• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boy Scouts will admit girls

Basically, it's girls doing boy scout activities and earning the Eagle award. The only interaction I have seen was at summer camp last year. Not surprisingly, the girls had the best skit of all troops at campfire night. They were great and not morons.

YEARS ago when my daughter was elementary school age, I went door to door with her selling Sally Foster wrapping paper. You could see the aggravation in the eyes of people when we told them they needed to write us a check now.

Part of the disgust was "check now." Another part was knowing they were paying above market price for a product because it was being sold to help a school. The dealer/distributor/manufacturer was making a bunch on the sale. Also many of the school organizations doing the sales were not IRS registered as charitable organizations, so no tax deduction.

Part of the disgust was "check now." Another part was knowing they were paying above market price for a product because it was being sold to help a school. The dealer/distributor/manufacturer was making a bunch on the sale. Also many of the school organizations doing the sales were not IRS registered as charitable organizations, so no tax deduction.

Well, yeah, but the average sale was like twenty bucks. I doubt many people were too concerned about any of those things, in particular the tax deduction.

Girl scouts caught me coming out of Neighborhood Walmart this weekend. "What cookies can we put in your cart today, sir?" "I'd love some but I don't have any cash on me" "That's not a problem, just pick your favorites cookies and we'll take any card you have, Apple Pay, or Venmo"

She was probably 8 or 9. Her mom was just sitting in the back watching her work. I bought 3 boxes just to applaud her sales tactics.

Girl scouts caught me coming out of Neighborhood Walmart this weekend. "What cookies can we put in your cart today, sir?" "I'd love some but I don't have any cash on me" "That's not a problem, just pick your favorites cookies and we'll take any card you have, Apple Pay, or Venmo"

She was probably 8 or 9. Her mom was just sitting in the back watching her work. I bought 3 boxes just to applaud her sales tactics.

Dude, I love the cookies and the organziation. I made a vow to purchase a box whenever asked, but I've totally 180'd on that in the past 6 months.

I'm a Cub Scout leader, and I fucking hate popcorn. It's a god damned plague on the organization. It got me thinking - Girl Scouts must be SLAYING it with $4/box cookies. Those things can't cost more than $0.75 in materials.

Fucking wrong. Girl Scouts get to keep about $0.60/box they sell. Fuck that noise. I can't feel good about buying a box of cookies for $0.60. So now I just Venmo them $10 and save the bullshit calories. Fucking administration kills everything I love, man.

Dude, I love the cookies and the organziation. I made a vow to purchase a box whenever asked, but I've totally 180'd on that in the past 6 months.

I'm a Cub Scout leader, and I fucking hate popcorn. It's a god damned plague on the organization. It got me thinking - Girl Scouts must be SLAYING it with $4/box cookies. Those things can't cost more than $0.75 in materials.

Fucking wrong. Girl Scouts get to keep about $0.60/box they sell. Fuck that noise. I can't feel good about buying a box of cookies for $0.60. So now I just Venmo them $10 and save the bullshit calories. Fucking administration kills everything I love, man.

I’m glad you’re learning about capitalism, GTB.

Because that $10 contribution is cute and all, but it doesn't help generate shareholder value for Keebler or Interbake Foods, now does it?

Seems like someone doesn’t want to reward free enterprise that has a profitable idea.

Because that $10 contribution is cute and all, but it doesn't help generate shareholder value for Keebler or Interbake Foods, now does it?

I love capitalism. It's why I'm moving my pack away from Popcorn and into activities like spaghetti dinners and that awesome Deaconson idea about school supplies.

I love capitalism. It's why I'm moving my pack away from Popcorn and into activities like spaghetti dinners and that awesome Deaconson idea about school supplies.

glengarry-glen-ross.png

None of those things.

You'd (hopefully) learn perspective about what details matter and how you only have enough time to manage a finite number of things in a day. You'd learn that most women, just like most men, are hard workers, but that it makes a shitload of sense to have a man moving bales into the barn while the woman brushes down the horses. Can they both do either job? For sure. Does that division of labor represent an efficiency? Yes.

You're a young 20-something nuts deep in an argument on behalf of women everywhere talking about two organizations that you have no boots-on-the-ground experience with. A lot of folks have been even handed in their replies to you, but it's painfully obvious that you're deadset on pushing a narrative instead of hearing about the experiences that the folks who were actually in the organizations that you're actively arm-chair aristotling.

My farm comment was not to make you dissect the male-on-male matches that you'd get on famersonly.com (you'd be joyfully split in twain, no doubt). It was to say, "hey, dude, you're too far away up there in the ivory tower; get some experience."

I just went back a page or two and caught this bomb I dropped.

Man, Numbers, you're totally big gay.

For the record, cookies went up a buck this year to $5. The individual troop gets 10% of that. Not sure what the GS organization or the cookie makers get. Donating 10 bucks or whatever benefits the individual girls out there doing the work.

Back