• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte Hornets Offseason Thread - Biz back, Monk out, stocking up on TP

Yep. He is. He's been back-up on a bad team for his entire career. A career 50.4% shooter for a post player is not good. If the Hornets hadn't taken Morrison, he'd be the biggest lottery miss in franchise history.

What are you talking about? Zeller is the perfect center for what people think of as today's NBA. He runs the floor quickly on every possession, can block shots, rebounds, gets after loose balls on the floor, has good lateral quickness in the post, has good hands, and can finish at the rim. He doesn't have back to the basket post moves, but neither does anyone else in the NBA's current coveted "elite rim protector" role. It isn't his fault that he has been forced to pay a more traditional low post role because the wings around him have sucked on offense. Switch Zeller and Capella from the their teams and they put up similar numbers. Yet some idiot is about to give Capella a max contract and you view Zeller as a lottery miss.

What are you talking about? Zeller is the perfect center for what people think of as today's NBA. He runs the floor quickly on every possession, can block shots, rebounds, gets after loose balls on the floor, has good lateral quickness in the post, has good hands, and can finish at the rim. He doesn't have back to the basket post moves, but neither does anyone else in the NBA's current coveted "elite rim protector" role. It isn't his fault that he has been forced to pay a more traditional low post role because the wings around him have sucked on offense. Switch Zeller and Capella from the their teams and they put up similar numbers. Yet some idiot is about to give Capella a max contract and you view Zeller as a lottery miss.

Agree. I'm not sure what the record is with Zeller starting and with him not starting but am pretty sure Hornets win more when Zeller plays a lot.

It took me a long time to come around on Cody but my only problem with him now is the health

No they don't. Zeller has never and will never be the defender or rebounder Capella is and Capella is improving. Even as a rookie playing only 7.5mpg he blocked within 1/10 of a block of what Zeller averaged for his best season in 3-4 times as many minutes.

Zeller is what he will be, a back-up center.

over/under on how many games rj has watched zeller play on the hornets?

.5?

Reactions: Ayo
over/under on how many games rj has watched zeller play on the hornets?

.5?
Lol, had a similar thought. Absolutely 0% chance RJ watched a second of the Hornets last year besides maybe when they were playing the Sixers.

Zeller was a starter on a 48-34 team in the 2016 season, the hornets were 33-29 in the 2017 season when he was healthy and the starter and 3-17 when he was out, and 2018 he was injured most of the year and Dwight Howard was the starter. He’s not flashy but is a good modern center. Just can’t stay healthy the last season and a half now which is obviously a bad sign

Zeller was a starter on a 48-34 team in the 2016 season, the hornets were 33-29 in the 2017 season when he was healthy and the starter and 3-17 when he was out, and 2018 he was injured most of the year and Dwight Howard was the starter. He’s not flashy but is a good modern center. Just can’t stay healthy the last season and a half now which is obviously a bad sign

This.

Glad to see Charlotte fans are as smart as their front office

Tony Parker to Hornets on two year deal. He will back up Kemba.

Bridges with an all time stinker. Looked fat, slow, unable to handle the ball, and unable to knock down open shots. Monk continued his good play from the end of the season. Bacon flashed some 3 and D potential

I like the Biyombo trade, gets rid of Mozgov who was never going to play and they basically had the same contract. I would much rather overpay for Biyombo who can help rather than Mozgov who I doubt would ever even show up. So basically they traded Dwight for Biz and 4 second round picks. That is a decent net. But have to wonder if another trade is coming as now have Zeller, Hernangomez, Biyombo, and Frank in a logjam at the 5, though have to anticipate the inevitable Zeller injury. Hernangomez has looked good in summer league, so I would be hesitant to let him go.

Bringing in Parker is huge. He isn't great at this point, but has the relationship with Borrego and can coach up Monk and even help Kemba. Even with his reduced skills, having him over Sessions and MCW is a massive upgrade over the past two years when Kemba is off the floor. Plus maybe the French connection with Batum will help get his ass in gear.

The downside is that Monk broke his thumb and is out 6-8 weeks. Hopefully he can be fully back before the season starts. He played great at the end of the year and supposedly was fantastic in camp.

I hated the Frank pick and hate that he's on the team. Any idea what the trade value for him is at this point?

Eh, not sure. He is serviceable and still on a friendly contract so I don't think they would trade him as a stand-alone trade piece as he is worth more to them than they could likely get for him. Especially if Borrego is focused on spreading the floor as he is at his best as a stretch 5.

I think if/when he gets traded depends if he can be packaged as part of a larger deal. I've seen speculation of like him and Lamb for Jabari Parker, but I'm not sure how realistic that is given Parker's contract situation. But I could see him packaged in something like that together with Lamb or MKG, or if someone is dumb enough to take him with Batum and picks (Kevin Love, come on down).

It's always cracked me up with how okay 2&2 is with the Hornets staying in the pit of NBA mediocrity forever, yet when it comes to the NFL and ELIte, it's RINGS OR BUST.

I'm not okay with them staying in mediocrity, but I also don't think that a Sixers-style Process is the only or best way to get out of mediocrity. The four most successful franchises of the last 20 years in terms of championships - Spurs, Warriors, Heat, and Lakers - had nothing near the Process to gain their success. There is definitely some luck and good timing involved in their strategies, but the overwhelming reasons for their success were simply good talent evaluation, roster composition, and coaching.

I'm not okay with them staying in mediocrity, but I also don't think that a Sixers-style Process is the only or best way to get out of mediocrity. The four most successful franchises of the last 20 years in terms of championships - Spurs, Warriors, Heat, and Lakers - had nothing near the Process to gain their success. There is definitely some luck and good timing involved in their strategies, but the overwhelming reasons for their success were simply good talent evaluation, roster composition, and coaching.

Not sure Michael is capable of that strategy. He might inadvertently start "the process" while trying to upgrade the roster.

Back