• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boy Scouts will admit girls

Did any of you asshats read the article?

SEPARATE programs for boys and girls, so you can still have your beloved same-sex groups doing all the things and rough-housing and whatever.
This just allows for girls to participate in the PROGRAM of boy scouts, which is definitely different from Girl Scouts.
As as Girl Scout Gold Award recipient and the sister of two Eagle Scouts, I can say for certain our programs were quite different from one-another, and had I not been in a really, really good Girl Scout troop with an incredible leader I absolutely would have been interested in doing Venture scouts (or one of the other BSA programs that allowed girls at the time). The camping and outdoors activities seemed more fun to me, the merit badges were more interesting than our interest project patches, and the overall civic mindset was more appealing to me than Girl Scouts as a whole. Allowing for girls to participate in that kind of a program - that's already established and vetted as a positive program - can only be positive.

Reading is for chicks, rough housing and dick measuring is for the boyz, duh.

Nothing like changing all male, historically white organizations to russle jimmies.

SEPARATE programs for boys and girls, so you can still have your beloved same-sex groups doing all the things and rough-housing and whatever.
This just allows for girls to participate in the PROGRAM of boy scouts, which is definitely different from Girl Scouts.
As as Girl Scout Gold Award recipient and the sister of two Eagle Scouts, I can say for certain our programs were quite different from one-another, and had I not been in a really, really good Girl Scout troop with an incredible leader I absolutely would have been interested in doing Venture scouts (or one of the other BSA programs that allowed girls at the time). The camping and outdoors activities seemed more fun to me, the merit badges were more interesting than our interest project patches, and the overall civic mindset was more appealing to me than Girl Scouts as a whole. Allowing for girls to participate in that kind of a program - that's already established and vetted as a positive program - can only be positive.

sounds like classic lbenis envy folks

Let 'em join. The BSA needs the $ and apparently the boys of gen z are a bunch of weaklings that are afraid to go outside.

sounds like classic lbenis envy folks

Well, yeah. The things the boys got to do seemed way more awesome than the glorified craft hour that was my first girl scout troop.

The values they teach are not boy-specific. The activities they do are not boy-specific. There is no good reason to exclude girls from a program that teaches and does those things.

Boom. Perfect response.

good post. but we need to make sure Boys have a chance to grow into Men, and we can't let girls interfere

Again, totally missed the point.

I'm preeetttyyy sure ITC was being facetious.

What, specifically, is detrimental about allowing girls into the Boy Scouts?

One thing I can come up with is bonding with my dad on Camping trips. The father son bonding dynamics of Boy Scouts would be completely different if sister/daughter was there too. Having said that, mostly I am fine with this move. I only have have daughters and we tried girls Scouts and it sucked. All about cookie sales and not about any useful skills. Could have just been our troop, I guess, but it was not an equivalent endeavor for girls.

...but moms and women can already be leaders, so that's a moot argument. Go camping with your dad on your own time if that is the specific bonding experience you need.

(not saying your experience was bad or unimportant- just that that's not the primary function/mission of Boy Scouts and shouldn't be used as a reason to exclude girls from the programs)

We have moms in "leadership" roles in our troop, but not Scoutmasters. They're treasurer and award keepers and such.

I'd love if some awesome girls like young l33bs joined my son's troop and showed the boys what for.

We had a women's happy hour at my office a few weeks ago. No men allowed. Perhaps I should have put up a fuss/sued.

My gf went to Meredith College for undergrad. Should they be forced to allow dudes?

Some things are just common sense and don't need to be messed with. But the snowflakes will whine and PC culture will prevail.

I suspect there are as many different experiences with Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts as there are troops for each organization.

My oldest daughter is in Girl Scouts and her troop is excellent - camping, rafting, skiing, hiking, etc. Her Gold Award project will probably involve starting a non-profit corporation from scratch that I expect will have significant and lasting community impact with a budget that could easily exceed $100k/yr. So Girls Scouts can do some cool things.

I am not doubting that some people are underwhelmed by their experience in scouts but that doesn't mean that an entire scouting organization is deficient.

The explanations along the lines of "Girl Scouts just aren't good enough" seems like a great illustration of why Girl Scouts is important as an organization - thanks, but the girls don't need the Boy Scouts to step in and fix anything for them.

Yeah because that's just the way things have always been done right?

What would the claim be in your lawsuit? I'm intrigued.

Yeah because that's just the way things have always been done right?

What would the claim be in your lawsuit? I'm intrigued.

Surely you realized I was joking, right Shirley? But I was excluded from attending a company event because I'm not a woman (and don't identify as one, key distinction) - I'm sure there's a way for a snowflake to put up a fuss and win for something like that.

Surely you realized I was joking, right Shirley? But I was excluded from attending a company event because I'm not a woman (and don't identify as one, key distinction) - I'm sure there's a way for a snowflake to put up a fuss and win for something like that.

Calls someone a snowflake....

Freaks out about girls on camping trips.

...but moms and women can already be leaders, so that's a moot argument. Go camping with your dad on your own time if that is the specific bonding experience you need.

(not saying your experience was bad or unimportant- just that that's not the primary function/mission of Boy Scouts and shouldn't be used as a reason to exclude girls from the programs)

All valid. I get that my personal experience is not the purpose of Scouts and not necessarily repeatable across individuals, however it is the one thing I can think of that having girls around would change. But also, I am all for the change. I think it will be good for scouting and will be good for any girls that join up. The current incarnation of Girl Scouts, in Alabama at least, is a lame substitute for Boy Scouts.

What the deuce does physical anything have to do with this discussion? It's scouting. Not wrestling. Pretty sure you can learn how to be a civic leader and member of your community regardless of whether you've got an innie or an outie.

The discussion got a bit off the rails. What I was countering was the idea that seemed to be put forth-- that there should be no distinction made between boys and girls. I and others had put forth the idea that guys need guy time. It's important to their development. That doesn't mean they learn how to club women over the head while hanging with their guys. It's just about development. I can't fathom how this is a controversial notion. Jesus, if you girls don't get a girls night out every now then you shit bricks. We guys will also go crazy if not afforded the same thing. Same thing that applies in adulthood applies in childhood, and it's far more important as kids.

I don't know when it became a sin to acknowledge that we are different and yes, we are and should be raised differently. Guys don't learn how to use tampons or pads or how to fight off would-be attackers, though I sure wish I had learned about taking off bras at some point. Within the context of scouting, having separate scouts for girls and boys would seem to benefit the girls as much as the boys. I'm not a girl, but I suspect it's important for girls to have time with other girls as they're growing up too, and not to be molested by their scoutmasters or fingered by their fellow scouts since scout molestation also seems to be a thing in this thread.

The civics and other things taught in BSA can be universal and unisex. I don't have a problem with that, and as I said early on, it looks like they're keeping them separated. My problem is it's the fucking boy scouts, not the girl scouts. My problem is it's a desperate move that probably won't work and will probably harm the girl scouts. My problem is that in attempting to apply the one standard to everybody (which the BSA may not be attempting to do), people ignore or poopoo certain inconvenient truths.

Back