• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Official Charlotte Hornets Offseason Thread - Biz back, Monk out, stocking up on TP

Decent road win at Detroit today after two customary end-game home collapses against Dallas and OKC sandwiching a home win versus the Jazz. Hopefully starting to turn the corner, but it is tough to tell. Clifford comes back this week, I don't know if that helps or hurts.

Crushed the Wizards at home last night in Clifford's first game back, scored 73 in the first half. Amazing what happens when Batum plays well, but annoying to get so much inconsistency from a max contract. This was the first of a 5-game homestand so hopefully they can continue to play well and make up some ground.

Rumors that they may be shopping Kemba as a way to get someone to take Batum's albatross. That would be a horrific move in virtually every respect. He is the best player on the team but is only the 6th-highest-paid player, one of the few who outperforms his contract. Plus the face of the franchise and by far the fan favorite. What the hell would they get back, another bad contract and a mid-1st pick that they would then blow? That is awful. They have two young/talented players on the roster and they ride the pine. If they want to get younger and re-set, just stick Batum and Marvin on the bench and let Monk and Bacon play without having to trade the best player on the team. Absent a top-3 pick they aren't getting guys better than those two anyway.

Trading Kemba would sink this team to a top 3 pick. We’re bad already and completely god awful when he’s not in

Gotta trade value to get value. Not sure Kemba Walker can carry a playoff team. He’s basically proven that. Might as well blow
It up and start over.

But you don't trade proven value to get speculative value. MKG, Zeller, Frank, and Monk are all top-10 picks and none of them can carry a playoff team either. Why would the next pick be any different? Kemba is the outlier, not the norm. Keep him and build around him, don't trade him away for speculation.

But you don't trade proven value to get speculative value. MKG, Zeller, Frank, and Monk are all top-10 picks and none of them can carry a playoff team either. Why would the next pick be any different? Kemba is the outlier, not the norm. Keep him and build around him, don't trade him away for speculation.

What do you expect to get back?

I’m not a “if you’re not competing for titles you should blow it up” guy, as that means the NBA is pointless for all but a couple franchises. If the team plays good basketball and is fun to watch, that’s enough for me to not want to blow it up. I don’t want to lose Kemba, but the way I look at it is this team isn’t just bad, it isn’t fun to watch at all. In an ideal world I’d blow it up by dumping almost everyone but Kemba. But realistically, everyone except Kemba and Lamb that Cho has given an extension to has a bad contract. We’ll probably have to trade Kemba to start over.

I don’t want Cho over the team either way though. Dude sucks

Last edited:
I want trades that lead to a team capable of annually competing for the playoffs each year. That’s not unreasonable.

Just because this team doesn’t draft well, it doesn’t mean that success in a market like Charlotte isn’t ultimately found through the draft.

Not a very good history of drafting difference makers Michael.

I still hold that drafting Cody Zeller over Nerlens Noel was the first piece of building this shitty roster. At least Noel had trade value.

Giannis would be dope, but Booker over Frank would have solved a lot of our problems as well. And that’s not even an out of left field opinion that no one would have thought before the draft

What do you expect to get back?

For Kemba and Batum? Probably someone else's shitty contract and a first round pick that ends up being 10-20. Kemba is significantly better than than a 10-20 pick, so I would never make that trade.

I think you get significantly more back if you package Kemba and D12, but that is the worst of all worlds as you lose your two best players but still have Batum and Marvin's contracts so are still stuck.

Giannis would be dope, but Booker over Frank would have solved a lot of our problems as well. And that’s not even an out of left field opinion that no one would have thought before the draft

Booker and Monk are basically the same player, and Monk doesn't see the floor for some inexplicable reason. I still maintain that just sitting Batum and Marvin on the bench and letting Monk and Bacon play helps solve the younger / athletic / tremendous upside potential search. That's a coaching move, not a roster move.

ETA: Absent getting a top 2 or 3 pick, which isn't going to happen and which they still would likely screw up, I don't see getting back a pick that results in a player with more upside than Monk. So why would you trade your best player for someone who is worse than someone already on the team who you don't play? That is nonsensical. Just to get rid of Batum's contract, with no assurances that they would use the cap room to sign anyone decent anyway.

Last edited:
I mean, drafting Booker not only solves our secondary scorer issue, it means we wouldnt have needed to pay Batum an ungodly amount. Or we could've resigned Batum as our third guy (the role he excelled in with Lin that season) and dropped MKG.

Drafting Turner also would have shut down the need for giving Marv the huge contract as well

I do agree with you though, we don’t develop guys at all. Frank and Monk came in as dead eye shooters, both are now afraid to shoot. Cody was thought of as a guy who could develop range, he is absolutely terrified to shoot. MKG’s still has no 3, but I think the injuries have impacted that one so I wouldn’t blame the hornets necessarily.

Last edited:
Yeah to DF07's point about competing for the playoffs, I don't see why the current roster can't compete for the playoffs. I think a competent coaching staff could get this roster to the playoffs without much trouble and without major moves. It isn't going to win a championship, but no reason why it shouldn't be a 4-7 seed.

There aren't many teams close to contending that need a PG

Back