• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

power leads to corruption. Politics, church, business...whatever. Capitalism breeds evil, as described in the Bible. Capitalism is the anti-bible...tbh.

The one time Jesus got pissed was when he saw people buying and selling in the temple.

"And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

He got along with the tax collectors and prostitutes, but not the thieves in the temple.

Need townie for an irony check, but the bible was a hell of a capitalistic enterprise. And I'm no historician of economic movements, but 'ol Eisenstein probably puts the bible right at the heart of the development of modern capitalism.

Need townie for an irony check, but the bible was a hell of a capitalistic enterprise. And I'm no historician of economic movements, but 'ol Eisenstein probably puts the bible right at the heart of the development of modern capitalism.

What aspect of the Bible? Printing it and selling it all over the world?

The one time Jesus got pissed was when he saw people buying and selling in the temple.

That’s the only time Jesus got mad because he left before he could meet Lectro.

huh?

This guy seems to spend the name and credibility his dad built in the way a rube lottery winner blows through their cash.

This guy seems to spend the name and credibility his dad built in the way a rube lottery winner blows through their cash.

He was born on third base and he's getting caught in a pickle trying to get to home.

If there was ever any doubt that the conservative evangelical movement is rife with hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty, then this seals the deal. The Christian Right has lot all credibility especially as it pertains to politics. And I say this as a fairly religious person.

Give who his children grew up to be, I can't imagine that the real Billy Graham matched his public persona.

If there was ever any doubt that the conservative evangelical movement is rife with hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty, then this seals the deal. The Christian Right has lot all credibility especially as it pertains to politics. And I say this as a fairly religious person.

Right. And when this results in lower church attendance and their loss of moral authority, they’ll blame the “secular left” and their other boogie men.

From the 40s to the 70s, Billy Graham loved being seen as the "spiritual advisor to presidents". Truman despised him, and in 1960 he made some vaguely anti-Catholic statements in his support of Nixon over Kennedy. And, of course, he adored Nixon, and apparently never really held him accountable for Watergate. However, at least Billy did mellow considerably in his later years, and did see the dangers in tying Evangelical Christianity to the GOP. His son, imo, is a religious and political charlatan of the highest order. I do think that people like Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., and others are causing serious damage to the church in this country in the long run. Not all Christians are Evangelicals or Fundamentalists, but increasingly that's all that most people see, and it's killing them with younger generations.

Last edited:
From the 40s to the 70s, Billy Graham loved being seen as the "spiritual advisor to presidents". Truman despised him, and in 1960 he made some vaguely anti-Catholic statements in his support of Nixon over Kennedy. And, of course, he adored Nixon, and apparently never really held him accountable for Watergate. However, at least Billy did mellow considerably in his later years, and did see the dangers in tying Evangelical Christianity to the GOP. His son, imo, is a religious and political charlatan of the highest order. I do think that people like Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., and others are causing serious damage to the church in this country in the long run. Not all Christians are Evangelicals or Fundamentalists, but increasingly that's all that most people see, and it's killing them with younger generations.

doesn’t matter, got paid

fwiw, this phenomenon is not necessarily limited to Christianity

corrupt and morally bankrupt fundamentalists are ruining organized religion for everyone these days

Back