• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Political Confessional: The Evangelical Who Doesn’t Support Trump

This week we talked with Jennifer, a 38 year old white woman from North Carolina who wrote in to say, “I am an evangelical Christian but I think Trumpism is actually, truly a religious cult.” She feels “horrified to watch most of my friends and family believe Trump is God’s chosen one … I feel like I’m living inside of the story “The Emperor Has No Clothes.” Am I the crazy one?! Why can no one in church see he’s naked!!!!!”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...nal-the-evangelical-who-doesnt-support-trump/

Political Confessional: The Evangelical Who Doesn’t Support Trump

This week we talked with Jennifer, a 38 year old white woman from North Carolina who wrote in to say, “I am an evangelical Christian but I think Trumpism is actually, truly a religious cult.” She feels “horrified to watch most of my friends and family believe Trump is God’s chosen one … I feel like I’m living inside of the story “The Emperor Has No Clothes.” Am I the crazy one?! Why can no one in church see he’s naked!!!!!”

https://fivethirtyeight.com/feature...nal-the-evangelical-who-doesnt-support-trump/
Chris Ladd is a good writer. He does a great job pointing out the ugliness of modern conservatism.

I think Trump calling the magazine “ET” presumably for “Evangelical Today” made sense whether it was on purpose or not. “Evangelical” is a purely political term that’s removed from actual Christianity. It’s all about stopping abortion and not about bringing souls to Christ.
95% chance he thought it was ENTERTAINMENT TONIGHT

Seems strange to me that conservatives don’t have faith in the free market with respect to their own ideas and beliefs. If Christianity was offering comfort to folks for those ailments (it certainly can and should), then wouldn’t rational actors turn to churches for that comfort?

Someone posted an article recently-ish describing the way current born again Christianity proceletises is really designed to empower their leaders and foster an us against them mentality. Good article and spot on for these "religious liberty" champions. They really just want more Christians like themselves.

Someone posted an article recently-ish describing the way current born again Christianity proceletises is really designed to empower their leaders and foster an us against them mentality. Good article and spot on for these "religious liberty" champions. They really just want more Christians like themselves.

No doubt they do, except that instead of getting more Christians like themselves their numbers are actually shrinking as an overall share of the population. Their current leaders and spokesmen - the Grahams and Falwells and Osteens and other worthies of the Religious Right - don't care, because they'll either be dead or retired and living off their loot by the time the demographic crash hits.

No doubt they do, except that instead of getting more Christians like themselves their numbers are actually shrinking as an overall share of the population. Their current leaders and spokesmen - the Grahams and Falwells and Osteens and other worthies of the Religious Right - don't care, because they'll either be dead or retired and living off their loot by the time the demographic crash hits.

Well their organizations often grow as Christianity dies around them. This may not still be true, but about 10 years ago mega churches were growing as overall church attendance declined.

Well their organizations often grow as Christianity dies around them. This may not still be true, but about 10 years ago mega churches were growing as overall church attendance declined.

And the growth of those megachurches puts more money into their pockets. Personal profits = Christianity. Overall they're killing their religion among younger generations, but as long as they can rake in the cash from preaching crap like the Prosperity Gospel and hitching Evangelical (Fundamentalist) Christianity to the GOP they'll gladly continue to do so, long-term consequences be damned.

And the growth of those megachurches puts more money into their pockets. Personal profits = Christianity. Overall they're killing their religion among younger generations, but as long as they can rake in the cash from preaching crap like the Prosperity Gospel and hitching Evangelical (Fundamentalist) Christianity to the GOP they'll gladly continue to do so, long-term consequences be damned.

This is what I’m getting at. I can’t decide if they genuinely believe the idea that younger folks will find their way back as they get older or they just don’t care about the future of their faith. Probably some of both. These aren’t exactly people known for relying on data based decision making, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are just naive about the boomerang that won’t happen.

This is what I’m getting at. I can’t decide if they genuinely believe the idea that younger folks will find their way back as they get older or they just don’t care about the future of their faith. Probably some of both. These aren’t exactly people known for relying on data based decision making, so it wouldn’t surprise me if they are just naive about the boomerang that won’t happen.

It's not their fault that numbers are declining. They are the victims. The liberals with their heathen culture are driving people away. They must win the culture war by voting for Republicans who will defend righteous America from the abortionists, gays, and Muslims. The unfair attacks on Trump remind them of the unfair attacks lobbed at them.

It's not their fault that numbers are declining. They are the victims. The liberals with their heathen culture are driving people away. They must win the culture war by voting for Republicans who will defend righteous America from the abortionists, gays, and Muslims. The unfair attacks on Trump remind them of the unfair attacks lobbed at them.

Which gets back to my point about not having faith in the free market for their ideas.

Last edited:

You missed the biggest one- letting transgender people using bathrooms of the sex they identify as.

Can't imagine bringing a cap to church much less wearing one in church.

Back