• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Jesus was born in a feed trough. His parents paid the smallest possible offering at the temple, because they were the poorest of the poor. He spent his adult life homeless. He never knew where his next meal was coming from. He hung out with the dregs of society. He rode a borrowed donkey. He ate his last meal in a borrowed room. And before He died, his clothes (his only possession) were taken from him. He literally died owning nothing of this world. Poverty is not a sign of God's neglect.

yeah but he did all of that voluntarily. we don't call acetic monks poor or say they're impoverished

21741302_1646336102089231_2201823058162024585_o.jpg

From Franklin Graham's facebook page. Why does Mike Pence wear a jacket with his name embroidered in it? He is the weirdest of weird dudes.

From Franklin Graham's facebook page. Why does Mike Pence wear a jacket with his name embroidered in it? He is the weirdest of weird dudes.

eh not really, it's prob the Air Force 2 jacket they issued him. Trump gets an AF1 version but I'm sure he never wears it.

Never forget:

Mike Pence thinks mean-mugging at North Korea might deter nuclear aggression

On Monday, Pence visited the Demilitarized Zone (DMZ) bordering North and South Korea. The Washington Post reports that although Pence wasn’t supposed to step outside, he did anyway.

Why? So North Koreans could get a load of him deploying his mean face in their direction.

“I thought it was important that we went outside,” Pence said, according to the Post. “I thought it was important that people on the other side of the DMZ see our resolve in my face.”

1Xxxeq3UIIFUMq45BHl3fYA-1.jpeg

Liberty University Cinema Dept. Producing Feature Film 'The Trump Prophecy'
https://www.christianpost.com/news/...-trump-prophecy-224312/#.WwvlbXFt6os.facebook

the-trump-prophecy.jpg

The film focuses on the prophecy of a retired Florida firefighter named Mark Taylor, who claims that God told him in April 2011 that Trump would one day become president. Although Taylor initially thought that meant that Trump would become president in 2012, the prophecy was ultimately fulfilled in November 2016.

Taylor's prophetic claim was described in his 2017 book, The Trump Prophecies: The Astonishing True Story of the Man Who Saw Tomorrow... and What He Says Is Coming Next.

--------------

I'm sure it's just a coincidence that also in April 2011, Trump went on the Today Show and gave a big interview about possibly running for president and claimed he had people in Hawaii investigating Obama's birth certificate.
https://archives.nbclearn.com/portal/site/k-12/flatview?cuecard=52817

he is a tag-along...Back to the Future and Simpsons predicted Trump winning well over 10 years ago.

"Duplantis added that if Jesus were alive today, "He wouldn't be riding a donkey.""

I can't think of a better summation of how prosperity gospel has distorted the Word.

LOL. These guys are con artists, plain and simple. They're not unlike the medicine men who traveled the Old West and sold worthless "elixirs" to people that they claimed could cure everything from cancer to back pain to headaches. And people bought it. What's funny is that fundamentalists love to talk about the "end times" when all of the ungodly, sinful people will be "left behind" to suffer terrible torments and tribulations at the hands of a wrathful God. Yet many of these supposedly righteous people deserve that fate far more than those they condemn to such treatment, like gays. If something like The Rapture and End Times ever did happen, it would be ironic indeed if the Evangelicals who claim to believe in it are surprised when they're the ones who are "left behind" and experience God's wrath for practicing false Christianity and twisting the very meaning of Christ's words and teachings. I remember an Onion article from years ago that featured a headline showing The Rapture, and guys like Jerry Falwell and Pat Robertson going up to meet Jesus, while telling reporters "bye, suckers!" They had Pat Buchanan saying: "I am going to a place where everybody is like me, filled with Christian love and understanding...There will also be a shared hatred of gays." Funny stuff.

"Duplantis added that if Jesus were alive today, "He wouldn't be riding a donkey.""

I can't think of a better summation of how prosperity gospel has distorted the Word.

He's correct. No way Jesus would ride a donkey these days. He would most likely drive a 96 accord with about 300K miles on it.

It just seems to me that people that voted Trump are desperate to believe in anything other than what is actually happening in the world. Some of these folks are uneducated but have no desire to become educated so its hard to feel sorry for them. These are the ones most often that will believe a televangelist and whatever they have to say. Others are more and sometimes way more educated, but still want to like "go back to the 50's" where life was simpler and everyone knew their place.

I see this a lot in my neck of the woods in South Carolina and especially from all the evangelicals and certainly from a lot of Baptists.

It just seems to me that people that voted Trump are desperate to believe in anything other than what is actually happening in the world. Some of these folks are uneducated but have no desire to become educated so its hard to feel sorry for them. These are the ones most often that will believe a televangelist and whatever they have to say. Others are more and sometimes way more educated, but still want to like "go back to the 50's" where life was simpler and everyone knew their place.

I see this a lot in my neck of the woods in South Carolina and especially from all the evangelicals and certainly from a lot of Baptists.

For rural and small-town white Trumpites, I think this is what his appeal ultimately boils down to. Somehow, they're all going to turn back the clock and their town will look like it did in the 50s or 60s or 70s, easy factory jobs will come back, minorities will either return to "knowing their place" (like blacks), or just disappear completely (like gays, and all the Latinos who have moved to their towns in the past 20 to 25 years). MAGA is really just a "Back to the Future" program. Of course it won't happen, and even they probably know it deep down, but they're desperate for it, and so they'll follow anybody who promises it.

Last edited:
To complete this, I have an Uncle who believes its as simple as unlocking the doors to the mill and cutting the machines back on. I tried to explain that its not that easy and besides who would pay the workers. The answer was Trump can make it happen.

Why is it that all of the people on my Facebook who tell NFL player protesters to "shut up and do your job!" are the same ones who are praising the baker's right to deny service to a homosexual couple? It's almost as if this isn't about the flag or religion at all...

There's also a pretty well-known Bible story about three young men who are lauded for refusing to participate in the compulsory honoring of a symbol of the state every time music plays that people are forgetting.

There's also a pretty well-known Bible story about three young men who are lauded for refusing to participate in the compulsory honoring of a symbol of the state every time music plays that people are forgetting.

Trump makes a decent Nebuchadnezzar.

An 18 year old Mexican-American - with a newborn and who's been in the US since the age of 3 - gets a DUI.

What would Jesus do?

Death sentence via deportation of course.

Solid read from a pastor out of Raleigh.

Back