• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

The subset of conservative white evangelicals that are Christian seems to be shrinking in an accelerating fashion.

The subset of conservative white evangelicals that are Christian seems to be shrinking in an accelerating fashion.

Yep. The real Christians I grew up with would bend over backwards to help others no matter where they came from or what they looked like.

That's a foreign concept to modern evangelicals.

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” - Jesus

Yep. The real Christians I grew up with would bend over backwards to help others no matter where they came from or what they looked like.

That's a foreign concept to modern evangelicals.

“For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison and you came to visit me.” - Jesus

Then he will say to those at his left hand, ‘You that are accursed, depart from me into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels; for I was hungry and you gave me no food, I was thirsty and you gave me nothing to drink, I was a stranger and you did not welcome me, naked and you did not give me clothing, sick and in prison and you did not visit me.’ Then they also will answer, ‘Lord, when was it that we saw you hungry or thirsty or a stranger or naked or sick or in prison, and did not take care of you?’ Then he will answer them, ‘Truly I tell you, just as you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to me.’ And these will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Don’t forget the rest of that passage where Jesus tells them all to go to hell. Though I’m sure the rubes will see first sentence, and say “he said on his LEFT ! Libtards gonna burn !”

Letter of the law vs spirit of the law. Good luck arguing that case at the pearly gates rubes!

Fighting for equality is antithetical to fighting for supremacy. They got that correct.

Apparently, the good reverend has never heard of the Social Gospel, which was practiced by a great many Protestant Christians around the turn of the 20th Century. Among its adherents were people like Theodore Roosevelt and Jane Addams. Ironically, he sounds much more like a devotee of Social Darwinism, as does Franklin Graham, who on a recent campaign swing through California also equated progressive politics with godless Marxism. These guys might as well join the Prosperity Gospel movement, because they clearly believe that wealth is a sign of godliness, and poverty is a sign that God has turned His back on you, and therefore you were meant to suffer. I strongly suspect that many Evangelicals privately believe this crap, the teachings and sermons of Jesus notwithstanding.

ETA: I just read at the bottom of the article that Richard Land, a rather notorious figure in Southern Baptist history, did say that the "idea of a social gospel was hatched in hell...There is only one gospel...a whole gospel for whole people that brings society under the sway of Jesus’ principles and righteousness.” Actually, the idea of the Social Gospel was "hatched" in the teachings and sermons of Jesus. Has Richard ever read the Sermon on the Mount? Somehow, Jesus' principles don't include helping the poor, the needy, and yes, the victims of our society. There's only the need to be "righteous", which is what fundamentalists are really all about.

Last edited:
What do these people preach every Sunday? They don’t seem to follow the words and actions of Jesus Christ.

Oh, a variety of things.

All, supposedly, “biblical”.

Because, you see, they “believe” the Bible—as opposed to “world” and them librul so-called Christians that “compromise” “biblical” truth with non-biblical sources of truth and authority.

Of course they can’t agree on what is truly “biblical”—or how to (necessarily) interpret the scriptures.

But the diversely and often miserably-grasped notion of being “bible believing” is enough to feel some common cause vs the secularist, etc.

Oh, a variety of things.

All, supposedly, “biblical”.

Because, you see, they “believe” the Bible—as opposed to “world” and them librul so-called Christians that “compromise” “biblical” truth with non-biblical sources of truth and authority.

Of course they can’t agree on what is truly “biblical”—or how to (necessarily) interpret the scriptures.

But the diversely and often miserably-grasped notion of being “bible believing” is enough to feel some common cause vs the secularist, etc.

Great post. This allowance for individual interpretarion of scripture is what has led to the prosperity, self-help, anti-gospel sermons that fill evangelical churches.

Great post. This allowance for individual interpretarion of scripture is what has led to the prosperity, self-help, anti-gospel sermons that fill evangelical churches.

It’s also allowed for social justice theology to emerge where the state controls the church’s interpretation of scripture.

?

Pretty sure concerns about social justice (including theological ones) predate Christianity.

Anyhow, the problem as I see it isn’t so much individual theological or scriptural interpretations (always a fact of life) as much as an egendered “us vs them” mentality. A mindset that is nurtured far more eagerly in conservative Christian (and otherwise) circles.

Liberty University Cinema Dept. Producing Feature Film 'The Trump Prophecy'
https://www.christianpost.com/news/...-trump-prophecy-224312/#.WwvlbXFt6os.facebook

the-trump-prophecy.jpg

The film focuses on the prophecy of a retired Florida firefighter named Mark Taylor, who claims that God told him in April 2011 that Trump would one day become president. Although Taylor initially thought that meant that Trump would become president in 2012, the prophecy was ultimately fulfilled in November 2016.

Taylor's prophetic claim was described in his 2017 book, The Trump Prophecies: The Astonishing True Story of the Man Who Saw Tomorrow... and What He Says Is Coming Next.

--------------

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that also in April 2011, Trump went on the Today Show and gave a big interview about possibly running for president and claimed he had people in Hawaii investigating Obama's birth certificate.
https://archives.nbclearn.com/portal/site/k-12/flatview?cuecard=52817

Apparently, the good reverend has never heard of the Social Gospel, which was practiced by a great many Protestant Christians around the turn of the 20th Century. Among its adherents were people like Theodore Roosevelt and Jane Addams. Ironically, he sounds much more like a devotee of Social Darwinism, as does Franklin Graham, who on a recent campaign swing through California also equated progressive politics with godless Marxism. These guys might as well join the Prosperity Gospel movement, because they clearly believe that wealth is a sign of godliness, and poverty is a sign that God has turned His back on you, and therefore you were meant to suffer. I strongly suspect that many Evangelicals privately believe this crap, the teachings and sermons of Jesus notwithstanding.

ETA: I just read at the bottom of the article that Richard Land, a rather notorious figure in Southern Baptist history, did say that the "idea of a social gospel was hatched in hell...There is only one gospel...a whole gospel for whole people that brings society under the sway of Jesus’ principles and righteousness.” Actually, the idea of the Social Gospel was "hatched" in the teachings and sermons of Jesus. Has Richard ever read the Sermon on the Mount? Somehow, Jesus' principles don't include helping the poor, the needy, and yes, the victims of our society. There's only the need to be "righteous", which is what fundamentalists are really all about.

Jesus was born in a feed trough. His parents paid the smallest possible offering at the temple, because they were the poorest of the poor. He spent his adult life homeless. He never knew where his next meal was coming from. He hung out with the dregs of society. He rode a borrowed donkey. He ate his last meal in a borrowed room. And before He died, his clothes (his only possession) were taken from him. He literally died owning nothing of this world. Poverty is not a sign of God's neglect.

Jesus was born in a feed trough. His parents paid the smallest possible offering at the temple, because they were the poorest of the poor. He spent his adult life homeless. He never knew where his next meal was coming from. He hung out with the dregs of society. He rode a borrowed donkey. He ate his last meal in a borrowed room. And before He died, his clothes (his only possession) were taken from him. He literally died owning nothing of this world. Poverty is not a sign of God's neglect.

This.

Back