

Great coaching job Thursday. Let's see how the remainder of the season goes.

Back