• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I don’t do the tribal thing, like 95 percent of posters do.

you’re like the Jeff Flake of the board’s right of center, man

you talk a mad game, claim that you’re a man without a team, but your defenses are consistently towards right wing posters and politics

you do you, but you’re not nearly as edgy as you understand yourself to be

votes republican 99.9% of the time

And this right here is the problem. Republicans love calling Democrats tribal and obstructionist and not willing to even try to be bipartisan, but can you blame us? The GOP agenda means that everyone other than white men lose rights, corporations mean more than the average citizen, grifting and profiting off of the American people, homo- and transphobia, less voting rights for anyone that won’t vote Republican, lying in bed with our country’s historical enemies, alienating our closest friends, incarcerating more Americans, among other terrible things. Why the fuck would we ever want to try to help that agenda get enacted?

Oh I almost forgot Nazism and white supremacy is back in vogue for the GOP too. Fuck the GOP, and if that means I’m party to tribalism, so fucking be it.

Republicans want to cry foul but won’t cross the aisle to try to make America better. They are a parasite and must be eradicated from American politics.

And this right here is the problem. Republicans love calling Democrats tribal and obstructionist and not willing to even try to be bipartisan, but can you blame us? The GOP agenda means that everyone other than white men lose rights, corporations mean more than the average citizen, grifting and profiting off of the American people, homo- and transphobia, less voting rights for anyone that won’t vote Republican, lying in bed with our country’s historical enemies, alienating our closest friends, incarcerating more Americans, among other terrible things. Why the fuck would we ever want to try to help that agenda get enacted?

Oh I almost forgot Nazism and white supremacy is back in vogue for the GOP too. Fuck the GOP, and if that means I’m party to tribalism, so fucking be it.

I read this article the other day, basically saying the same thing, and couldn't agree more

I Am A Liberal, But I’m Not Open-Minded. Here’s Why.

It is now popular in conservative circles to turn arguments over to progressives by stating what they believe to be a brilliant rejoinder: “Liberals brag about being so open-minded, but just look when someone has a different viewpoint! They aren’t open-minded at all!”

I am here to agree with them. I am a liberal, and I am not open-minded in the least. I would correct you if you described me as such. Here’s why.

As I write this, seventeen people, some of them children, have been murdered at school. Again, Congress overs their “thoughts and prayers.” Again, they will do nothing, even though gun legislation has proven time and again to reduce gun deaths. We are a country obsessed with murder weapons. I don’t know how to fix this. And I am not open-minded on this issue: I do not care about your guns. There is no argument on earth that will convince me that your guns are more important than my children’s lives. My mind is closed.

When two people of the same sex or gender love each other and want to have the same rights as two people of different sex or genders, they get to do that, because they are humans and deserve the same rights as straight couples. It is no one’s business but theirs, and it affects your life in no way whatsoever, except that you get the privilege of another loving couple in your community. This topic is closed for debate with me, and I’m fine with that.

When a transgender person wants to use the bathroom they identify with, or have protections at work, they get that right. There is no argument against that. Think I’m close-minded on that? Damn right. I have yet to hear a compelling argument against it.

When unarmed black folks are murdered by cops by the scores, and you hide behind the “blue line” instead of questioning the institutionalized racism of the justice system, then I have lost my respect for you as someone who will not care for the plight of innocent people. The discussion is closed; I don’t need to hear your viewpoint, because racist rhetoric is useless and false. There are not two sides to racism; we decided that a couple centuries ago. It’s 2018; if you aren’t caught up, you best get on the train.

I am not a “tolerant liberal.” I will not tolerate your false equivalencies. Don’t know what “false equivalency” means? I’ll help you this once:

“[An] argument simultaneously condemns and excuses both sides in a dispute by claiming that both sides are (equally) guilty of inappropriate behavior or bad reasoning. While the argument appears to be treating both sides equally, it is generally used to condemn an opponent or to excuse one’s own position.” (credit: Bruce Thompson, professor of philosophy, Palomar College, 2017)

I will not tolerate your arguments that erase hundreds of years of history, that erase murdered children and broken women. So you can call me whatever you want, but if your insult is that I’m not an open-minded liberal, then I guess you’ve won that round. I am not.

All of these posts are making Brad cry. He wants the left to be more tolerant and open-minded to people like Matt Gaetz.

Tolerance includes being intolerant of intolerant.

Love includes hating hate.

It just hit me that many so-called evangelicals probably don’t know the actual scriptures.

It just hit me that many so-called evangelicals probably don’t know the actual scriptures.

ehh, they probably do.

My experience is that evangelicals would be very familiar with those passages, but they are always delivered through a heavy Americanized and white filter - pushing individualism and a body soul duality to the forefront so many of them understand those passages about drawing lines around who does and does not go to heaven and lessons in personal responsibility (along with "this is the churches job, not the government's" despite the church not doing that job or exercising its power on behalf of the vulnerable)

They know the shit out of Leviticus.

They know a couple of versus. Leviticus is usually where they all crap out on their "read the Bible in a year" New Year's Resolutions around the beginning of Februrary.

The broad understanding of Scripture for many American evangelicals involves:

Genesis 1-3
A few versus from Isaiah that point to a messiah
The birth narratives in the Gospels
the crucifixion and resurrection
Paul
*some familiarity with the teachings of Jesus' ministry, but they generally place these as secondary to the above.

Back