• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

So now opposing Dear Leader is demonic. Next up are the witch trials, I suppose.

I would really appreciate Rick Perry not filling the egomaniacal narcissist’s head with idea that he was chosen by God and giving him a list of the terrible things Old Testament Kings did to reassure him of it.

These people have been steadily losing the culture wars since the Sixties, they know the nation's demographics are changing, and so they've turned to Trump as the Messiah and last hope to save them from the horror of not being the dominant group in America anymore. It's a cult in that they've been convinced the world is against them, and only Dear Leader can protect and save them. And it is frightening and utterly undemocratic. After leaving the WH, Harry Truman and his wife Bess went on a European tour. They met the famous art historian Bernard Berenson in Florence, Italy. Berenson was greatly impressed with Truman, and wrote (among other things) that "I always felt what a solid and sensible basis there is in the British stock of the USA if it can produce a man like Truman. Now I feel more assured about America than in a long time. If the Truman miracle can occur, we need not fear even the Senator Joe McCarthys."

Sadly, that "solid and sensible" basis has gone out the window with a good many whites. Now we have an even worse version of Joe McCarthy, but as POTUS instead of merely a Senator, and he's blindly followed and virtually worshiped by tens of millions of people. I actually agree with the Grahams and Falwells and other Evangelicals that America has lost its way, except that they're dead wrong in how and why it has lost its way, and Evangelicals are a big part of the problem, not the solution.

Evangelicals are the problem. They condition each other to believe whatever they are told despite any evidence to the contrary. That predisposition allows them to hunker down and foster the world is against us narrative. Once that happened "by any means necessary" became their internalized mantra. The donald is the ultimate expression of all their hopes and, more importantly, fears.

Evangelicals are the problem. They condition each other to believe whatever they are told despite any evidence to the contrary. That predisposition allows them to hunker down and foster the world is against us narrative. Once that happened "by any means necessary" became their internalized mantra. The donald is the ultimate expression of all their hopes and, more importantly, fears.

Here is a good read about how basic evangelicalism breeds the “world is against us” narrative.
https://www.boredpanda.com/religious-people-converting-rejection-brainwashing-technique/

It's a Jew coup! (I really want to hear Roy Moore's wife say that).

Last edited:
Fox News and conservative media work the same way. Their viewers take what they learn in the conservative ecosystem out into the real world and we reject it and them. Then they go back to the comfort of that ecosystem and their family and friends and others who soothe them and welcome them back as warfighters for the greater cause.

Fox News and conservative media work the same way. Their viewers take what they learn in the conservative ecosystem out into the real world and we reject it and them. Then they go back to the comfort of that ecosystem and their family and friends and others who soothe them and welcome them back as warfighters for the greater cause.

most of rural america never encounters anyone else. I grew up rural and way more than half the folks I went to HS with have 2-5 kids, a buncha pictures of tractors or john deeres and honest living, and most have never ventured out of the rural bubble for any significant period of time. All the kids in my AP classes have 0-1 kids. Their parents had a farm or a tractor business or the like and they did what their parents did or went to work with their buddies whose parents had some line of work they could get involved in.

Same time I look at their house and their yard and I'm in the big city where I probably can't afford either and sure as shit can't afford to have kids or send them to school, and the simpler life sure does have its appeal.

Last edited:
Sure. But even in rural areas there are some liberals and rural conservatives go on social media and the comments section of librul media.

Sure. But even in rural areas there are some liberals and rural conservatives go on social media and the comments section of librul media.

Very few of these people ever really post anything political. People posting on the comments sections are generally not in their 30s.

If you actually go a month not checking out the tunnels or checking cnn.com or foxnews, its rather striking how little the world ending around us actually affects your daily life.

If you actually go a month not checking out the tunnels or checking cnn.com or foxnews, its rather striking how little the world ending around us actually affects your daily life.

Yeah. People like us don't understand that at all. I live that in my household. My wife decided to just check out from the news shortly after the 2016 election. She occasionally listens to NPR and that's it. She'd resurface to canvass and other stuff in 2018 and will do the same in 2020, but she barely knows anything about the primary. I told her about impeachment when it was announced, but she couldn't tell you the name of any of the witnesses. And she's a college professor who is generally up to date on non-political current events.

Back