• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

The left semi-rehabbing Falwell Sr-even if it was mostly to compare Falwell Jr negatively to him-has been very strange. Falwell Sr was the one who said that 9/11 was Gods revenge on the gays and feminists. At least he seemed to sincerely believe what he said?

The senior Falwell wasn't usually as cocky and in-your-face as his son, but I don't think he was any more honest than Falwell Junior. He always seemed to sport a smug smile, cozied up to Jesse Helms the way his son has to Trump (the elder Falwell once prayed for "a hundred men like Jesse Helms" to sit in the US Senate), and generally seemed a mixture of self-righteous puritan and entrepreneur on the make, like a good many televangelists. A telling moment came when he moved in on Jim and Tammy Faye Bakker's Heritage USA theme park near Charlotte when the Bakkers got themselves into legal trouble and Jim went to prison. As I recall, Falwell Sr. basically took over the park and ran it for awhile. He was as much of a man on the make as his son, but with a little more polish and concern about PR, imo. The elder Falwell admired and supported Helms, but never adopted his cocky in-your-face attitude and style, while his son seems to have gone full Trumpster. In terms of their values and character I don't think there's probably much difference.

Last edited:
Both are/were full of shit.

Horrible people and horrible Christian witnesses.

As I’ve said before, Wake should have nothing to do with Liberty. No sports, nothing.

Wake (and everyone else) should absolutely pull out of any collaboration, sporting or otherwise, with liberty university.

Wake (and everyone else) should absolutely pull out of any collaboration, sporting or otherwise, with liberty university.

That’ll give them a perfect Christian persecution narrative that the dipshits will eat up.

That’ll give them a perfect Christian persecution narrative that the dipshits will eat up.

Who cares? Let them moan all they want while playing football against Bob Jones Univ in front of 5K fans.

It doesn’t have to be a dramatic or public thing, just politely decline to engage them.

Also, those same dipshits are eating up that bs anyway. F em.

liberty university is DESPERATE to be viewed as big time. Hit them and their anti science and anti history selves by relegating them and their religion of political trumpism into irrelevance. Keep them playing the bob jones universities of the world and they'll never be on tv and increase their brand.

I don’t think as a grown-up, I’ve ever made that face in a church.

Any religious person that looks at that has to realize his "faith" a smokescreen right?

I wonder how many people had to be beaten and gassed within an inch of their lives to afford Trump the opportunity to take that awfully uncomfortable picture. They look like suspects in a police lineup, not spouses in a church.

Back