• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I have a feeling these people also have a much higher propensity for falling for "I'm a Nigerian prince and need help moving twenty five million dollars..." type of scams.

I have a feeling these people also have a much higher propensity for falling for "I'm a Nigerian prince and need help moving twenty five million dollars..." type of scams.

It's OK, you can just say they're dumb

I guess it's true: church really is all about the collection plate.

Also note that his favorability among everyone is nearly at an all time high.

Last edited:
I think "conservative" Christians, taken to generally mean folks that take the bible "literally" or as "inerrant" (or something similar) are set up to embrace falsehoods in the face of contradicting facts. They just are not only accustomed to such a thing but have learned to embrace the "countercultural" aspect of it. An example would be "young-earth" geology.

Key verse: "But God chose the foolish things of the world to shame the wise".

This and similar verses set up these folks to not just believe incredible things but to happily and boldly embrace them against facts/evidence (which, of course, is contorted as false to them). It becomes a mark of not just "faith" but "faithfulness".

As I've thought about it, I think this aspect of the dynamic accounts for a good bit of the evangelical support for Trump. Actual facts/evidence just don't matter. The embraced narrative (mythology) is the important thing. And boy have they been sold a "bill of goods" by the Republican party. The amazing thing is that the prevailing mythology in this subculture has led to a social ethics that is largely unbiblical, IMO.

Christians that understand their scriptures less "literally", who are more willing to adjust their understanding of the bible and universe according to evidence as it unfolds over time are, I think, less gullible generally and less inclined to embrace notions that are plainly contrary to facts and evidence. Naturally.

Poll: Evangelical Support For Trump Would Stay Same If He Were Discovered To Be Antichrist

April 20, 2018

U.S.—The results of an extensive Gallup poll were released Friday afternoon confirming that if President Donald Trump were discovered to be the Antichrist described in the Bible, his support among American evangelicals would not be negatively affected.

The study even indicated that evangelical support for Trump would go up in certain states if he were outed as the beast from the sea, empowered by the dragon to utter blasphemies against God and conquer the saints.

“Our research indicates that if he were discovered to the Antichrist, the lawless one from the Book of Revelation, President Trump’s support among American evangelicals would not be affected in the least,” a Gallup spokesman said. “Many said they would ‘double down,’ in that case, confident that their president would be ‘playing 4D chess’ with his enemies.”

“King David had issues too,” many also responded, according to the report.

http://babylonbee.com/news/poll-eva...-same-if-he-were-discovered-to-be-antichrist/

31311333_10214777579087613_6726026949992382464_n.jpg

This is a good example of why the church is dying.

Yeah. Their loyalty to Trump, and the GOP in general, may have won them some political victories, but in the long run there's no doubt that it's causing the church real damage. Attendance has been declining for years now, even in most Evangelical groups, such as the Southern Baptists. Even in rural areas like my hometown many churches are reporting declining numbers, as young people just aren't going to church in large numbers anymore. I don't think there's any doubt that a good part of that is because many evangelical churches have tied themselves hand and foot to the GOP (and now to Trump), as well as frequent scandals in many denominations. Here's a report from last year on the Southern Baptist membership decline: https://baptistnews.com/article/southern-baptists-lost-million-members-10-years/#.Wuc3kdTwaM8

I think a large part of why religiosity is declining is the widespread access to information for young people. Americans under 30 were raised with internet access at heir fingertips from childhood. That ease of access to whatever you want to know has exponentially increased in the 21st century and kids born between 2000-2005, roughly encompassing high school aged kids, grew up knowing that the answer to any question they had was one quick Google search away. Churches have long gained members through parents passing it on to children. There isn't some untapped part of the population that are undecided that the church can go grab. And because their teachings are so easily fact-checked now by the most technologically savvy generation in human history, it has become incredibly difficult for them to keep younger members. Add in the fact that, especially in the uber-conservative South, the church has largely aligned themselves with social policies that are incredibly unpopular with today's youth, and it's easy to see why Christianity and religion as a whole are doing poorly with youth.

Back