• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Catholics and Baptists have been exposed on sex abuse issues, next up: Mormons!

How about making the homeless temporarily indentured? I mean there's both a labor shortage and a surplus of homeless..... do a good enough job for a year... here's your home for the next year paid for by us.

Next up???
Have you heard of Warren Jeffs?

I don’t remember that being as systemic as the church running a helpline in order to protect abusers.

Last edited:
Next up???
Have you heard of Warren Jeffs?

Yes I have, but if I remember correctly he was a leader of an offshoot of the LDS, not an LDS member himself. This scandal is much bigger and involves the LDS itself, not a breakaway group. Similar to the Baptists and Catholics have had individual sex abuse scandals many times, but the more recent stories about them involve systematic cover-ups at the highest levels of church organization, not individual church scandals.

Apparently Trump isn't the only right-wing force under DOJ Investigation. The SBC's recent scandal with covering up sex abuse cases has attracted the DOJ's interest. I'm sure the Religious Right will portray this as just another example of the harassment and intimidation of conservatives by the Biden Administration.

That’s a decent piece by David French.

I also like the first comment…

Ray Salemi
Writes RTL Verification Update
Aug 21
I agree with this piece but quibble with the opening. There is a tendency to say "both sides do it" that blunts the true message.

I'll take it as given that Democrats think Republicans are close-minded, dishonest, immoral, and unintelligent. But I have to point out that, unlike Republicans who get their view of Democrats from shock jocks and Tucker Carlson, Democrats are just looking at the news:

* close-minded—Legislation against teachers having pronouns in their email signature

* dishonest—Trump and his grift machine.

* immoral—Citing "Big Dick Energy" doesn't seem the most moral stance

* Unintelligent—Voting Trump surrogates into general elections during a winnable year.

We don't need to watch MSNBC or even CNN to come to these judgments about Republicans. We just need to read The Dispatch, the WSJ, and The Economist.

While the beliefs on both sides may be symmetrical, the facts are not.

David was right to direct his homily at Republicans. I worry that he is shouting into the wind against all the entertainment media pushing Republicans (and thus Christians) in a bad direction. How does a Sunday sermon stand up to daily Tucker Carlson?

it is becoming very clear who the real "groomers" are and they are fully supported by the gop. one after another churches are being found to be a breeding grounds for pedophiles, grifters and madmen. quite a dilemma, how is the gop going to change the narrative?

why would anyone go to a church any longer...in reality, no middle man is needed in religion

David French loves false equivalency to justify his growing disdain with Republicans. Here he lumps in Black Democrat Christians with white evangelicals to make his case.

“Again, remember that both of these coalitions are chock-full of Christians. It is not the case (at least not yet) that America has one religious party and one secular party. The mutual loathing you see comes from people who could recite every syllable of the Apostles’ Creed side-by-side and believe wholeheartedly in the divine inspiration of scripture.

How does this happen? The longer I live the more convinced I am that our Christian political ethic is upside down. On a bipartisan basis, the church has formed its members to be adamant about policies that are difficult and contingent and flexible about virtues that are clear and mandatory.”

He doesn’t even justify it by including examples of Black Democrat Christians acting like Kari Lake. Instead he uses John Lewis and the civil rights movement as counter examples. False equivalence is so natural and necessary to him that he contradicts it without even thinking twice.

Yep…why I quoted the comment.

What’s decent IMO is his critique/analysis of the Christian Right.

Back