• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Not really. These are the people who voted for a Hollywood actor over a humble Sunday school teacher.

Not really. These are the people who voted for a Hollywood actor over a humble Sunday school teacher.

Right. Carter is objectively one of the most authentically religious people every to occupy that office. Reagan was objectively one of the least (even though that list is very long)

Little Falwell and wife give an interview to Vanity Fair in which they "open up" about the pool boy scandal and his downfall at Liberty University. Falwell finally admits that he's not very religious (although he pretended to be for decades) and they're clearly playing for sympathy in their accounts of how both of them ended up getting the boot from Liberty and publicly humiliated. I'm wondering if the Falwells are getting ready for a comeback tour, where Jerry and his wife will claim that they really have seen the light. Giving up all that grifting and power must have been hard.

Link: https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2022/01/inside-jerry-falwell-jr-unlikely-rise-and-precipitous-fall

Last edited:
"I wasn't religious then, but I'm super religious now! Praise the Lord!" is a good re-grift.

"I wasn't religious then, but I'm super religious now! Praise the Lord!" is a good re-grift.

Asking for forgiveness for one's sins is a pretty great feature. Go through life being a selfish asshole and when you are called out just claim you asked for forgiveness and it's all good now. I'll forgive you because I know I'm an asshole too and will need to use the tactic at some point as well.

Asking for forgiveness for one's sins is a pretty great feature. Go through life being a selfish asshole and when you are called out just claim you asked for forgiveness and it's all good now. I'll forgive you because I know I'm an asshole too and will need to use the tactic at some point as well.

Yep you just need to have “prayed on it” and you’re good to go, clean slate.

I’m assuming here, but I think believing in an omnipotent God includes the belief that God can’t be fooled by human insincerity, so the conditions under which someone repents shouldn’t concern anyone else. Right? Consider that throughout human history probably billions of people have been coerced to convert under the threat of death and torture.

don't forget, God already knows that you're going to repent, or fake repent, or repent and relapse or any combination thereof

And God knows Trump will bring forth a Christian nation so he doesn't need to repent at all.

never forget: among literally everything else, God created and allows Trump to be and do

never forget: among literally everything else, God created and allows Trump to be and do

you mean the most God fearing president we've ever had? he literally couldn't name a favorite Bible verse because they're all his favorite.

Sorry for the ads. Some hyper masculine, "Christian," make your business super successful training program. In the promo video, they did everything from journalling on the beach to something that looked similar to waterboarding.

I had a student that wanted to apply to a liberty grad program. She knew nothing about its history or reputation or that of its leadership. I researched the individual program and now I'm getting liberty spam on all my devices. It's awful

Sorry for the ads. Some hyper masculine, "Christian," make your business super successful training program. In the promo video, they did everything from journalling on the beach to something that looked similar to waterboarding.

No problem, they are morbidly interesting ads-better than the tire ads I was getting. Nothing like combining Walden with 24 to reclaim your masculinity.

I had a student that wanted to apply to a liberty grad program. She knew nothing about its history or reputation or that of its leadership. I researched the individual program and now I'm getting liberty spam on all my devices. It's awful

After taking the PSAT and getting all kinds of mail from colleges one of the ones really sending out shit was Liberty. it included stuff like literal scholarship coupons you could staple to your application and since it was the summer of the Matrix sequels, I got an envelope that was completely covered in the Matrix green text and just said "What is the Matrix...?" with no Liberty stuff on the outside. turns out the Matrix was some new scholarship system they were introducing.

Back