• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Not to mention the generally anemic singing habits/talents of white vs black churches...

Do white evangelicals ever preach on salvation? Honest question.

I would say "yes" and almost to a fault. This is how/why QAnon has infiltrated their congregations. This is why their congregations are practicing racists. When they preach biblical application, it is on a very narrow spectrum and rarely delves into social justice/behavior. When is the last time you heard "The Bible says 'Love you neighbor as yourself.' Black people are our neighbors. What does loving them look like? Would it be loving to remove the racist systems in this country?" from an evangelical pulpit? The focus is on saving people almost exclusively, but not biblical application in a social context.

America has an obesity epidemic, but rarely do we hear sermons on gluttony (exception: Seventh Day Adventists are biblical vegetarians). I suspected most preachers didn't go there because it would be an unpopular topic with the congregation (especially the overweight wives?). Why this guy is calling out women only here is puzzling. Why he did not tread here with more humility given his physical condition is even more puzzling. On one hand I am glad/amazed this preacher touched this "third rail" at all, but especially in this way. The blowback has probably chilled any other preacher from this topic, not that they were going to preach on it anyway.

Naval Ravikant (not a Christian) said in ancient times mankind's issues were of scarcity (not enough food, not enough clothes, not enough shelter, etc). Our issues in modern times are of excess (too much food, too much free time, too much leisure, closets full of clothes, big houses). He is obviously correct, and it would be nice for American preachers to realize this and preach accordingly.

Well those issues cause scarcity for many people now.

haha, a fat fuck like that Pastor Stewart Allen-Clark talking about trophy wives and keeping in shape.

yet another reason i believe organized religion and pastors are just charlatans and con-artists. i really don't know why anyone would go to any church any longer.

it is not required...

that guy deserves to loose everything.

I would say "yes" and almost to a fault. This is how/why QAnon has infiltrated their congregations. This is why their congregations are practicing racists. When they preach biblical application, it is on a very narrow spectrum and rarely delves into social justice/behavior. When is the last time you heard "The Bible says 'Love you neighbor as yourself.' Black people are our neighbors. What does loving them look like? Would it be loving to remove the racist systems in this country?" from an evangelical pulpit? The focus is on saving people almost exclusively, but not biblical application in a social context.

This divorce of the Gospel from everyday life began during slavery. It was inconsistent to convert someone in slavery into the family of God and continue to enslave them. White preachers were split on whether the solution was to not seek to convert those enslaved to Christianity (because they would have to free them - it was illegal in several states) or to twist their theology to a clear split between body and soul. If only saving the soul mattered, then it didn't matter what one did to the body. What is a few decades of enslavement to eternity in Heaven? There are a LOT of ramification for the trajectory of the white evangelical church that came from this distinction.

I’m not sure if infiltrating is the correct word. Weird conspiracies have long been a part of churches. This is just the latest one and it’s specifically connected to a political figure.

I’m not sure if infiltrating is the correct word. Weird conspiracies have long been a part of churches. This is just the latest one and it’s specifically connected to a political figure.

Agreed. In many Evangelical churches there has long been (for generations) an obsession with the Book of Revelation and "End Times" prophecies and the like. They're always looking for "signs" that the Rapture is coming soon, so it's not too much of a jump into believing other conspiracy stuff. There is also a real feeling among many Evangelicals that "the world" is out to get them, which usually boils down to people or groups that they disagree with or don't like. If they have made Trump their New Messiah, it's not all that difficult to see them accepting QAnon conspiracies, no matter how crazy.

Those in power who draw inspiration/direction from a sacred text written by oppressed people for oppressed people either have to undergo serious self-reflection or manufacture an oppressed identity. The former leads to following the way of Jesus well, the latter leads to much of the racist, patriarchal, militaristic Christian Nationalism we see in much of white evangelicalism.

Very well said.

You mean to tell me that the folks who told me when I was a kid that AIDS was a plague from God because it only impacts gays and drug users might not have been the most well researched intellectuals in Eastern NC?

You mean to tell me that the folks who told me when I was a kid that AIDS was a plague from God because it only impacts gays and drug users might not have been the most well researched intellectuals in Eastern NC?

I’m saying that folks who told me when I was a kid to boycott Procter & Gamble because they worship the Church of Satan might not have been the most well researched intellectuals in Eastern NC.

https://www.atlasobscura.com/articles/procter-gamble-satan-conspiracy-theory

I tried to go to church for the first time in a year yesterday. The 2yo screamed like her skin was burning when we walked through the threshold and then deliberately shit her pants when I took her back out to the parking lot. So she’s either possessed or she’s been reading this thread and agrees with all you heathen.

The entire premise of religion is based on believing things that cannot be independently confirmed through observation or experimentation. It is not at all surprising that people who make religion a core part of their persona would be prone to adopt new baseless beliefs that cannot be independently confirmed with observation or experimentation.

The entire premise of religion is based on believing things that cannot be independently confirmed through observation or experimentation. It is not at all surprising that people who make religion a core part of their persona would be prone to adopt new baseless beliefs that cannot be independently confirmed with observation or experimentation.

Amen

Back