• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte Hornets Offseason Thread - Biz back, Monk out, stocking up on TP

I'm not okay with them staying in mediocrity, but I also don't think that a Sixers-style Process is the only or best way to get out of mediocrity. The four most successful franchises of the last 20 years in terms of championships - Spurs, Warriors, Heat, and Lakers - had nothing near the Process to gain their success. There is definitely some luck and good timing involved in their strategies, but the overwhelming reasons for their success were simply good talent evaluation, roster composition, and coaching.

The Heat won because Shaq got pissed at Kobe and Lebron decided to play with Dwade. Charlotte isn't a destination city.

The Spurs and Warriors basically created their teams through the draft. The Spurs got the #1 pick and then mined Parker and Ginobili. The Warriors got Steph, Klay and Draymond through the draft. The Hornets have never shown the ability to draft.

The Lakers got the Hornets to trade them Kobe. Nice move...then got Shaq to come to the team. Charlotte doesn't entice top players to go there.

All of those teams go back to competent ownership and excellence in the front office. The Hornets have neither. Without blowing up the team, the best you can hope for is a string of luck. MJ is a bad owner/executive.

Good new is that Monk's hand is not fractured and he should be okay. Bad news is that Devonte Graham hurt his knee and is out indefinitely, I think he has a good shot of becoming a serviceable backup PG.

I'm not okay with them staying in mediocrity, but I also don't think that a Sixers-style Process is the only or best way to get out of mediocrity. The four most successful franchises of the last 20 years in terms of championships - Spurs, Warriors, Heat, and Lakers - had nothing near the Process to gain their success. There is definitely some luck and good timing involved in their strategies, but the overwhelming reasons for their success were simply good talent evaluation, roster composition, and coaching.

The Spurs executed a Sixers style Process, it just only took them one draft and two seasons to win a ship because they got Tim fucking Duncan out of it

Because Robinson got hurt, not because it was a particular strategy. That is the good luck and timing, not any intended strategy.

Of the options listed above, the only viable option for the Hornets to ever be a contender is the Spurs/Warriors model, which you know, only involved either landing the best power forward of all time in the draft as well as two other hall of famers through excellent scouting and then retaining the best coach in the league, or drafting ridiculously well for 4-5 straight years to load up a team with exceptional MVP talent and then becoming a place where other top level talent wants to play. Charlotte is never going to be a FA destination (at least until proven to be a competently run franchise with opportunity to be on a winner), so the Lakers/Heat would never happen. Given how terrible MJ has proven to be as a talent evaluator, it could only ever be an obvious can't miss prospect like Anthony Davis falling into our lap at the top of the draft is the only way this team is ever any good.

Of the options listed above, the only viable option for the Hornets to ever be a contender is the Spurs/Warriors model, which you know, only involved either landing the best power forward of all time in the draft as well as two other hall of famers through excellent scouting and then retaining the best coach in the league, or drafting ridiculously well for 4-5 straight years to load up a team with exceptional MVP talent and then becoming a place where other top level talent wants to play. Charlotte is never going to be a FA destination (at least until proven to be a competently run franchise with opportunity to be on a winner), so the Lakers/Heat would never happen. Given how terrible MJ has proven to be as a talent evaluator, it could only ever be an obvious can't miss prospect like Anthony Davis falling into our lap at the top of the draft is the only way this team is ever any good.
I'd settle for us drafting ridiculously well for one draft.

Because Robinson got hurt, not because it was a particular strategy. That is the good luck and timing, not any intended strategy.

Robinson sat after he got healthy. Pop took over to ensure the tank.

Is TP totally washed PH? I'm assuming he is but would be nice to hear from a spurs fan

Not completely. He’s not the player he used to be but he’s capable of being a quality backup.

Will players the quality and popularity of Alonzo Mourning and Grandmama ever want to play in Charlotte again?

Kemba is in his prime and arguably the same or better than those two. He'll re-sign if they pay him properly. Neither of those two were FAs who played in Charlotte by choice, they were both drafted by the Hornets and later traded away.

Do you have drug tests for your employees? If so, they should demand you take one.

Kemba is a Hall of Famer like Zo? Really????

While on the Hornets, Grandmama scored as much Kemba. Obviously, there's no comparison in rebounding. I was surprised to see that LJ averaged 4 apg as a Hornet vs. only 5.4 apg for Kemba as the primary ballhandler.

Who dafuq do you think Kemba's supposed to pass to ?

So I come to check in on the happenings for my local NBA team, and instead I get to see an RJ-fest. Yay!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee.

So I come to check in on the happenings for my local NBA team, and instead I get to see an RJ-fest. Yay!!! Wheeeeeeeeeee.

Typical, BS response by you...rather than challenge what I post you go after me.

Do you believe Kemba Walker is a Hall of Fame player like Zo?

Typical, BS response by you...rather than challenge what I post you go after me.

Do you believe Kemba Walker is a Hall of Fame player like Zo?

I never said he was. And it's pretty hard to compare the two, anyways.

It's just amusing you're on a Hornets thread. Don't you live in CA and cheer for the Sixers?

and the Spurs...I'm an NBA fan.

You can't be serious in saying it's hard to compare a Hall of Famer to Kemba Walker. I doubt you could find a GM in NBA history who wouldn't laugh at trying to equate Kemba to Zo or even saying "it's pretty hard to compare the two".

Kemba is in his prime and arguably the same or better than those two. He'll re-sign if they pay him properly. Neither of those two were FAs who played in Charlotte by choice, they were both drafted by the Hornets and later traded away.

Those guys made charlotte matter in the NBA. Right now Charlotte could not matter less. Hence my question.

Those guys made charlotte matter in the NBA. Right now Charlotte could not matter less. Hence my question.

They made Charlotte matter because they were there together and also with Muggsy, Curry, etc. Kemba has had virtually no help. I am optimistic that Monk may be that second guy, but we'll see.

Back