• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte Hornets Offseason Thread - Biz back, Monk out, stocking up on TP

Washington it seemed he was too hands on, this season seems to indicate to me he went the complete opposite direction and hasn’t done anything, like a Kobe game where he would do nothing but pass after getting a ton of criticism

HUH? We was a failure due to his choices. He took Kwame Brown with the #1 pick and traded the young Rip Hamilton for the over the hill Jerry Stackhouse.

MJ may not be Zeke bad as an NBA executive, but MJ has sucked for both teams.

HUH? We was a failure due to his choices. He took Kwame Brown with the #1 pick and traded the young Rip Hamilton for the over the hill Jerry Stackhouse.

MJ may not be Zeke bad as an NBA executive, but MJ has sucked for both teams.

Did you even read what he wrote? He said that in Washington he was too hands on (Kwame, Rip, etc), and in CLT he hasn't had his hands in much of anything. I think that is true ... I don't think he is involved in any of the day to day player issues. He has focused on, and done a great job of, getting the fans back after the Bobcat debacle, selling tickets, and engaging the franchise in the public service components of the community. But other than commenting on a potential Kemba trade after the fanbase got pissed, he hasn't been involved in the players much at all.

Mitch Kupchak was announced as the new President/GM yesterday. I know some people hate him because he handed out awful contracts the same summer we handed out our awful contracts, but in my mind he has also made a lot of great moves as well so i don't mind the hire. The real question is what he will do with Clifford. The last few weeks have hammered home his complete mishandling of the roster, as once playoffs were out of reach and they were given extended playing time, Monk and Bacon both exceeded expectations. Some of that can be chalked up to the opposition putting tank-worthy late season talent on the floor as well, but at a minimum both proved they are solid NBA contributors (in addition to Hernangomez, who also impressed, and Frank who again showed that he is a very capable stretch 5 as opposed to a weak 4). The fact that they rode the pine for the bulk of the season while Batum and Marvin rollercoastered the season is inexcusable. Contracts should not dictate playing time. I'll say it again, this team most definitely had the roster talent to make the playoffs, Clifford just bungled the lineups.

Listened to the prime time interview with kup, won’t judge him as many have nailed the presser and then sucked, but holy shit this guy sounds like an old fart just coming in to collect a paycheck and hang around with his unc bros. Does not inspire confidence

Anytime anyone argues Michael Jordan is the greatest competitor of all time you can just point to the Charlotte Hornets

Anytime anyone argues Michael Jordan is the greatest competitor of all time you can just point to the Charlotte Hornets

Being a competitor doesn't necessarily mean that you can pick other people who are competitors, have basketball skills and will fit together well as a team. The best NBA teams, while they have superstars, play well together as a team.

Stackhouse seems to be the early leader in the clubhouse due to the franchise's UNC circlejerk, but obviously Fizdale needs to be at the top of the list. I just hope they move on from Silas.

I tend to agree, and he would be a recognizable face for the franchise. As far as Holes go, he is one of the more likeable ones.

Yeah, I think Stack could be ok but goddamn can they fire Buzz Peterson to make it even?

Fizdale would be sweet if the Knicks don't get there first.

Looks like we are getting Spurs assistant James Borrego. Long-time assistant under Pop who had a 10-20 interim stint as head coach of the Magic a few years ago with an awful roster so can't hold that against him. The Spurs donks may have better insight into him. While Pop is obviously a great coach, I am somewhat wary of hiring an assistant from the Spurs ... is he bringing Duncan, Parker, and Manu with him? "Winning culture" is great when you have a core of HOF players, but without that can he turn decent players into really good players? I guess we'll see.

Looks like we are getting Spurs assistant James Borrego. Long-time assistant under Pop who had a 10-20 interim stint as head coach of the Magic a few years ago with an awful roster so can't hold that against him. The Spurs donks may have better insight into him. While Pop is obviously a great coach, I am somewhat wary of hiring an assistant from the Spurs ... is he bringing Duncan, Parker, and Manu with him? "Winning culture" is great when you have a core of HOF players, but without that can he turn decent players into really good players? I guess we'll see.

I have faith that with enough will power, we can bring the coaching vs talent debate to this thread too.

More interesting is whether hiring a 41 year old and talking exclusively about player development is a signal we’re about to blow it up and say bye to Kemba

I don't think so, I still maintain that the younger guys who need developing are just as good as the guys whose contracts we can't get rid of. Barring a miracle we aren't unloading Batum's contract, so he is on the team regardless and the roster is what it is. But I think Monk/Bacon give us a better chance to win right now even as they are developing, obviously we didn't win much lately with Batum having a big role.

Regarding Batum, the one thing that keeps jumping out at me is Melo. He clearly wants out of OKC, and his contract is expiring next year. No established FA is going to go there to play with Russ, it is clear that it just doesn't work. But Batum would actually be a great fit ... he has no desire to be top dog, he can defer and playmake to Westbrook and Adams and whatever third option they can find, and he'll be happy with Westbrook taking all the shots. Would OKC admit the situation and trade Melo for Batum? We would be stuck with Melo for a year, and he and D12 might kill each other, but it would clear up the cap situation really fast and show a commitment to Kemba.

I don't think so, I still maintain that the younger guys who need developing are just as good as the guys whose contracts we can't get rid of. Barring a miracle we aren't unloading Batum's contract, so he is on the team regardless and the roster is what it is. But I think Monk/Bacon give us a better chance to win right now even as they are developing, obviously we didn't win much lately with Batum having a big role.

Regarding Batum, the one thing that keeps jumping out at me is Melo. He clearly wants out of OKC, and his contract is expiring next year. No established FA is going to go there to play with Russ, it is clear that it just doesn't work. But Batum would actually be a great fit ... he has no desire to be top dog, he can defer and playmake to Westbrook and Adams and whatever third option they can find, and he'll be happy with Westbrook taking all the shots. Would OKC admit the situation and trade Melo for Batum? We would be stuck with Melo for a year, and he and D12 might kill each other, but it would clear up the cap situation really fast and show a commitment to Kemba.

Melo has a full no trade clause. No way he waives it to play in Charlotte

What if LeBron comes to play for the hornets so he can force MJ to pay him to become the goat

Melo has a full no trade clause. No way he waives it to play in Charlotte

So he would rather stay in fucking Oklahoma on a team he clearly does not want to play on? Who else is trading for him at that salary? Hell, the Hornets could buy his ass out at full price and let him go sign with Lebron. He would go for that in a heartbeat.

Back