• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Slaughter in vegas

There's way too much traffic in an out of Vegas to have metal detectors everywhere. I mean like 30-60 people per minute are going in and out of the hotel rooms. I've been at the Wynn plenty of times and never did I have to go through a metal detector.

Yeah can you imagine how inconvenient it would be to have metal detectors or an invasive search of yourself and your property at a location tens of thousands of Americans use daily?

Also Sailor, "for the time being" seems to imply that the trend is towards more ISIS attacks in America compared to attacks by "lone wolf" style attacks. The opposite is occurring.

I realize that my opinion may be unpopular on this forum, but how exactly do "buybacks" actually help? First, the government can't buy back something they never owned. Second, most of the weapons are turned in by the very people that are potential targets of gun violence, leaving them without a way to defend themselves. Criminals aren't turning these guns in- it's little old ladies that don't want their deceased husband's gun in the house because they never learned how to properly handle or shoot it. And they turn it in for a fraction of what it is worth (with some exceptions). Gun "buybacks" are nothing but wastes of tax dollars that make local politicians feel good without actually doing anything productive.

Perhaps a better option is for the local police to offer to train the public to properly use a firearm, learn good gun safety, and respect the power that it represents so the everybody won't be so crazy when the see one. And if they still don't want a gun in the house, let dealers come from outside the city, where gun violence isn't an issue, and buy them at fair market value.

There's nothing evil about a gun. It is a tool that can be used for evil or good, depending on who is using it.

Where do you think criminals get guns?

Buybacks help because they get guns from people who don't necessarily want them, which prevents them from being stolen and ending up in the wrong hands.

Many of the biggest cities have strict gun laws. Guns make it into the cities after being purchased in neighboring areas or states with more lax gun laws. (Or "where gun violence isn't an issue.")

31lede-gungraphic-blog480.png

unlike some others, I do trust that you understand race and religion are not the same

I do. I also trust that the disdain some on the right have for Muslims is not rooted solely in religious distinctions between Christianity and Islam.

But you can't buy back because the government never owned them. How can you buy something back if it was never yours?

I realize that my opinion may be unpopular on this forum, but how exactly do "buybacks" actually help? First, the government can't buy back something they never owned. Second, most of the weapons are turned in by the very people that are potential targets of gun violence, leaving them without a way to defend themselves. Criminals aren't turning these guns in- it's little old ladies that don't want their deceased husband's gun in the house because they never learned how to properly handle or shoot it. And they turn it in for a fraction of what it is worth (with some exceptions). Gun "buybacks" are nothing but wastes of tax dollars that make local politicians feel good without actually doing anything productive.

Perhaps a better option is for the local police to offer to train the public to properly use a firearm, learn good gun safety, and respect the power that it represents so the everybody won't be so crazy when the see one. And if they still don't want a gun in the house, let dealers come from outside the city, where gun violence isn't an issue, and buy them at fair market value.

There's nothing evil about a gun. It is a tool that can be used for evil or good, depending on who is using it.

Well it's an option to encourage folks to get them off the streets in advance of them being made illegal to own. Better to take your buyout now instead of a felony for possession later.

Respectfully, your better option does nothing to prevent last night. Or any of the recent mass shootings.

There's nothing evil about plutonium either.

But you can't buy back because the government never owned them. How can you buy something back if it was never yours?

I think we've identified the main problem here. Thanks.

Where do you think criminals get guns?

Buybacks help because they get guns from people who don't necessarily want them, which prevents them from being stolen and ending up in the wrong hands.

Many of the biggest cities have strict gun laws. Guns make it into the cities after being purchased in neighboring areas or states with more lax gun laws. (Or "where gun violence isn't an issue.")

31lede-gungraphic-blog480.png

why are these people in Chicago buying all these guns?

Wake Forest's second most famous female alum has weighed in:

hwwnky.jpg

Haven't buyback programs been part of successful gun policies in other countries?

Rob Burgundy, you say that a gun isn't inherently evil yet people can shoot someone because they have a gun as way to stand their ground. Government agents can shoot someone and defend their decision by saying they though the person had a gun.

If the presence or perceived presence of a gun justifies killing, how can we say it's about evil people who haven't done anything with the gun?

I have never looked into it, and don't want it on my search history, but is it really legal to sell automatic rifle conversion kits??????? That seems fucking crazy.

Haven't buyback programs been part of successful gun policies in other countries?

Rob Burgundy, you say that a gun isn't inherently evil yet people can shoot someone because they have a gun as way to stand their ground. Government agents can shoot someone and defend their decision by saying they though the person had a gun.

If the presence or perceived presence of a gun justifies killing, how can we say it's about evil people who haven't done anything with the gun?

Yes. Also, what is the downside to buy back programs? If Ethel turns in Hank's old revolver she will never use for money, what's the downside? The upside is Ethel's revolver isn't stolen and used to gun down some kid in the street.

Is it legal for me to own a working tank? Doesn't it fit the second amendment criteria? Well armed militia, protect my family, sport shooting... I mean, target firing with a tank sounds WAY more fun than with a .22.

And if I need to take up arms against this government or an invading one...I want a tank.

I think at this point it should be illegal for a regular citizen to be able to conceal carry, and there needs to be much stricter regualatuobs on hand gun and assault rifle sales. I own a semi auto hunting rifle, but it is starting to seem very selfish to peruse a hobby that enables other people to be brutally murdered.

Back