• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

WF @ GT October 21 7 pm on ESPN2 or 7:30 on ESPNU

Game Day!!!

Heading to Atlanta in a few hours.
Looking forward to seeing Deacs play with their 'hair on fire' and get a W tonite.

Go Deacs!

From ESPN's ACC blog:

David Hale: Wake’s defense is equipped to slow the option, and Georgia Tech is coming off a physical game against Miami. Moreover, there’s a good case to be made that Wake’s John Wolford will be the best downfield passer Tech has faced this year. Wake Forest 27, Georgia Tech 24

Particularly remarkable for the praise of Wolford's passing ability.

Especially downfield passing.

From ESPN's ACC blog:

David Hale: Wake’s defense is equipped to slow the option, and Georgia Tech is coming off a physical game against Miami. Moreover, there’s a good case to be made that Wake’s John Wolford will be the best downfield passer Tech has faced this year. Wake Forest 27, Georgia Tech 24

Particularly remarkable for the praise of Wolford's passing ability.

That's another prediction for a Wake win.....and all predictions are saying close game in the 20's.
Special teams and turnovers are likely to decide the game today.

GT defensive tends to protect first against the big play but tends to allow shorter plays underneath coverage.
If Wolford is on, this suits us perfectly.

GT defensive tends to protect first against the big play but tends to allow shorter plays underneath coverage.
If Wolford is on, this suits us perfectly.

And Dortch. Let Dortch catch a ball under the coverage in space, see ya later.

DMsilPGUQAADFq8.jpg:large

Looks like OT for lead in game. Is, so a delay to see ours. Maybe not, thought we were nearing 7:30 PM. My mistake.

Last edited:
The have the Tulane game on ESPNU and ESPN 2 here. What's going on?

Now it's on...

People always say that, but stopping the big plays is far more important. Tech can put together 20 play drives from time to time, but it's brutally hard to do consistently even for an option based offense.

Where Tech kills people when we are rolling is with the big plays, both in the running and passing games. It's a really explosive offense that is always trying to hit a home run. Staying disciplined and not allowing those big plays is key.

VT has consistently been a bastard game in large part because Foster doesn't do anything fancy, doesn't gamble and has his defense keep everything we do in front of them (and tackles supremely well). It's boring and conservative, but we have to earn everything against them and never get the easy cheap points that we thrive on against other teams.

I thought WFU did an excellent job in the first half of making us play with discipline on offense, and we weren't able to do it. WFU was plugging gaps and forcing a lot of QB runs and then closing Taquan down quickly (he had something like 12 carries for 20 yards in the first half).

In the second half the WFU gap discipline started to fail and GT hit 3 long TD runs of 40+ yards and it was just too much. The big plays for GT are absolutely essential and we finally got them in the second half.

I thought WFU did an excellent job in the first half of making us play with discipline on offense, and we weren't able to do it. WFU was plugging gaps and forcing a lot of QB runs and then closing Taquan down quickly (he had something like 12 carries for 20 yards in the first half).

In the second half the WFU gap discipline started to fail and GT hit 3 long TD runs of 40+ yards and it was just too much. The big plays for GT are absolutely essential and we finally got them in the second half.

Vad, as I was watching the game I thought about what you had written earlier in the week, and you were absolutely right. The big plays from GT were killer.

Les Johns (who does a phenomenal job covering the Deacs) has several free videos up. One is Clawson's post-game conference. He listed three keys to the game as 1) giving them points through personal fouls, 2) our inability to convert 3rd/4th and short in the second half, and 3) big plays from GT.

Vad, as I was watching the game I thought about what you had written earlier in the week, and you were absolutely right. The big plays from GT were killer.

Les Johns (who does a phenomenal job covering the Deacs) has several free videos up. One is Clawson's post-game conference. He listed three keys to the game as 1) giving them points through personal fouls, 2) our inability to convert 3rd/4th and short in the second half, and 3) big plays from GT.

Poor clock management at the end of the first had a lot to do with the 3 points they got at the end of the half.

Back