• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

The SBC basically formed to discriminate anyway, so this was inevitable.

The roots of the SBC are the 1845 organizing meeting, which expressly split away from northern Baptists over slavery. The SBC expressly supported it and the follow-on Jim Crow laws and rules for decades. So not surprising the SBC leadership and much of the membership is all in for Trump.

Agreed. Unsurprising. These people (trumpist and racist evangelicals) are so short sighted. They are actively killing their own organizations and the health of American Christianity. If they actually believed in the Bible they would remember the book of revelation says 12 tribes of 144k people would be saved. Maybe they believe they are helping god thin the herd by ensuring THEIR followers are not following the words and teachings of jesus. Guess they are content to receive a few worldly gifts and roll the dice about that pesky afterlife later.

Kinzinger really seems like the real deal.

[h=1]Betraying Your Church—And Your Party[/h]How Representative Adam Kinzinger, an evangelical Republican, decided to vote for impeachment—and start calling out his church

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...inzinger-voting-impeachment-christian/617848/

Looking to political personalities rather than Jesus for salvation is the worst kind of mistake a Christian can make, Kinzinger said. “There are many people that have made America their god, that have made the economy their god, that have made Donald Trump their god, and that have made their political identity their god.”

Kinzinger first got elected to Congress under Barack Obama, and over the past decade, he has watched his party transform. “No longer does policy actually matter. It’s all about: Do you support Donald Trump, or don’t you? Do you want to own the left, or don’t you?” he said. Although he stated publicly that he wouldn’t vote for Trump in 2016, he did vote for the president in 2020, citing a desire to build on the administration’s policy successes. Unlike some Republicans, he has not spent the past four years on the front lines of the Never Trump resistance; he generally supported Trump’s agenda in Congress, voting in line with the president’s goals roughly 90 percent of the time. But unlike other members of the GOP, Kinzinger was unwilling to keep fighting for Trump after it was clear that he had lost the election. “I’m embarrassed by some of my Republican colleagues on the floor. They have defaulted to political points for fame and have failed to rise to this moment,” he tweeted on January 6. He later joined Democrats to encourage Vice President Mike Pence to invoke the Twenty-Fifth Amendment and remove Trump from office.

Kinzinger really seems like the real deal.

[h=1]Betraying Your Church—And Your Party[/h]How Representative Adam Kinzinger, an evangelical Republican, decided to vote for impeachment—and start calling out his church

https://www.theatlantic.com/politic...inzinger-voting-impeachment-christian/617848/

I've watched a number of his interviews and he does seem impressive. I doubt I agree with him about very many political issues, but at least he's willing to call out what's happened recently as wrong. Sadly, I expect that he may well go the way of Justin Amash and be purged from the party. Talking about having principles is fine, but actually standing up for them is beyond the pale, apparently.

Televangelist Ravi Zacharias, who died last year from cancer at age 74, "led a double life of forced sexual coercion" for years without getting caught, according to a public statement from his own ministry, the Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM). Zacharias got his start preaching at a 1983 conference organized by Billy Graham, wrote some two dozen religious books and had his own radio show, and had a good number of fans among leading conservative politicians and celebrities, especially Mike Pence.

"RZIM released an independent report by the Atlanta law firm Miller & Martin detailing Zacharias' transgressions, including sexual misconduct and rape allegations from more than a dozen massage therapists and the discovery of about 200 photos of young women on his phones, some of them nude selfies."

"Most of the women Miller & Martin interviewed said that during massages, Zacharias would grab their breasts or genitals and ask for sexual gratification. Investigators found more than 200 other massage therapists listed in his phones, many of them in Asia. He spent months at a pair of apartments he owned in Bangkok, and the investigators found 2016 texts showing that Zacharias "spent his days writing and his nights receiving massages" there...the woman who accused Zacharias of rape said that after he "arranged for the ministry to provide her with financial support, he required sex from her," then "made her pray with him to thank God for the 'opportunity' they both received." The woman told investigators that Zacharias "called her his 'reward' for living a life of service to God," and "said he warned her not ever to speak out against him or she would be responsible for the 'millions of souls' whose salvation would be lost if his reputation was damaged."

"Following the law firm's investigation and conclusions, his ministry (run now by his daughter) issued a statement that it was "shocked and grieved by Ravi's actions," and apologized to his victims: "Words cannot come close to expressing the sorrow that we feel for what you have been through or the gratitude we feel for the bravery with which you have responded." RZIM denied any sexual misconduct by its founder last fall, and Zacharias had sued one accuser for extortion before he died."

Among the mourners at his funeral last year were Tim Tebow and Vice President Pence, who spoke at his funeral and said "In Ravi Zacharias, God gave us the greatest Christian apologist of this century...He was the C.S. Lewis of our day."

Forcing a woman his ministry financially supported to have sex with him and then making her pray to God with him thanking God for the "opportunity" they had both received, telling her that she was his "reward" for living a godly life, and warning her not to tell anyone about what he was making her do because she would then be responsible for millions of souls going to hell. Sounds like this guy was real piece of work. Yet another televangelist charlatan.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/prominent-evangelical-leader-ravi-zacharias-121900046.html

Last edited:
Seems on par with what I expect from preachers at this point.

Televangelist Ravi Zacharias, who died last year from cancer at age 74, "led a double life of forced sexual coercion" for years without getting caught, according to a public statement from his own ministry, the Ravi Zacharias International Ministries (RZIM). Zacharias got his start preaching at a 1983 conference organized by Billy Graham, wrote some two dozen religious books and had his own radio show, and had a good number of fans among leading conservative politicians and celebrities, especially Mike Pence.

"RZIM released an independent report by the Atlanta law firm Miller & Martin detailing Zacharias' transgressions, including sexual misconduct and rape allegations from more than a dozen massage therapists and the discovery of about 200 photos of young women on his phones, some of them nude selfies."

"Most of the women Miller & Martin interviewed said that during massages, Zacharias would grab their breasts or genitals and ask for sexual gratification. Investigators found more than 200 other massage therapists listed in his phones, many of them in Asia. He spent months at a pair of apartments he owned in Bangkok, and the investigators found 2016 texts showing that Zacharias "spent his days writing and his nights receiving massages" there...the woman who accused Zacharias of rape said that after he "arranged for the ministry to provide her with financial support, he required sex from her," then "made her pray with him to thank God for the 'opportunity' they both received." The woman told investigators that Zacharias "called her his 'reward' for living a life of service to God," and "said he warned her not ever to speak out against him or she would be responsible for the 'millions of souls' whose salvation would be lost if his reputation was damaged."

"Following the law firm's investigation and conclusions, his ministry (run now by his daughter) issued a statement that it was "shocked and grieved by Ravi's actions," and apologized to his victims: "Words cannot come close to expressing the sorrow that we feel for what you have been through or the gratitude we feel for the bravery with which you have responded." RZIM denied any sexual misconduct by its founder last fall, and Zacharias had sued one accuser for extortion before he died."

Among the mourners at his funeral last year were Tim Tebow and Vice President Pence, who spoke at his funeral and said "In Ravi Zacharias, God gave us the greatest Christian apologist of this century...He was the C.S. Lewis of our day."

Forcing a woman his ministry financially supported to have sex with him and then making her pray to God with him thanking God for the "opportunity" they had both received, telling her that she was his "reward" for living a godly life, and warning her not to tell anyone about what he was making her do because she would then be responsible for millions of souls going to hell. Sounds like this guy was real piece of work. Yet another televangelist charlatan.

Link: https://www.yahoo.com/news/prominent-evangelical-leader-ravi-zacharias-121900046.html

Point still stands.

Opinion: The GOP is now just the party of white grievance

...Yet the largest single group within the new GOP coalition is comprised of people who claim to be evangelical Christians. And the view of human beings implied by Trumpism is a direct negation of Christian teaching (as well as many other systems of belief). Christians are informed — not by political correctness, but by Jesus — that every addict and homeless person you might encounter on a nocturnal walk in New York is the presence of Christ in disguise. And the parable He told in Matthew 25 illustrating this point is a rather stern one. Those who follow their pre-cognitive disgust and refuse to treat the hungry, the stranger, the sick and imprisoned as they would Christ are told: “Depart from me, you who are cursed, into the eternal fire prepared for the devil and his angels.”

This Christian anthropology does not dictate specific policies. But it requires Christians to ask: How should we act in the political realm if every human being we encounter — everyone we admire and everyone we disdain; everyone we agree with and everyone we disagree with; everyone we love and everyone we hate — were actually the image of Christ in our midst? No one can live in this manner at every moment. But it is an ideal that should cause us to tremble.

No one could possibly accuse White evangelicals of consistently defending this view of humanity in the Republican coalition. There have been only scattered peeps of protest as an agenda of dehumanization has advanced. The complete lack of a debate on these matters is an indictment. At some point, the issue ceases to be hypocrisy, because hypocrisy requires the existence of a standard.

Missouri Baptist Minister preaches a taped sermon on how women "shouldn't let themselves go" after getting married, praises the good looks of trophy wives like Melania Trump, and urges married women to keep themselves pretty for their husbands - women look too "butch" these days, he says. However, men don't have to do the same and keep themselves looking good for their wives, apparently Jeezus said so somewhere. Following the sermon he received enough criticism online and in local news media that he has "taken a leave of absence" from his church to undergo "professional counseling". Uh-huh.

Last edited:
Do white evangelicals ever preach on salvation? Honest question.

Yes. Of course churches vary and plenty just fear monger. They all twist the message to fit their world view. Misinterpreting the bible occurs accidentally or on purpose. All too often now the spiritual and political get mixed together in our new 'merican order.

Just finished reading Jesus and John Wayne. It spent some time talking about the white evangelical insistence on the “smoking hot wife.” It was a great book detailing the militant masculinity of white evangelicalism and how that value led us to a Trump.

Just finished reading Jesus and John Wayne. It spent some time talking about the white evangelical insistence on the “smoking hot wife.” It was a great book detailing the militant masculinity of white evangelicalism and how that value led us to a Trump.

This makes me want to dial back some of my rhetoric. I don't insist upon the smoking hot wife; I'm just very appreciative of the fact that my wife is smoking hot.

Should I feel shame because my wife is, indeed, smoking hot?

The church I grew up in did joint revivals with a local black church, and from my experience black evangelicals preach on just about everything because the sermons are roughly 7 months long.

I also became aware of the inferiority of white evangelical music at a very young age.

Back