• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boy Scouts will admit girls

maybe we have a child psychologist out there who can explain some value in single sex clubs/activities for developing kids;

culturally it made sense in the early -mid 20th century to have two separate scout groups. I don't see how that model fits in 21st century america

Or maybe male only clubs are something we should be moving away from as society progresses. I am sure it's fun to party and circle jerk your bro's, but in 2017 lets be inclusive of everybody.

Wait, how is having GIRL Scouts & BOY Scouts excluding anybody?

maybe we have a child psychologist out there who can explain some value in single sex clubs/activities for developing kids;

culturally it made sense in the early -mid 20th century to have two separate scout groups. I don't see how that model fits in 21st century america

Holy fuck ur ghay

For those making snarky comments of "who cares?" or "who gives a shit?", I happen to care a great deal about this.

I was a Cub Scout leader for 8 years (I have two sons) and my younger son is now a Boy Scout. In my mind, this is an incredibly ill-advised move that will strongly contribute to the demise of what is truly an incredible program for imparting character and life skills to boys and youth. It is an unabashed effort to increase membership by poaching from another demographic that is already well served by its own Scouting program, without considering the negative effect this momentous change will have on the core essence of its being. I predict that whatever membership might be gained by this total abandonment of tradition and identity will be more than offset by the loss of those who choose to leave, or not to join, Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts because it has strayed so far from its roots.

WFcatamount22: In your criticisms of fraternities and now Boy Scouts, I've noticed that you like to make dumb statements about groups and organizations to which you have never belonged and about which I suspect you know little. I think you are projecting. In any event, you come off like a dick.

Did you notice in the article where it said the dens would be separate? I don't think it's a huge deal to have dens of girls in the cub scouts program. Little kids are little kids.

Ignore catamount.

Did you notice in the article where it said the dens would be separate? I don't think it's a huge deal to have dens of girls in the cub scouts program. Little kids are little kids.

Ignore catamount.

Have you been involved in a Cub or Boy Scouts program? Separate isn't really separate.

Yeah thanks I'm familiar, I did the whole run from tiger to eagle. I feel like the way dens are structured in Cub Scout packs as more independent units makes it not a huge deal to add another den of girls who just want to participate in the Cub Scout program instead of brownies.

Note that I'm commenting solely on how it can work for Cub scouts. Boy Scouts has a different setup so I'm not sure how that will or should work but the article (which I feel like folks aren't actually reading except for the headline) said they'd be coming up with a separate program for girls which seems more reasonable than simply dumping a handful of girls into patrols of 13-14 year olds and calling it a day.

For those making snarky comments of "who cares?" or "who gives a shit?", I happen to care a great deal about this.

I was a Cub Scout leader for 8 years (I have two sons) and my younger son is now a Boy Scout. In my mind, this is an incredibly ill-advised move that will strongly contribute to the demise of what is truly an incredible program for imparting character and life skills to boys and youth. It is an unabashed effort to increase membership by poaching from another demographic that is already well served by its own Scouting program, without considering the negative effect this momentous change will have on the core essence of its being. I predict that whatever membership might be gained by this total abandonment of tradition and identity will be more than offset by the loss of those who choose to leave, or not to join, Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts because it has strayed so far from its roots.

WFcatamount22: In your criticisms of fraternities and now Boy Scouts, I've noticed that you like to make dumb statements about groups and organizations to which you have never belonged and about which I suspect you know little. I think you are projecting. In any event, you come off like a dick.

In my mind I read this with Ricky Bobby's voice. ITC is always Patrick Stewart and so on. I need new meds.

Feminazis will probably sue to have the cooking merit badge removed.

Bread on a stick. Lol.

Yeah thanks I'm familiar, I did the whole run from tiger to eagle. I feel like the way dens are structured in Cub Scout packs as more independent units makes it not a huge deal to add another den of girls who just want to participate in the Cub Scout program instead of brownies.

So couldn't the Girl Scouts do things that the Boy Scouts do now? If girls want to be involved in camping, hiking, using knives, tying knots, etc., couldn't the Girl Scouts institute those kinds of programs? Seems like the Girl Scout program stands to lose in this deal by losing participants.

So couldn't the Girl Scouts do things that the Boy Scouts do now? If girls want to be involved in camping, hiking, using knives, tying knots, etc., couldn't the Girl Scouts institute those kinds of programs? Seems like the Girl Scout program stands to lose in this deal by losing participants.

First I already said I was just talking about Cub scouts.

Second yeah sure I guess Girl Scouts could do that stuff. Some probably already do. The way Girl Scouts is organized is totally different than the Cub Scout/Boy Scout organization. They are not mirrors of each other with equivalent programs that eventually diverge into camping/knives on one side and cooking/cleaning on the other. I'd get out of my element fast in trying to explain how Girl Scouts is different, but it is and I have to get back to work.

mebanedeac cosigns

Feminazis will probably sue to have the cooking merit badge removed.

Bread on a stick. Lol.

Really rush? Tell us more about that fake news story Irma coming for florida and it was a media hoax before getting on your g5 to fly out of its way.

First I already said I was just talking about Cub scouts.

Second yeah sure I guess Girl Scouts could do that stuff. Some probably already do. The way Girl Scouts is organized is totally different than the Cub Scout/Boy Scout organization. They are not mirrors of each other with equivalent programs that eventually diverge into camping/knives on one side and cooking/cleaning on the other. I'd get out of my element fast in trying to explain how Girl Scouts is different, but it is and I have to get back to work.

Since Cub Scouts is under the umbrella of Boy Scouts, I just assumed we were talking about the organization as a whole, not the specific age group. Sorry for the confusion. Anyway, I just disagree with allowing girls into the Cub/Boy Scouts. I'd be more in favor of the GSA adding elements to their program that some girls might want to participate in that the BSA does.

What's the actual detriment to this? How are the Boy Scouts made worse by allowing girls?

I think the concern comes from adults who were in the Boy Scouts remembering what camping trips were like and trying to square that with having a female presence there. As folks have said, logistical separation of Cub Scout dens is very straight forward and is a great idea. The logistics involved in translating that to the Boy Scout experience are less straight-forward.

i mean, it's almost like some of you guys have never interacted with a female human child

Back