Page 12 of 80 FirstFirst ... 278910111213141516172262 ... LastLast
Results 221 to 240 of 1585

Thread: The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

  1. #221
    power leads to corruption. Politics, church, business...whatever. Capitalism breeds evil, as described in the Bible. Capitalism is the anti-bible...tbh.

  2. #222
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,297
    The one time Jesus got pissed was when he saw people buying and selling in the temple.

    "And Jesus went into the temple of God, and cast out all them that sold and bought in the temple, and overthrew the tables of the moneychangers, and the seats of them that sold doves, And said unto them, It is written, My house shall be called the house of prayer; but ye have made it a den of thieves."

    He got along with the tax collectors and prostitutes, but not the thieves in the temple.

  3. #223

    The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

    Need townie for an irony check, but the bible was a hell of a capitalistic enterprise. And I'm no historician of economic movements, but 'ol Eisenstein probably puts the bible right at the heart of the development of modern capitalism.

  4. #224
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,297
    Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    Need townie for an irony check, but the bible was a hell of a capitalistic enterprise. And I'm no historician of economic movements, but 'ol Eisenstein probably puts the bible right at the heart of the development of modern capitalism.
    What aspect of the Bible? Printing it and selling it all over the world?

  5. #225
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    The one time Jesus got pissed was when he saw people buying and selling in the temple.
    That’s the only time Jesus got mad because he left before he could meet Lectro.

  6. #226
    Quote Originally Posted by PhDeac View Post
    What aspect of the Bible? Printing it and selling it all over the world?
    coming up with it in the first place

  7. #227
    I disagree with you
    ImTheCaptain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Pennsylvania
    Posts
    46,053
    Quote Originally Posted by wakephan09 View Post
    Need townie for an irony check, but the bible was a hell of a capitalistic enterprise. And I'm no historician of economic movements, but 'ol Eisenstein probably puts the bible right at the heart of the development of modern capitalism.
    huh?

  8. #228

  9. #229

  10. #230
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post

  11. #231
    This guy seems to spend the name and credibility his dad built in the way a rube lottery winner blows through their cash.

  12. #232

  13. #233
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,297
    Quote Originally Posted by 06deacon View Post
    This guy seems to spend the name and credibility his dad built in the way a rube lottery winner blows through their cash.
    He was born on third base and he's getting caught in a pickle trying to get to home.

  14. #234

  15. #235
    Quote Originally Posted by WakeForestRanger View Post
    If there was ever any doubt that the conservative evangelical movement is rife with hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty, then this seals the deal. The Christian Right has lot all credibility especially as it pertains to politics. And I say this as a fairly religious person.

  16. #236
    Give who his children grew up to be, I can't imagine that the real Billy Graham matched his public persona.

  17. #237
    PM a mod to cement your internet status forever
    PhDeac's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Posts
    120,297
    Quote Originally Posted by Newenglanddeac View Post
    If there was ever any doubt that the conservative evangelical movement is rife with hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty, then this seals the deal. The Christian Right has lot all credibility especially as it pertains to politics. And I say this as a fairly religious person.
    Right. And when this results in lower church attendance and their loss of moral authority, they’ll blame the “secular left” and their other boogie men.

  18. #238
    Quote Originally Posted by Newenglanddeac View Post
    If there was ever any doubt that the conservative evangelical movement is rife with hypocrisy and intellectual dishonesty, then this seals the deal. The Christian Right has lot all credibility especially as it pertains to politics. And I say this as a fairly religious person.
    From the 40s to the 70s, Billy Graham loved being seen as the "spiritual advisor to presidents". Truman despised him, and in 1960 he made some vaguely anti-Catholic statements in his support of Nixon over Kennedy. And, of course, he adored Nixon, and apparently never really held him accountable for Watergate. However, at least Billy did mellow considerably in his later years, and did see the dangers in tying Evangelical Christianity to the GOP. His son, imo, is a religious and political charlatan of the highest order. I do think that people like Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., and others are causing serious damage to the church in this country in the long run. Not all Christians are Evangelicals or Fundamentalists, but increasingly that's all that most people see, and it's killing them with younger generations.
    Last edited by Highland Deac; 05-06-2018 at 07:22 PM.

  19. #239
    Quote Originally Posted by Highland Deac View Post
    From the 40s to the 70s, Billy Graham loved being seen as the "spiritual advisor to presidents". Truman despised him, and in 1960 he made some vaguely anti-Catholic statements in his support of Nixon over Kennedy. And, of course, he adored Nixon, and apparently never really held him accountable for Watergate. However, at least Billy did mellow considerably in his later years, and did see the dangers in tying Evangelical Christianity to the GOP. His son, imo, is a religious and political charlatan of the highest order. I do think that people like Franklin Graham, Jerry Falwell, Jr., and others are causing serious damage to the church in this country in the long run. Not all Christians are Evangelicals or Fundamentalists, but increasingly that's all that most people see, and it's killing them with younger generations.
    doesn’t matter, got paid

    fwiw, this phenomenon is not necessarily limited to Christianity

    corrupt and morally bankrupt fundamentalists are ruining organized religion for everyone these days
    We're going to be good again.

  20. #240
    Fucking pussies.


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •