• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I keep seeing articles about that letter. That's all well and good. Real change would come if people are talking about that letter on Sundays and challenging their church leadership to do better.

To paraphrase the famous line, the greatest trick the republicans ever pulled off was convincing christians the were the party of jesus.

201376645_4013425765414744_5076515253295406711_n.jpg

Apparently she skipped the passages about God sending plagues upon various peoples.

She also apparently missed the widespread 1980s belief among Evangelical, Moral Majority types like the elder Falwell and Jesse Helms that AIDS was a plague sent by god to punish gays. I remember hearing that one quite a bit back then.

He's just following in the footsteps of the Rev. William Miller, the 19th-Century preacher who helped popularize the idea of the Rapture. He predicted that Jesus would return on several dates in 1843 and 1844, and finally settled on the date of October 22, 1844 for the Rapture. When it didn't happen it was called "The Great Disappointment", yet the idea of the Rapture never really went away and generations of Evangelical preachers have claimed to know the exact date, or simply that it "was coming soon." I do think it's telling at how Trump has become the New Messiah for many Evangelicals, and they are now eagerly predicting and anticipating the date of Dear Leader's return, and not Jesus. To many Evangelicals he seems like old news now - Trump is what they're excited about.

Last edited:
Politics is their new religion. Trump is their new messiah.

Republicans be grifting…it is all they have left.

A conservative Catholic blog, The Pillar, has obtained cellphone data that appears "to show priests at multiple levels of the Catholic hierarchy in both the United States and the Vatican using the gay hookup app Grindr." The information led to the resignation of an American Monsignor, and later reports on the blog "made claims about the use of Grindr by unnamed people in unspecified rectories in the Archdiocese of Newark, New Jersey. The third [report], published days after that, claimed that in 2018 at least 32 mobile devices emitted dating app data signals from within areas of Vatican City that are off-limits to tourists."

"The reports...have unnerved the leadership of the American Catholic Church and have introduced a potentially powerful new weapon into the culture war between supporters of Pope Francis and his conservative critics: cellphone data, which many users assume to be unavailable to the general public." “When there is reporting out there that claims to expose activity like this in parishes around the country and also on Vatican grounds, that is a five-alarm fire for church officials, there is no doubt about it,” said John Gehring, the Catholic program director at Faith in Public Life, a progressive advocacy group.

The reports have put church officials in an awkward position: Priests take a vow of celibacy that is in no way flexible, and the downloading or use of dating apps by clergy members is inconsistent with that vow. But officials are also deeply uncomfortable with the use of cellphone data to publicly police priests’ behavior. Vatican officials said they met with representatives from the blog in June but would not publicly respond to its reports. “If someone who has made promise of celibacy or a vow of chastity has a dating app on his or her phone, that is asking for trouble,” said Cardinal Joseph W. Tobin of Newark at a Zoom panel organized by Georgetown University."

New York Times Article: https://www.yahoo.com/news/catholic-officials-edge-reports-priests-121120987.html

really not on topic, but is anyone else bothered by the way the word "deeply" has permeated journalism? Just say "very" uncomfortable or "extremely" uncomfortable.....but "deeply" uncomfortable means less than either of those. it's often used in describing divisions among people, i.e. "americans are deeply divided about ____". I hate it.

As someone posted "It gives a whole new meaning to Give Me Liberty or Give Me Death."

Back