• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

My small town anecdote is that the SBC church I grew up in is indeed dwindling in membership but not to people losing faith, but rather moving to the shiny new evangelical church. The area is too small for these to be truly "mega churches" but relatively speaking, they are mega.

My small town anecdote is that the SBC church I grew up in is indeed dwindling in membership but not to people losing faith, but rather moving to the shiny new evangelical church. The area is too small for these to be truly "mega churches" but relatively speaking, they are mega.

Mega Churches or MAGA Churches?

One thing I've observed over the years is that the harder someone thumps on a Bible. The less that person understands what's between the covers.

SHHHHH...don't give Trump any ideas. He could actually become a billionaire if he "found God" and started the Church of Trump.

i agree with that. If you have read the bible and have some insight, you'll understand that our "thumping" simply distracts from God's work. We are called to share what's inside earnestly and with love - and that rarely includes shouting at someone or scaring them. God doesn't need us to thump.

he did "find god" and a billion dollars.

pence as vp proved it. the look of disdain on his face while tv christians prayed over him sealed the deal. he took in 200m+ (twice the largest haul ever) for the in inaugural comittee. the 4 year 2020 campaign took in a billion. 260m+ plus post election. i'd put money that a very large percentage of those donations were from evangelicals (followed by foreign agents and billionaires). more trump, white nationalist group, and confederate battle flags flew over the insurection than American flags. trump is absolutely a religious brand at this point.

Maybe Trump just starts his own brand of MAGA mega churches to sidestep taxes all together.

should we start a "religious right coming to terms with their hypocrisy" thread? I think not - these examples serve as a useful counterbalance to all the hypocrisy that is well documented here.

tax the fuck out of churches, they are scams lead by conmen. that is why they like trump.

tax the fuck out of churches, they are scams lead by conmen. that is why they like trump.

In many major cities the largest landowner is the Catholic Church. Think of the real estate taxes.

In many major cities the largest landowner is the Catholic Church. Think of the real estate taxes.

the church has been politicized long enough, so much more under trump, that their tax-free status should be revoked. this country need to learn about accountability.

I'm afraid we're finally done with church after the wife saw her women's group leader post that she was at the Trump rally the day of the uprising, and then later claim that it was a peaceful protest and the people inside the capitol were all members of Antifa and BLM. I'm not crushed, as I mainly went just to keep her happy, but it does sadden me to see her faith, which has remained pretty steadfast throughout a sometimes difficult life and has been a source of peace and affirmation for her during hard times, crumble like it has over the past couple of years. Modern Christianity has effectually killed her religion.

I'm afraid we're finally done with church after the wife saw her women's group leader post that she was at the Trump rally the day of the uprising, and then later claim that it was a peaceful protest and the people inside the capitol were all members of Antifa and BLM. I'm not crushed, as I mainly went just to keep her happy, but it does sadden me to see her faith, which has remained pretty steadfast throughout a sometimes difficult life and has been a source of peace and affirmation for her during hard times, crumble like it has over the past couple of years. Modern Christianity has effectually killed her religion.

You could try a different church?

You could try a different church?

This is number 4 in 5 years, and we basically find the same issues in them all around our area. We won't attend a church that preaches against homosexuality, and that has been a kicker in the previous 3. She's become pretty disillusioned with the whole concept of organized religion unfortunately.

mako, that's terrible. Please reassure her that there are millions of fellow believers who share in her horror about this. I hope you can find a church that fills her spirit and allows you both to worship and grow in your faith. The good news is that there are plenty of churches you can attend online - this is where we go, and I can assure you there is no support for trump or his cronies from the leaders. Instead, they teach about what the Bible actually says and are very inclusive. I love it. https://foresthill.org/

We are all fallen sinners - some have strayed far, but there's hope for everyone to repent and turn to God. Even Trump and Franklin Graham.

Back