• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Pretty much. Very late though.

She's a smoking hot 63.5 year old.

Take a scroll through the mentions if pops or anyone convinces you that trumpism was just a temporary flirtation.

American Christianity was probably dead before 2016, but it was willingly sacrificed on the altar of a reality TV show blowhard.

Franklin just tried to bosides this shit on twitter and the seething response from both sides is just about hilarious. Welp, he definitely earned it.

Franklin just tried to bosides this shit on twitter and the seething response from both sides is just about hilarious. Welp, he definitely earned it.

It's frightening to see how many people are offended at the very notion of asking them to pray for Joe Biden and Kamala Harris. It's such a mystery why Christianity is losing ground in the hearts and minds of people ???

I'm honestly surprised that he even tried to bosides it. I was expecting something along the lines of "Today is a reminder of the fall of the Walls of Jericho from the glorious Old Testament! May this attempt to reclaim our beloved country from the clutches of pagan sinful coastal elites be blessed by the Almighty! And remember to donate generously to Samaritan's Purse to continue converting the heathen and pay the mortgage on my mountain retreat!" Or some such.

He's not really a Christian. Not in the "do as Jesus says/does" variety. I suppose he is the very modern "prosperity gospel/Jesus is a republican/do as I say not as I do" variety.

This is a good read from a friend from Wake who is an Anglican priest and author.

Franklin Graham is not Christian.

Unfortunately for Christendom, he probably is. Now it’s fair to argue he’s not a follower of Christ, but he’s an easily recognizable 21st Century American Christian. Which is why Christianity is lost.

Today's modern Christians are speeding up the demise of Christianity as a viable organized religion.

Someone should remind Franklin that the book of revelation tells us that 12 tribes (adding up to 144k people) will be taken to heaven. That's it. Franklin and his ilk will be left behind for the destruction of earth and its their fault. If you believe in that.

The prosperity gospel has really taken the rank and file very far from where Jesus intended.

Today's modern Christians are speeding up the demise of Christianity as a viable organized religion.

Someone should remind Franklin that the book of revelation tells us that 12 tribes (adding up to 144k people) will be taken to heaven. That's it. Franklin and his ilk will be left behind for the destruction of earth and its their fault. If you believe in that.

The prosperity gospel has really taken the rank and file very far from where Jesus intended.

Nearly every American religious denomination, including most Evangelical sects, are steadily losing members. The Southern Baptist Convention released a report a few years ago that said that unless membership trends were reversed, up to a third of SBC churches may be closed for lack of members within the next quarter-century. Even many rural churches are either stagnant or losing members at varying rates. These people are killing their own golden goose, all for short-term profit and political gain. If something like the Rapture ever takes place (I was raised on that belief and don't believe in it anymore, or at least not the version that Evangelicals do) many of these Evangelicals will be sorely disappointed when they are among those Left Behind. Lots of them would be, I would guess, starting with their leaders like Graham and Falwell and Robertson and Osteen and on and on.

Last edited:
Trump Ignites a War Within the Church

David Brooks piece.

...One core feature of Trumpism is that it forces you to betray every other commitment you might have: to the truth, moral character, the Sermon on the Mount, conservative principles, the Constitution. In defeat, some people are finally not willing to sacrifice all else on Trump’s altar.

The split we are seeing is not theological or philosophical. It’s a division between those who have become detached from reality and those who, however right wing, are still in the real world.

Hence, it’s not an argument. You can’t argue with people who have their own separate made-up set of facts. You can’t have an argument with people who are deranged by the euphoric rage of what Erich Fromm called group narcissism — the thoughtless roar of those who believe their superior group is being polluted by alien groups.

It’s a pure power struggle. The weapons in this struggle are intimidation, verbal assault, death threats and violence, real and rhetorical. The fantasyland mobbists have an advantage because they relish using these weapons, while their fellow Christians just want to lead their lives.

The problem is, how do you go about reattaching people to reality?

David French, the conservative Christian writer who fought in the Iraq war, says the way to build a sane G.O.P. is to borrow a page from the counterinsurgency handbook: Separate the insurgents from the population.

That means prosecuting the rioters, impeaching the president and not tolerating cyberterrorism within a community or congregation.

Others have to be reminded of the basic rules for perceiving reality. They have to be reminded that all truth is God’s truth; that inquiry strengthens faith, that it is narcissistic self-idolatry to think you can create your own truth based on what you “feel.” There will probably have to be pastors and local leaders who model and admire evidence-based reasoning, wrestling with ideas.

On the left, leaders and organizations have arisen to champion open inquiry, to stand up to the cancel mobs. They have begun to shift the norms.

The problem on the right is vastly worse. But we have seen that unreason is a voracious beast. If it is not confronted, it devours not only your party, but also your nation and your church.

Nearly every American religious denomination, including most Evangelical sects, are steadily losing members. The Southern Baptist Convention released a report a few years ago that said that unless membership trends were reversed, up to a third of SBC churches may be closed for lack of members within the next quarter-century. Even many rural churches are either stagnant or losing members at varying rates. These people are killing their own golden goose, all for short-term profit and political gain. If something like the Rapture ever takes place (I was raised on that belief and don't believe in it anymore, or at least not the version that Evangelicals do) many of these Evangelicals will be sorely disappointed when they are among those Left Behind. Lots of them would be, I would guess, starting with their leaders like Graham and Falwell and Robertson and Osteen and on and on.

Except mega churches continue to grow. Or at least that was the case the last time I researched it.

Except mega churches continue to grow. Or at least that was the case the last time I researched it.

I've seen that too, although the figures are all over the place, but despite their large size megachurches are still only a fraction of overall church attendance figures. I've also read that one problem with determining the exact enrollment figures in many denominations is sloppy record-keeping, and some churches fudge their attendance figures. Having said that I don't think there's any doubt that regular church attendance and membership is declining in most parts of the country, and in some areas is declining rather sharply.

The rise of mega churches seems to be killing small churches. Add the politization and weaponization of religion in general and you have fewer voices teaching and creating church doctrine. That leads to more extreme views and, I believe, drives more people away from Christian churches overall. A glossy mega church may look and feel good at first glance but dig a little and you just might find fools gold.

Back