• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

How often do you think you've been exposed to psy-ops?

i mean, content is curated on BBC, CNN, FoxNews, ESPN and literally every other media source. there's no such thing as an un-curated information source. sources by their very definition are curated for audience

The degree to which something is curated is relevant. Look at 4chan's model of delivery - 10 years ago that was essentially uncurated. Even today, it remains less curated than many other spots.

My OP is to the point - we're getting curated - highly manicured - content from places that even an above-average intelligence user is being impacted by narrative twisting the way they think.

Shit, I don't go to reddit or chans or any of that, not on Facebook or Twitter or Instagram or any of that either. I go to mainstream news feeds, mainstream sports content, YouTube rock videos and interviews and truck videos with my son, and this here board. Some titties here and there when needed, mainly tattood chicks.

damn, Im an old.

ok, carry on.

Ditto. BBC, NPR, NYT, The Atlantic, ESPN, OGB, some music on YouTube...that's 99 percent of my Internet time. Stream music mostly from Pandora (which I love).

No Facebook, Instagram, Snap Chat, whatever. Yep, I'm old too.

All points have been pretty much touched up already. Click bait and confirmation bias all drives the news cycle. I don't think that's psy-ops. I think that's just propaganda or bullshit or what some would call fake news. We aren't above being touched by it all because we went to Wake freaking Forest. All the BS feeds into preordained narratives. Some people are cutting the cord to their TVs. I sometimes wish we'd all cut the cord to the internet, but we're hooked at this point like a crackwhore to a dick.

I thought crackwhores were addicted to the crack and the dick was just a means to an end. So they like the dick?

I'm such an old.

All points have been pretty much touched up already. Click bait and confirmation bias all drives the news cycle. I don't think that's psy-ops. I think that's just propaganda or bullshit or what some would call fake news. We aren't above being touched by it all because we went to Wake freaking Forest. All the BS feeds into preordained narratives. Some people are cutting the cord to their TVs. I sometimes wish we'd all cut the cord to the internet, but we're hooked at this point like a crackwhore to a dick.

disinformation has been used as a tactic since humans started punching each other

Take note of when this article was written...

Documents Show How Russia’s Troll Army Hit America

The adventures of Russian agents like The Ghost of Marius the Giraffe, Gay Turtle, and Ass — exposed for the first time.

June 2, 2014, at 1:48 p.m.

Russia's campaign to shape international opinion around its invasion of Ukraine has extended to recruiting and training a new cadre of online trolls that have been deployed to spread the Kremlin's message on the comments section of top American websites.

Plans attached to emails leaked by a mysterious Russian hacker collective show IT managers reporting on a new ideological front against the West in the comments sections of Fox News, Huffington Post, The Blaze, Politico, and WorldNetDaily.

The bizarre hive of social media activity appears to be part of a two-pronged Kremlin campaign to claim control over the internet, launching a million-dollar army of trolls to mold American public opinion as it cracks down on internet freedom at home.

"Foreign media are currently actively forming a negative image of the Russian Federation in the eyes of the global community," one of the project's team members, Svetlana Boiko, wrote in a strategy document. "Additionally, the discussions formed by comments to those articles are also negative in tone.

"Like any brand formed by popular opinion, Russia has its supporters ('brand advocates') and its opponents. The main problem is that in the foreign internet community, the ratio of supporters and opponents of Russia is about 20/80 respectively."

The documents show instructions provided to the commenters that detail the workload expected of them. On an average working day, the Russians are to post on news articles 50 times. Each blogger is to maintain six Facebook accounts publishing at least three posts a day and discussing the news in groups at least twice a day. By the end of the first month, they are expected to have won 500 subscribers and get at least five posts on each item a day. On Twitter, the bloggers are expected to manage 10 accounts with up to 2,000 followers and tweet 50 times a day.

They are to post messages along themes called "American Dream" and "I Love Russia." The archetypes for the accounts are called Handkerchief, Gay Turtle, The Ghost of Marius the Giraffe, Left Breast, Black Breast, and Ass, for reasons that are not immediately clear.

According to the documents, which are attached to several hundred emails sent to the project's leader, Igor Osadchy, the effort was launched in April and is led by a firm called the Internet Research Agency. It's based in a Saint Petersburg suburb, and the documents say it employs hundreds of people across Russia who promote Putin in comments on Russian blogs...

https://www.buzzfeed.com/maxseddon/...my-hit-america?utm_term=.vc4ZNy10G#.ph8p34En1

Last edited:
Here's another one from 2012.

Polishing Putin: hacked emails suggest dirty tricks by Russian youth group

Miriam Elder in Moscow Tuesday 7 February 2012 12.14 EST
Vladimir Putin
A pro-Kremlin group runs a network of internet trolls, seeks to buy flattering coverage of Vladimir Putin and hatches plans to discredit opposition activists and media, according to private emails allegedly hacked by a group calling itself the Russian arm of Anonymous.

The group has uploaded hundreds of emails it says are to, from and between Vasily Yakemenko, the first leader of the youth group Nashi – now head of the Kremlin's Federal Youth Agency – its spokeswoman, Kristina Potupchik, and other activists. The emails detail payments to journalists and bloggers, the group alleges.

https://amp.theguardian.com/world/2012/feb/07/putin-hacked-emails-russian-nashi

Shame on Americans for being clueless sheep. I'm speaking to you, uneducated white voters in MI, WI, PA glued to your stupid social media

palma, how many times have you been exposed?

How many times have you exposed yourself?

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/76x7it/russian_troll_factory_spent_23_million/
The article is in Russian, so here are the main points:
90 people working in the designated "U.S. dept" of the factory,
They ran 118 accounts/communities in Facebook/Instagram/Twitter (Facebook has blocked all of these communities with total 6 mln subscribers in August-September 2017),
Using sim-cards, proxy servers, other IP tools to mask their traces,
their ad budget was around $5k a month ($120 for two years, consistent with FB's Alex Stamos' statement),
they were in touch with 100 U.S. activists, who didn't know they were approached by the Russians,
40 offline events organised by "the Factory".
The source is a former employee who has proven his credentials to semi-independent Russian media outlets, and has shown them the screenshots of the system itself.

So weve learned that whether the medium is talk radio or social media, rural whites are gullible marks

https://www.reddit.com/r/worldnews/comments/76x7it/russian_troll_factory_spent_23_million/
The article is in Russian, so here are the main points:
90 people working in the designated "U.S. dept" of the factory,
They ran 118 accounts/communities in Facebook/Instagram/Twitter (Facebook has blocked all of these communities with total 6 mln subscribers in August-September 2017),
Using sim-cards, proxy servers, other IP tools to mask their traces,
their ad budget was around $5k a month ($120 for two years, consistent with FB's Alex Stamos' statement),
they were in touch with 100 U.S. activists, who didn't know they were approached by the Russians,
40 offline events organised by "the Factory".
The source is a former employee who has proven his credentials to semi-independent Russian media outlets, and has shown them the screenshots of the system itself.

This account live tweets WW2 as it happened on this day in 1939 and for 6 years after. A good account to follow for those on the twitter machine.

Thirty countries use 'armies of opinion shapers' to manipulate democracy – report

“Manipulation and disinformation tactics played an important role in elections in at least 17 other countries over the past year, damaging citizens’ ability to choose their leaders based on factual news and authentic debate,” the US government-funded charity said. “Although some governments sought to support their interests and expand their influence abroad, as with Russia’s disinformation campaigns in the United States and Europe, in most cases they used these methods inside their own borders to maintain their hold on power.”

https://amp.theguardian.com/technol...pinion-shapers-manipulate-democracy-fake-news

Last edited:
https://www.reddit.com/r/videos/com...utm_medium=hot&utm_source=reddit&utm_name=all

Former Facebook exec: "I think we have created tools that are ripping apart the social fabric of how society works. The short-term, dopamine-driven feedback loops we’ve created are destroying how society works. No civil discourse, no cooperation; misinformation, mistruth. You are being programmed"

Just another needle in the giant stack of needles

That's not a conspiracy theory, it's just how technology and the internet in particular create synthetic experiences at the expense of "real" experiences in terms of physical and human interaction.

Back