• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte Hornets Offseason Thread - Biz back, Monk out, stocking up on TP

Idk, we played two of the worst teams in the league, had to injure their best player and come back down 20 to beat one of them, and the one decent team we did beat was without their HC on the road

Traded Johnny O'Bryant (who was immediately cut) and two 2nd round picks to the Knicks for Willy Hernangomezfernandezrodriguezescobar. I like the deal, O'Bryant was a black hole on offense and played no defense, plus with Cody back he gets no minutes. Willy has some strong offensive skills and can rebound. His defense is currently poor but has room to get better. Essentially we gave up nothing for something, which is always a good move. However, he is stuck behind Dwight and Cody, which makes me think one of them gets moved today, or maybe Frank or (Lord let's hope so) Marvin.

Rumor is that the Cavs are obsessed with getting Kemba, but I don't see any thing they could give up to make it worthwhile even if they take Batum's contract. Unless they did something like Love, IT, and Brooklyn's pick for Kemba and Batum, but I don't see them doing that and I still wouldn't do it, as Brooklyn's pick is useless to a team that has botched almost every high draft pick they've had.

Frenetic comeback to take the Blazers to OT in Portland, but then ran out of gas. This team just is just so inconsistent within each game. The get down by massive amounts, only to come back but then manage to blow it. I guess many NBA teams are like that, but this team seems to take it to a new level.

WOJ reporting Cho is out at the end of the season and Jordan is going to pursue Mitch Kupchak as the new GM.

I assume that means Clifford will be out after the season as well, as the new GM, whoever it ends up being, will want his own coach. Can't say I argue with that, though a Kupchak/Mike Brown combo would not be ideal. Better than the Hinkie/[Redacted] tagteam, however.

Steve Reed on Twitter saying Cho is out effective immediately, not the end of the season. And that the search for a new GM has already started.

Sounds like MJ chose Kemba over the GM who shopped him.

I’d pay attention to Hornets if they hired Hinkie or at least someone who comes with a decent pedigree and some fresh ideas. Kup isn’t going to change anything and MJ is a shit owner. Hornets are definition of treadmill team.

I’d be cool with Kupchak if the other part of the rumor was that MJ wants Kup to groom his UNC bff Buzz Peterson for the GM role, who has nothing but abject failure for the last 15 years in college basketball as his other qualification besides being MJ’s friend. Seems like MJ is just setting himself up for yes men.

Kupchak alone has a pretty strong track record besides those deals to Mozgov and Deng trying to save his job. Infinitely superior to Cho, who wrecked Portland in one season and was a horrific drafter and terrible with money

Doing a strong cocktease by winning 3 in a row, including beating down the Wizards in DC on the second night of a back to back. Everyone is playing well and seems to be playing together. Currently 4 games out of the 8 spot in the loss column, and the Heat have been reeling. 23 games left, and the 3rd easiest schedule in the League for the remainder. We'll see how it plays out.

Here we go, up to 5 in a row and each win has been pretty impressive. Collectively they are playing their best ball of the year by far. A tough short road trip starting tomorrow at Boston, Philly, and Toronto, but Boston is a loss anyway so might as well waste a backtoback on it. The Philly game is big, as going 1-2 on this trip would be strong given the rest of the upcoming schedule. We have a bunch of games against tanking teams, so plenty of opportunity to try to get in.

Hornets probably end the playoff hopes with a loss that sums up the Clifford era for all but 2 seasons. Winning for 2.75 quarters, lose the lead once the 5 man bench unit comes in late in the third (what is staggering??), puts the starters in too late to regain the momentum that has shifted completely in the other team’s favor, put in the hot hand that night even later than the other starters (Batum tonight), lose

Bringing this back as Kemba became the Hornets' all-time leading scorer last night, which is a big accomplishment. He has repeatedly said he would like to play his entire career here, so hopefully he will get the chance and we can surround him with some decent talent moving forward.

That said, Clifford is a goddamn fool. Bacon and Monk are pretty damn good when they get to play extended minutes and the team has played much better with them getting PT, yet he had them on the bench for most of the season while the team fell out of playoff contention in favor of Batum and Marvin who are both borderline starters at this point. There is no reason that this team shouldn't be in the playoffs with the current roster. The talent is there, it has just been horribly mismanaged.

I really don’t understand how the guy famous for being the most competitive guy ever hasn’t fired Cliff and didn’t cut MCW. Both flat out incompetent

Jordan sucked in Mgt. in DC and has sucked in Charlotte. Why would you expect to suddenly improve.

Washington it seemed he was too hands on, this season seems to indicate to me he went the complete opposite direction and hasn’t done anything, like a Kobe game where he would do nothing but pass after getting a ton of criticism

Back