• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Slaughter in vegas

Honest question, dude: wtf do you need three handguns?

I have two handguns and a shotgun.

The first handgun I purchased was a Bodyguard .380 which I carried back in college when I drove a medical route during the Summer. I started out in Greensboro, went up to Virginia, came back into North Wilks, then finished up around Star, NC and Rockingham. I carried prescription meds, Narcotics, Sharps, and anything else that needed to be delivered to nursing or home care facilities. We had two robberies in 2011 where our drivers were held at gunpoint in between stops. I carried every time I drove.

My second handgun is a Glock 23 which I purchased when I moved to Charlotte last year. It was purchased as a home defense weapon and remains in my bedroom.

The third is a shotgun that my grandpa passed to me in his will. Never fired it

Anyone find out why it looks like he had 2 different hotel rooms many rooms apart?

@SD3

I was 17 when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 came out. It was the same year I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and it was the first game I bought. I played that level. I know literally dozens of friends and family that played that level. And none of them have ever committed a gun-related crime. I bet this terrorist that shot these people in Las Vegas had never even heard of that level.

Video games do not cause gun violence. It is the laziest, most inaccurate argument (seems like those are the only kind the right has). I don't like blanket statements, but NO ONE has ever played a violent video game and become inspired to recreate it in real life without many other underlying circumstances.

Was this not close enough? Obama did nothing

"During the first two years of Obama’s Presidency, Democrats held the legislative and executive branches but still faced a 5–4 conservative majority on the Supreme Court. But 2 of those conservatives were fairly moderate, leading to narrow rulings in favor of preserving Obamacare and legalizing gay marriage, for example."

Obama actually did a tremendous amount for mental health care, by putting it on equal footing with physical when it comes to insurance coverage. Many insurance plans excluded mental health or only partially covered treatment but the ACA required insurance to cover it equally. Worth noting that all ACA repeal attempts eliminated those requirements.

@SD3

I was 17 when Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 came out. It was the same year I got an Xbox 360 for Christmas, and it was the first game I bought. I played that level. I know literally dozens of friends and family that played that level. And none of them have ever committed a gun-related crime. I bet this terrorist that shot these people in Las Vegas had never even heard of that level.

Video games do not cause gun violence. It is the laziest, most inaccurate argument (seems like those are the only kind the right has). I don't like blanket statements, but NO ONE has ever played a violent video game and become inspired to recreate it in real life without many other underlying circumstances.

I mean I know literally dozens of friends that own guns and have never killed anyone? Two can play that game. My argument was we normalize and champion media that glorifies exactly what we're all trying to prevent and no one wants to even mention it when looking for solutions.

More people died last night than on any single day of America's wars in Afghanistan or Iraq.

I mean I know literally dozens of friends that own guns and have never killed anyone? Two can play that game. My argument was we normalize and champion media that glorifies exactly what we're all trying to prevent and no one wants to even mention it when looking for solutions.

How are video games any different than movies? TV shows?

Handguns in the hand of citizens who have a clean record and have been thoroughly checked for mental disorders or red flags and legally purchased the handgun are ok. Video games that don't have playable scenes where kids walk into an airport as Russians and gun down a thousand innocent people or scenes closely related to that story line are ok.

ref:

man, this is so much more gross than i remember.

Last edited:
I'd vote to repeal the 2nd amendment, but if we are talking about other possible solutions, this twitter thread seems kind of interesting. Basically cost internalization.

I am deeply sympathetic to this view, but it's been litigated already and failed. I can't imagine courts ever reversing course. (If they did, though, I'd want to hold Big Pharma liable for opioids too.)

Any of those friends could kill someone today with their guns. None of them are going to kill anyone with their video games.

Banning "violent" video games is about #179 on the list of effective solutions.

But again, those who have handguns for self protection aren't know much for their logic and/or sound reasoning.

Back