• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

2nd Half Season Predictions

We kinda already did this thread ("Last 6 Weeks"), but I'll repeat myself:

I think we wind up 6-6 or 7-5. Which one depends on our motivation and our opponents' motivation in some of the late-season games.

ND the only one that we have a super low (though non-zero) chance of winning

Going into this year I think most of our concerns were the ol and defensive backs. IMHO they have been ok(maybe not great), but good enough to be competitive. My major concern is the receivers and the dropped balls. Doesn't matter how athletic one is if he can't catch the dam ball.

Last year, WF won 3 games where it was a underdog by 5 or more:

- Temple (WF +10.5)
- @ Duke (+5.5)
- @ Indiana (+6)

WF was a slight dog at BC this year.

Beating a ranked Temple team was big upset last year (maybe the biggest out of all the bowl games). Other than @ ND, there is game on the schedule where WF will be a bigger dog than it was against Temple in the Military Bowl.

I wasn't so much talking about point spread as I was about games/teams that it seems like Wake has no chance of winning- FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame, etc. I always feel that Wake has a shot against Duke, Syracuse, NCSU, etc.

I wasn't so much talking about point spread as I was about games/teams that it seems like Wake has no chance of winning- FSU, Clemson, Louisville, Notre Dame, etc. I always feel that Wake has a shot against Duke, Syracuse, NCSU, etc.

Seems to me a ND win could be in the cards as we know everything there is to know about their defense. Makes game planning pretty easy.

It would be awful to finish 4-8, but I can see that happening as well.

Seems to me a ND win could be in the cards as we know everything there is to know about their defense. Makes game planning pretty easy.

I agree. I think Wake will beat at least one out of GT, Louisville, Notre Dame, NCSU and when we do, it would rank with the Temple win as Clawson's biggest win at Wake.

Is our weakest area on defense the secondary? I think it's the linebackers. Bates and Glenn are a pretty awesome pair, and Bassey/Henderson have been much improved.

ETA: If Kemp counts as a linebacker, I agree the secondary is the weakest.

I think it's close, and overall we have a great defense so I'm not saying our secondary isn't much improved this year. But in my opinion we've benefited by playing some very weak throwing QB's so far like FSU and BC. We made Lamb look like an NFL QB while posting his season high in yards against us then committed a horrid 4th down pass interference that should have lost us the game. Clemson had 4 different guys catch 20+ yard passes. And of course the big FSU throw to lose the game... We're doing that while getting pretty good pressure and a lot of hurries from the D-line as well, so to me it just seems like it's our weakest spot.

To be fair, a lot of the 1-on-1 coverage is much better this year with guys getting their heads turned around and not giving up PI calls, tackling is better, we're anticipating throws better... Just seems like that group has one more big step to take to catch up to the rest of the defense.

I still want to believe that there is some stuff in the playbook that won't be shown until Louisville.

I suspect the team may play with a different level of emotion against Louisville than against any other opponent. The guys feel like the game last year was stolen from them with the stolen playbook. It would have been a very different game if halftime had been 28-0, with the four FG's turned into Touchdowns with use of the special plays that weren't used because of the leaks.

Look for the Wake D-line to try to break the recently set tackle for loss record.

Good enough to finish 9-3 or 8-4. But Wake Forest enough to finish 5-7 or 6-6.

Doesn't that go both ways though? Elko should know how to game plan our offense pretty well.

I don't see any guaranteed, no-chance losses on our schedule. Seven wins is realistic, eight is definitely doable.

I don’t think anyone will blow us out any worse than Clemson, and that was 28-14. Bottom line is that our offense must score at least 24 for us to win most of the remaining games.

Can Wolford throw yet? It's now fairly obvious he was hurt bad late in the FSU game and that cost us.

Is Carney coming back? How severe is the injury?

We need both those guys to go 7-5 or better.

Back