Page 10 of 80 FirstFirst ... 567891011121314152060 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 200 of 1585

Thread: The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

  1. #181
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    If the GOP does manage to pack the Supreme Court to the point that Roe v. Wade is overturned, one wonders what the Religious Right would do for major issue. I don't think anything else will gin up their base as the "pro-life" movement has. I also think that overturning Roe v. Wade would be a huge mistake for the GOP, as it would cause a massive and lasting backlash from urban and suburban America, including many younger GOP women.
    Anti-Islam would be the next issue.

    At the bottom of it all in my opinion is more wealth accumulation by the leaders of the religious right though. The rubes are just the labor force they are fucking over to get that money. Just a more sanctimonious owner class. Scumbags like Falwell and Graham.

  2. #182
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Anti-Islam would be the next issue.

    At the bottom of it all in my opinion is more wealth accumulation by the leaders of the religious right though. The rubes are just the labor force they are fucking over to get that money. Just a more sanctimonious owner class. Scumbags like Falwell and Graham.
    No doubt if abortion rights were repealed they'd try to move to something else for their base to hate, but in my lifetime I've never seen any issue (with the possible exception of gay and transgender rights, especially gay marriage) be so effective at riling up fundie Christians to vote Republican. Anti-Islam just wouldn't have the same power, I think. My guess is that they'd try to turn to gay rights/marriage as their next "crusade". Abortion has really been their most effective issue, imo, and I agree that the GOP Establishment and even the leaders of the Religious Right - guys like Falwell and Graham - don't really give a shit about it, except as something to rally their followers around.

  3. #183
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    No doubt if abortion rights were repealed they'd try to move to something else for their base to hate, but in my lifetime I've never seen any issue (with the possible exception of gay and transgender rights, especially gay marriage) be so effective at riling up fundie Christians to vote Republican. Anti-Islam just wouldn't have the same power, I think. My guess is that they'd try to turn to gay rights/marriage as their next "crusade". Abortion has really been their most effective issue, imo, and I agree that the GOP Establishment and even the leaders of the Religious Right - guys like Falwell and Graham - don't really give a shit about it, except as something to rally their followers around.
    Thereís no life loss with gay rights. Thatís a big factor. Islam can be spun as a life issue. They lost on gay rights already. They will lose on transgender rights soon. I really doubt young folks will change their minds.

    One thing is for sure, they wonít rally around helping poor folks as a matter of policy. We can all agree on that. Which is disgusting.

  4. #184
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    Thereís no life loss with gay rights. Thatís a big factor. Islam can be spun as a life issue. They lost on gay rights already. They will lose on transgender rights soon. I really doubt young folks will change their minds.

    One thing is for sure, they wonít rally around helping poor folks as a matter of policy. We can all agree on that. Which is disgusting.
    Agreed on both counts - they don't care about the poor (as Jesus did), and they're disgusting hypocrites.

  5. #185
    Quote Originally Posted by Deacfreak07 View Post
    One thing is for sure, they wonít rally around helping poor folks as a matter of policy. We can all agree on that. Which is disgusting.
    Because that's the church's job, not the government's. Which they'll get around to as soon as they're done paying off their 15 million dollar building (that's on tax free property) and installing the slide and ball pit for their kids. But until then, we can do a canned food drive and buy some toys at Christmas. That's the same, right?

  6. #186
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by IamThunderbolt View Post
    Because that's the church's job, not the government's. Which they'll get around to as soon as they're done paying off their 15 million dollar building (that's on tax free property) and installing the slide and ball pit for their kids. But until then, we can do a canned food drive and buy some toys at Christmas. That's the same, right?
    It is for their consciences I guess.

  7. #187
    Quote Originally Posted by riscdeac View Post
    Trumps an idiot. However heís not that much of an idiot. He wonít appoint TWO more ultra conservatives if and when. My guess is he would focus on a woman - a moderate.
    The pivot cometh.

  8. #188
    "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespassed against us." - Jesus


    Last edited by Newenglanddeac; 04-01-2018 at 02:16 PM.

  9. #189
    Forgive him father, because he knows not what he does.

  10. #190
    Abortion is the biggest made up issue of all time. The religious right nor the average American really donít give a fuck about it for the sake of saving lives or whatever, they care about it for the wedge issue that it is. They do not care about life at all, and in fact support more life-ending policies on balance than the left does with its pro choice position. Itís the biggest of all the rightie cons.

  11. #191
    Quote Originally Posted by riscdeac View Post
    Roe v Wade will NEVER be overturned. NEVER.
    Great take considering it partially has been overturned.

  12. #192
    Quote Originally Posted by wakelaw13 View Post
    Great take considering it partially has been overturned.
    I'm surprised at the complacency even some liberals show about the danger of a Trump-packed Supreme Court and federal judiciary overturning decades of socially progressive rulings and laws. I've heard and read liberals say stuff to the effect that "they'll never overturn Roe, or gay marriage, or basic civil rights laws." The problem is that the Religious Right is now a major, if not the dominant, part of Trump's base, and their goal is to turn back the clock on all social and cultural liberalism. If Trump gets a second term, which is certainly plausible, then he could easily add another 2 -3 SC justices and many more federal judges at lower levels, and many things liberals take for granted may suddenly not be so secure. The only thing holding them back now is the fear of many Republicans that it would be political suicide to overturn many of these laws and rulings, but if Trumpites keep winning elections (especially Trump himself), that fear will subside.

  13. #193
    THE quintessential dwarf dartsndeacs's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Location
    paradise
    Posts
    46,180
    Quote Originally Posted by Newenglanddeac View Post
    "Forgive us our trespasses, as we forgive those who trespassed against us." - Jesus


    You can tell when there's been a few days of no real news coverage that Trump gets antsy and either fires someone or lashes out somewhere. Anytime I think to myself "been a slow couple days" something happens 12 hours later.
    just drivin' round in John Voight's car

  14. #194
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    I'm surprised at the complacency even some liberals show about the danger of a Trump-packed Supreme Court and federal judiciary overturning decades of socially progressive rulings and laws. I've heard and read liberals say stuff to the effect that "they'll never overturn Roe, or gay marriage, or basic civil rights laws." The problem is that the Religious Right is now a major, if not the dominant, part of Trump's base, and their goal is to turn back the clock on all social and cultural liberalism. If Trump gets a second term, which is certainly plausible, then he could easily add another 2 -3 SC justices and many more federal judges at lower levels, and many things liberals take for granted may suddenly not be so secure. The only thing holding them back now is the fear of many Republicans that it would be political suicide to overturn many of these laws and rulings, but if Trumpites keep winning elections (especially Trump himself), that fear will subside.
    Yeah but there is not a goddamn thing we can do about it. You canít coach stupid. The tribes are set, gotta wait out death at this point

  15. #195
    Outrage fatigue

  16. #196
    Quote Originally Posted by WFFaithful View Post
    Outrage fatigue
    No kidding. The Left is the sorest bunch of fucking losers ever witnessed

  17. #197
    Never Murdered My FIL
    Deacfreak07's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Location
    'Murica
    Posts
    65,763
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectro View Post
    No kidding. The Left is the sorest bunch of fucking losers ever witnessed
    What a cutie.

  18. #198
    Quote Originally Posted by Lectro View Post
    No kidding. The Left is the sorest bunch of fucking losers ever witnessed
    How many boycotts are you hate-filled, bible-thumping, bullshit artist rubes up to now. Hypocrite mongrel with your black heart and vacant brain...I pity your political point of view and unwillingness to seek out any semblance of truth. Your myopic view is regretful and played.

    Go back to football, which I really like your posts.

  19. #199
    So this was a thing this weekend.


  20. #200
    Quote Originally Posted by bym051d View Post
    So this was a thing this weekend.

    How rood

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •