• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Truly horrifying and damnable that those folks describe feeling much more comfortable voting for Dear Leader this time around than last.

The essence is a "we" vs. "they" mentality. And a fear of the other. Easily exploited by shitty politicians that care mainly about their own damned power.

See:

There is a straight line from that day at Dordt four years ago to a recent scene at a chapel in Washington, where armed officers tear-gassed peaceful protesters in Lafayette Square and shot them with rubber pellets. They were clearing the way for Mr. Trump to march from the White House to St. John’s Episcopal Church and hold up a Bible, a declaration of Christian power.

“We have the greatest country in the world,” he said. “We’re going to keep it nice and safe.”

It was another instantly infamous moment, covered by cable news and decried by Democrats as an unseemly photo op. But in Sioux Center, many evangelicals once again received a different message, one that echoed the words uttered by a long-shot presidential candidate in a sanctuary on a cold winter morning.

“To me it was like, that’s great. Trump is recognizing the Bible, we are one nation under God,” Mr. Schouten said. “He is willing to stand out there and take a picture of it for the country to see.”

He added: “Trump was standing up for Christianity.”

Trump was dealing with a bruised ago and news coverage that made him look weak. He had peaceful protesters beat up so that he could walk outside for a photo op. But all he has to do is awkwardly hold up a bible and his followers will interpret the move as standing up for Christianity.

Well, those protesters should a been a workin you see.

Not distuptin an agitatin an a trying to tell others how to live.

You see?

Truly horrifying and damnable that those folks describe feeling much more comfortable voting for Dear Leader this time around than last.

I don't think it is horrifying. Their lives have not been negatively effected by the President during the last 4 years, based on upon their descriptions. So why wouldn't they vote for him.

I think the article does a good job of highlighting how different the experiences are for people in this country depending where you live.

Horrifying because it suggests to me just how deluded can we be by our prejudices, fears and insecurities.

And similarly how our ability empathize can be so damned selective.

So it's all about power, to support a religion based on the teachings of a man who challenged the powers-that-be and warned that power corrupts. Seems like they haven't learned the teachings and heeded the warnings of Jesus very well, and what they're really after is the power to force others to bend to their will and moral dictates. Kind of like, I don't know, the Pharisees. In the end this isn't about "saving" Christianity (and not all Christians are Evangelical fundamentalists), it's about saving the dominance of their cultural and social beliefs over everyone else.

Yep. One of the core elements of Jesus was that he specifically rejected the Devil’s temptation of political power and continued his mission of sacrifice.

“Christianity will have power” rejects all reality. Every President has at least claimed to be a Christian. Perhaps the most earnest Christian President of my lifetime was hated by white evangelicals and spurred the religious right turning to a Hollywood actor to lead them. Our laws and customs still reflect a Judeo-Christian foundation.

I do think these people are unwittingly killing American Christianity in the long run. In the short run there have been political gains, but even then they've continued losing the culture wars (see gay marriage, for example) by wide margins, and that's not going to end anytime soon. Churches - including most Evangelical and Fundamentalist churches - are continuing to lose members, and younger generations are far less devoutly Christian than older ones, largely because of the blatant politicizing of Christianity as little more than an arm of the GOP, and because of the seemingly endless personal scandals of those who portray themselves as leaders of the Religious Right, the most recent being Little Falwell. In their desire to elect people like Trump to "protect" and "promote" their moral and cultural views (which Trump most definitely doesn't share or practice himself) they're slowly but steadily bringing about the very decline that they fear and dread.

Last edited:
These right wing evangelicals are uncompromising. Inorder to marginalize these hard-core conservatives, the Democratic Party will have to find new voters.

I do think these people are unwittingly killing American Christianity in the long run. In the short run there have been political gains, but even then they've continued losing the culture wars (see gay marriage, for example) by wide margins, and that's not going to end anytime soon. Churches - including most Evangelical and Fundamentalist churches - are continuing to lose members, and younger generations are far less devoutly Christian than older ones, largely because of the blatant politicizing of Christianity as little more than an arm of the GOP, and because of the seemingly endless personal scandals of those who portray themselves as leaders of the Religious Right, the most recent being Little Falwell. In their desire to elect people like Trump to "protect" and "promote" their moral and cultural views (which Trump most definitely doesn't share or practice himself) they're slowly but steadily bringing about the very decline that they fear and dread.

Purely anecdotal, but the population of my in-laws’ church is almost exclusively 60 and older. No youth presence at all. I’ve noticed this trend with a lot of the hardline Southern Baptist churches in my are. Young people, even in Bumfuck, Appalachia, ain’t trying to here that shit.

At the church we attend, which has the evil rock band and is cool with tats and piercings and gays, I’m one of the older members. Of course, you can see the outline of our pastor’s cock through his skinny jeans every Sunday, so I guess there are flaws in every interpretation.

Coastal elites don’t understand us and think we are dumb hicks but we really aren’t, proceed to do dumb as shit things to reinforce that actually is who they are.

"We're not dumb hicks!" they scream as they elect a movie star, an actual dumb hick, and then a reality tv star to the oval office. Really showed us.

Yep. And no matter how many people write about how white evangelical support for Trump made them rethink religion, they’ll blame Hollywood and Democrats and the internet and science instead.

Apparently Little Falwell had some good, clean fun on his boat recently. Nice to see a Man of God upholding traditional family values! I wonder what his Liberty U. would have said to one of its students, faculty, or staff who attended such a party.

EehCBK8U0AAb8zp

You got to find it funny that his first concern was that people would think he was drinking a rum and coke... god forbid !

I speculate someone was threatening to release the photo and he decided to get ahead of it and attempted to frame the narrative to be about the drink.

Aside from the mercenaries and swamps, is there even such a thing as "black water"? Google doesn't point me to whatever he's trying to tell us that is.

Aside from the mercenaries and swamps, is there even such a thing as "black water"? Google doesn't point me to whatever he's trying to tell us that is.

Yeah, my first thought was "what the heck is black water?" And why would he need a "prop"?

The blackwater national wildlife refuge in eastern Maryland is one of the last refugia for the Delmarva Fox squirrel, an endangered species endemic to the Delmarva Peninsula (Maryland the Delaware).

290px-Delmarva_fox_squirrel_%287013873661%29.jpg

Blackwater does have a meaning in boat and camper parlance.

Could be...?

Back