• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I read this yesterday, and he's getting slaughtered on social media. I would say that it's amazing that anyone could still promote this medievalism in 21st Century America, but after the last four years I have no trouble believing it at all, unfortunately. And no doubt there's a surprising number of women who probably would go along with this.

That's some strong Kool-Aid there

Kool-Aid.jpg

:(

Insane. I would say that how anyone could watch that and think that guy is stable and normal and a great man of god is baffling, but after the last couple of decades it really isn't baffling any more. Just another televangelist con artist milking his rubes of every dollar he can get. He might as well be laughing at his congregation for allowing him to live like a king (or pharisee).

It really is so sad that these people and their followers have deluded themselves into thinking that Jesus wants us to elect people who care nothing about others. The "pastors" are going to have a lot to answer for at the day of judgment. Their followers are sheep - either too dumb to think for themselves, or just smart enough to figure out that their selfish desires get some air cover from these "teachings."

As a Christian, one of the most depressing aspects of the evangelical embrace of Trump is the detrimental aspect it has on the long term survival of the church. American Christianity is dying, as a lot of our youth can’t look past the absolute hypocrisy of the church swallowing all the Trump bullshit, and are avoiding the church because of it.

It really is so sad that these people and their followers have deluded themselves into thinking that Jesus wants us to elect people who care nothing about others. The "pastors" are going to have a lot to answer for at the day of judgment. Their followers are sheep - either too dumb to think for themselves, or just smart enough to figure out that their selfish desires get some air cover from these "teachings."

I've had this conversation with my evangelical Republican mother many times.

You want to know why young and middle-aged people aren't going to church anymore? It is because the vast majority of high visible Evangelical Christian leaders are all frauds. It is the same sort of predatory Christianity that has been eaten up by the illiterate and ignorant masses for centuries, however education has shrunken that base dramatically. For better or worst a majority of college educated people think that the church is a joke.

Agree with both of you. For those of us who believe, we can find a church that isn't led by lunatics, but it completely turns off nonbelievers. (FWIW, if anyone is looking for a biblically sound yet not insane church in Charlotte, Forest Hill is fantastic. Avoid Elevation.)

Aren't these people supposed to be charismatic? I wasn't expecting 38 seconds of braying laughter.

Agree with both of you. For those of us who believe, we can find a church that isn't led by lunatics, but it completely turns off nonbelievers. (FWIW, if anyone is looking for a biblically sound yet not insane church in Charlotte, Forest Hill is fantastic. Avoid Elevation.)

Aren't these the people that carry around signs reading "JESUS SAID 'IF YOU ARE LUKEWARM I WILL VOMIT YOU OUT'"?

I see a pickup around that has confederate flag and trump 2020 “no more bullshit” decals next to an Elevation sticker so, yeah fuck that place.

I see a pickup around that has confederate flag and trump 2020 “no more bullshit” decals next to an Elevation sticker so, yeah fuck that place.

I’ve seen a Jeep with an Elevation and a Qanon sticker

Good read...thx for posting.

Author Stephen Prothero, a professor of religious studies at Boston University, described the grandchildren as “outliers in their own family and in the wider white evangelical community” in their willingness to accuse their uncle (Franklin) of abandoning Billy Graham’s example of non-partisanship by tying his ministry so tightly to Trump.

“But,” Prothero continued in an interview for this article, “They signal what could be growing disquiet about the hijacking of what was once a clearly Christian (and evangelistic) purpose for what is raw Republican politics.”...

... Prothero...said in an email for this article that elections provide “times of choosing” for religious communities. This election’s aftermath, he continued, will create an opportunity for evangelical dissidents like Jerushah, Aram, Chancellor John Piper, Christianity Today and many others to be heard now that the supportive din for Trump has faded.

“I can only hope — for their sake and the sake of the country — that these outlier voices represent a groundswell rather than some last gasp,” Prothero continued, “and that Franklin and his enablers (in his family and in the wider white evangelical world) will be called in some way to account.”

“affirmation of Critical Race Theory, Intersectionality and any version of Critical Theory is incompatible with the Baptist Faith & Message.”

https://www.baptistpress.com/resour...idents-reaffirm-bfm-declare-crt-incompatible/

And yet conservatives love to say that it's liberals who are intolerant in academia and are intent on brainwashing kids with their philosophy. "We condemn racism, but we promise that we won't actually use anything in our seminary curriculum that teaches students about it!"

Back