• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

RIDE THE HARLEY DOWN THE HILL!!! GO DEACS!

I thought the play calling was too conservative against App and FSU as well. This criticism isn't limited to today.
Fair enough, but App and FSU are both top 30 defensive teams. One we beat, and the other we had dead to right until the 4th quarter. Agreed we've been conservative but more so out of necessity than choice.

Sometimes it is situational aggressiveness. Hit a big play, don't run on 1st down.

Our 1st TD. Big run by Hinton. And then we went play action pass to Washington for the TD on 1st down

Clemson is going to be tough to score on running and throwing in obivious situations. You have to run some, but when you hit a big play and are in their redzone, you should take shots on 1st and 2nd down.

Far better, but playing the #2 ranked team (#7 ranked defense) in the country in a deafening stadium with your back up QB...the play book was probably cut in half and for good reason.

And last week against Florida State??????

And last week against Florida State??????

"Fair enough, but App and FSU are both top 30 defensive teams. One we beat, and the other we had dead to right until the 4th quarter. Agreed we've been conservative but more so out of necessity than choice."

What's the ?

"Fair enough, but App and FSU are both top 30 defensive teams. One we beat, and the other we had dead to right until the 4th quarter. Agreed we've been conservative but more so out of necessity than choice."

What's the ?

You can’t claim that we shortened the play book with Hinton when we ran the same cupcake ass offense last week against Fla State

Hinton started because Wolford was injured. I am sure they did not want to risk putting him out for the season. I did not watch the whole game but based on stats and following on line it looked like Hinton played pretty well considering this might be second best defense in the country.

I agreed with the basis of this thread last week because I believed then and still believe now that the coaches did not "go" for the win at home under conditions that dictated going for it.

Today I take some degree of moral victory in playing toe to toe with Clemson. We had chances in the red zone that we absolutely wasted. (BTW what is up with Weaver). But remember this is a great Clemson defense and our guys kept gig at them and the Defense played like big time men all day long after a quick start by Clemson.

I can hear many of you saying that this is inconsistent. But I don't think so.

The defense's effort today should not go overlooked. After they settled in, they played really well.

That uncalled pick play still pisses me off, too.

(BTW what is up with Weaver)

I mean he put one over the upright (which should have counted, in my opinion) and he badly shanked one that would have been his career long -- clearly going for power. The Clemson kicker missed a pretty straightforward one too. Are we sure something is up? Maybe it's just tough to get a long field goal off in a rockin' stadium with 5 star athletes coming at you. Who knows? There can't be many more high pressure jobs in sports.

The better team won. The final score doesn't reflect the disparity between the two teams and if your bet was on Clemson you are not happy.

The Deacon football team is improved. The defense is capable of contributing to a win against most teams but is challenged to stop top tier offensive teams. The offense is limited by scheme (RPO), play calling, and personnel. It is capable of contributing to a win against poor and average defenses but struggles against good defensive teams. That's why most fans think the team will win 5-7 games.

Glad to see that Hinton played so well yesterday. Most folks were surprised but I wasn't.

Back