• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

Boy Scouts will admit girls

As much as I am all for gender equality, I feel like this is too much. If a girl wants to join the scouts, she already can. And cookies are better than popcorn any day of the week. If you want to say that Girl Scouts and Boy Scouts should have more similar programs, that's a point of discussion, but this just seems dumb.

Scouts just always seem like a way to get your kid raped even if he’s not an alter boy. It’s a weird concept anyways, who cares.

Sounds like I'm building a pinewood derby car with my daughter in a few years!

From Tom Lehrer's "Be Prepared" (about Boy Scouts)

"If you're looking for adventure of a
new and different kind,
And you come across a Girl Scout who is
similarly inclined,
Don't be nervous, don't be flustered, don't be scared.
Be prepared!"

Very bad move here and don't understand it at all.
Does this mean that boys can now join the Girl Scouts?
Does this mean that boys and girls (adolescents) will go on camping trips together?
Really?????

Very bad move here and don't understand it at all.
Does this mean that boys can now join the Girl Scouts?
Does this mean that boys and girls (adolescents) will go on camping trips together?
Really?????

Mother will certainly have something to say about this!

1362599_02bcdea730.jpg

Boy Scout enrollment and retention has been declining for while now. I think things started to go really bad when they came out so strong against gay members. Lots of former scouts renounced them and didn’t enroll their own kids. This is probably a desperate ploy to appear more progressive and double their applicant pool. Also, I tried Girl Scouts with my daughters and it was terrible. It was a money making scheme through free labor and cookie sales.

I somewhat understand this since the Girl Scouts don't do as much cool shit, but the solution is to give Girl Scouts cooler shit to do and make them more like the BSA, not to make BSA the Hermaphrodite Scouts Of America. Agree that this a ploy to increase enrollment, but at least they'll be keeping them separated from what I hear.

My wife was den mother for a few years before we were hitched. Really worked hard to keep it going in the neighborhood, which is solidly middle and upper middle class. It died anyway about a year after she stepped away. I don't think it has to do with its stance on gays at all. I think it has to do with kids not having an interest in scouting. They'd rather be content with their video games than camping trips.

Indian Princess is the way to go.

Can't wait to see Scoutmasters staying up all night on camping trips with coed Scouts during their early teens. Sounds like a lot of fun.

And the Cubs are poaching from the girls which is not good.

For those making snarky comments of "who cares?" or "who gives a shit?", I happen to care a great deal about this.

I was a Cub Scout leader for 8 years (I have two sons) and my younger son is now a Boy Scout. In my mind, this is an incredibly ill-advised move that will strongly contribute to the demise of what is truly an incredible program for imparting character and life skills to boys and youth. It is an unabashed effort to increase membership by poaching from another demographic that is already well served by its own Scouting program, without considering the negative effect this momentous change will have on the core essence of its being. I predict that whatever membership might be gained by this total abandonment of tradition and identity will be more than offset by the loss of those who choose to leave, or not to join, Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts because it has strayed so far from its roots.

WFcatamount22: In your criticisms of fraternities and now Boy Scouts, I've noticed that you like to make dumb statements about groups and organizations to which you have never belonged and about which I suspect you know little. I think you are projecting. In any event, you come off like a dick.

what are some of the negative effects on the core essence

Last edited:
For those making snarky comments of "who cares?" or "who gives a shit?", I happen to care a great deal about this.

I was a Cub Scout leader for 8 years (I have two sons) and my younger son is now a Boy Scout. In my mind, this is an incredibly ill-advised move that will strongly contribute to the demise of what is truly an incredible program for imparting character and life skills to boys and youth. It is an unabashed effort to increase membership by poaching from another demographic that is already well served by its own Scouting program, without considering the negative effect this momentous change will have on the core essence of its being. I predict that whatever membership might be gained by this total abandonment of tradition and identity will be more than offset by the loss of those who choose to leave, or not to join, Cub Scouts or Boy Scouts because it has strayed so far from its roots.

WFcatamount22: In your criticisms of fraternities and now Boy Scouts, I've noticed that you like to make dumb statements about groups and organizations to which you have never belonged and about which I suspect you know little. I think you are projecting. In any event, you come off like a dick.

In latest news, the sky is blue and the tar heels cheat at sports.

Or maybe male only clubs are something we should be moving away from as society progresses. I am sure it's fun to party and circle jerk your bro's, but in 2017 lets be inclusive of everybody.

Back