• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The South's 38 essential restaurants

Just too appropriate:

[h=3]Crook’s Corner[/h][FONT=&quot]Chapel Hill, North Carolina[/FONT]

Yeah that honeysuckle sorbet is life changing

Only been to Chef and the Farmer and Prince's. Chef and the Farmer was very good, particularly a pasta and northern bean dish which I could have eaten for days. Desert was also very good, but take note: The Desert Sampler is not small portions of each of 3 or 4 desserts... it is a full sized portion of each. We also stayed at the Mother Earth Motor Lodge, which was pretty cool.

Prince's is absolutely on the other end of the spectrum of gastronomy. Still very good, and I agree that medium is plenty of heat. I will say that Slappy's here in Winston is not exactly the same style (it is a bit wetter than Prince's), but is close enough in preparation and quality to be a reasonable substitute.

Highly recommend Chef and the Farmer and Boiler Room across the street. We've done Boiler Room and the dessert sampler the last two years.

What was Mother Earth Motor Lodge like? Looks cool from the outside.

I live near Kindred and go occasionally. It's great, but it's an odd menu. It's not a meat and three.

Went to 5&10 for brunch several years back and it was awesome

I consider myself a Meat and 3 connoisseur, and Arnolds (on that list) in Nashville is the best I've ever been to. It really is amazing what that place can do with simple foods that I have had hundreds, if not thousands of times. Next time you're in Nashville, check out Princes, but if hot chicken isn't your thing, then hit up Arnolds.

Last edited:
I consider myself a Meat and 3 connoisseur, and Arnolds (on that list) in Nashville is the best I've ever been to. It really is amazing what that place can do with simple foods that I have had hundreds, if not thousands of times. Next time you're in Nashville, check out Princes, but if hot chicken isn't your thing, then hit up Arnolds.

I'd go Hattie B's over Princes

Chicken quality much better

Princes used ghetto yard bird

Highly recommend Chef and the Farmer and Boiler Room across the street. We've done Boiler Room and the dessert sampler the last two years.

What was Mother Earth Motor Lodge like? Looks cool from the outside.

We had a work function at the C&F and stayed here for the night. very very cool. Def recommend for a night.

Nice. We usually stay at the surprisingly nice Hampton Inn in town. I love what Chef Vivian and the Mother Earth guys are doing in Kinston. The bar beside Mother Earth was fun too.

Kids will like the lodge. they have putt putt, shuffle board and a retro pool. very unique place. It feels like Austin Powers shag pad.

Back