• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

KLEMPSUM: Keys to Victory

2006 had some good players, but this one might be better.

That starting line was Jamil Smith, Jyles Tucker, Jeremy Thompson, and Zach Stukes? Is that correct, Boo Robinson was a RS freshman too I think?

Last edited:
That starting line was Jamil Smith, Jyles Tucker, Jeremy Thompson, and Stokes? Is that correct, Boo Robinson was a RS freshman too I think?

Yes, Boo received a lot of PT as a frosh, Bryan Andrews (DE), Anthony Davis (DE), John Russell (DT), Zach Stukes (DT), Antonio Wilson (DE), were also in the rotation. Each one of those guys could play.

Stukes was a starter. The other DE spot rotated between Anthony Davis, Bryan Anderson, and maybe Smith, who was more of DT.

Matt Robinson missed that year due to injury.

Yes, Boo received a lot of PT as a frosh, Bryan Andrews (DE), Anthony Davis (DE), John Russell (DT), Zach Stukes (DT), Antonio Wilson (DE), were also in the rotation. Each one of those guys could play.

I think what I like about our line now is they really aren't undersized. Zeek is 300+, Yarbury is 290ish, Duke is 275 and Dunn is a very solid 250. As good as the 2006 guys were I think most were still a little undersized for their position, except for maybe Boo. Jyles Tucker was a good sized DE, but he got moved to DT.

The Hinton-Wolford issue is over IMO. Wolford clearly won and there's no reason he should relinquish the starting spot.

Don't really know how people who have watched Wake play this year really believe that Hinton would be doing a better job than a guy who leads the team in rushing, has thrown 8 TDs to 1 interception (which wasn't on Wolford at all), has a 152.4 QB rating, a 63.2 completion percentage, and has led the team to a 4-1 record.

Yep, Wolford looks really really good this year. Don’t want anyone else under center.

Again those are padded stats thanks in large part to PC and USU. 7 TDs vs. those 2 alone. Only 1 TD against others. Would love to know Wolfords QBR against just BC, FSU and ASU.

Here is a stat to make my point and if you want to keep living off patsies for your comfort then so be it, but 20 of the 24 pass completions vs. FSU were screens, bubble screens or sideline passes. So only 4 passes completed downfield. That is going to be a huge issue if we keep thinking we can live off the short passing game as great Ds are going to press big time and shut us down. As someone else said it was curious why FSU didn't press more but they probably thought their DL would create enough havoc and were willing to give those up knowing they would shut us down in red zone. Which they did by and large if not for a huge fumble they gave up near their redzone.

Right. This is the offense we run. If Hinton were better and we could run a different better offense with him then we would be.

I mean we didn’t dominate FSU on offense but that’s one of the best defenses we will play all year and we gained 367 yards. I don’t see why that’s not attainable against most of the other teams we play - almost all of which are worse defensively than FSU

Rarely do you see bad teams with a great DLs, but great teams always have good/great DLs (Bama and Clemson being Exhibit A and B). Not a coincidence that WF's best teams have come when WF has had its best DLs (you can go back to Caldwell's 1998 team which was anchored by Deacon great Fred Robbins); really hard to win, when teams can run the ball, and you have no pass rush. Clawson has made recruiting DL a priority, which is smart.

What gives you any reason to think we will have enough time to throw deep against Clemson?

You can easily throw downfield without much time - see my post above. Take a three step drop and let it fly. Takes <2 seconds. If a receiver has one on one coverage, especially on the outside with no deep safety, run a go route and give him a chance to make a play. If he's well covered, throw it back shoulder. If he has a step, hit him in stride. Most likely outcome for Wake is probably an incompletion, but a catch turns into a huge play for us, and PI should be much more likely than an INT.

Congrats to the defense. Lots of hard work go into that stat.

Yeah we set a school record for tackles for loss by four tackles (18 - previous record was 14).

Back