• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

I was going to ask if it is normal for a bishop to publicly tweet his message to a member of his church... and then also retweet people who compliment him. But then I googled him and... yeah, the guy is a right wing political activist who helped write Prop 8 and didn't get the COVID vaccine because his "immune system is strong." So take his statement with all the grains of salt.

I heard he said his decision was pastoral not political so it’s all above board.

Fuck the Catholic Church. Fuck the Pope. Pay taxes you hypocritical pedophile rapist cover-uppers.

Southern Baptist Convention releases a third-party investigation of the SBC Executive Committee's handling of sexual abuse reports and cases. And as you might expect, it's awful.

"Armed with a secret list of more than 700 abusive pastors, Southern Baptist leaders chose to protect the denomination from lawsuits rather than protect the people in their churches from further abuse...Survivors, advocates, and some Southern Baptists themselves spent more than 15 years calling for ways to keep sexual predators from moving quietly from one flock to another. The men who controlled the Executive Committee (EC)—which runs day-to-day operations of the Southern Baptist Convention (SBC)—knew the scope of the problem. But, working closely with their lawyers, they maligned the people who wanted to do something about abuse and repeatedly rejected pleas for help and reform.

“Behind the curtain, the lawyers were advising to say nothing and do nothing, even when the callers were identifying predators still in SBC pulpits,” according to a massive third-party investigative report released Sunday...As renewed calls for action emerged with the #ChurchToo and #SBCToo movements, [SBC general counsel Augie] Boto referred to advocacy for abuse survivors as “a satanic scheme to completely distract us from evangelism.”

There are many stories from victims of sexual abuse by SBC pastors that are horrific, and the pastors were not only not fired, but often allowed to move from one SBC church to another. One such story: "Another victim, Debbie Vasquez, was repeatedly sexually assaulted by an SBC pastor starting at the age of 14. When one assault led to her pregnancy, she was forced to apologize in front of the church but forbidden to mention the father. The pastor went on to serve at another Southern Baptist church, and when Vasquez reached out to the [Executive Committee], her entreaties were ignored and evaded for years until a Houston Chronicle investigation three years ago.

"Over the past 20 years, meanwhile, a string of SBC presidents failed to appropriately respond to abuse in their own churches and seminaries. In several instances, leaders sided with individuals and churches that had been credibly accused of abuse or cover-up. One former [SBC] president—pastor Johnny Hunt—sexually assaulted another pastor’s wife in 2010, investigators found.

The report just goes on and on with stories like this. And mind you, these are the exact same people who want to set up a "Christian Dominion" in the USA to enforce their moral values on everyone else, and who call LGBTQ people "sick" and perverted, and who are about to eliminate access to abortion via their Supreme Court, and who want to go after contraceptive rights, and lots more. It's sick.

Link: https://www.christianitytoday.com/news/2022/may/southern-baptist-abuse-investigation-sbc-ec-legal-survivors.html

Link: https://www.christianitytoday.com/ct/2022/may-web-only/southern-baptist-abuse-apocalypse-russell-moore.html

Fuck the Baptists too. And fuck you if you still go to a Baptist or Catholic church. I don't care if your church "is different".

seriously, these scumbugs in the catholic church and southern baptist churches are sinners of the highest order. They fucking disgust me and I'm not sure how they can ever regain the trust of the public again. Give me some gay teachers with a critical race theory syllabus any day of the week and I bet my mortgage that are living a more moral lifestyle than these catholic and baptist pieces of shit.

Fuck the Baptists too. And fuck you if you still go to a Baptist or Catholic church. I don't care if your church "is different".

I'd expand on this. Fuck all religion. Fuck Baptists, fuck Catholics, fuck Islam, and the Hinduism too.

We need a post religious world, it's all real gay.

I grew up in the Southern Baptist Church and have someone in my life who is a survivor of sexual assault from a SBC leader

really shitty stuff

My parents are southern baptists. They are no longer the rational people they once were.

My parents are southern baptists. They are no longer the rational people they once were.

Which is why nothing will change and they’ll continue to complain about the immorality of the secular world with no sense of irony.

Posted by a MAGA conspiracy believer without any sense of irony: As I get older, my vision is getting worse, but I'm able to see the bullshit more clearly.

Posted by a MAGA conspiracy believer without any sense of irony: As I get older, my vision is getting worse, but I'm able to see the bullshit more clearly.

I knew a lot of country people growing up who liked to brag that they were shrewd and could always catch a con, yet in reality were as gullible and easily taken advantage of as they come. And if they were taken advantage of in some way they'd never admit it.

The con is whatever their pastor and the nice people on TV tell them it is.

This all makes me sick, even if I should have known to expect it. I'm not giving up on Jesus but every church in America needs to put a plan in place immediately to make sure their leadership is held accountable and is subject to the law.

This all makes me sick, even if I should have known to expect it. I'm not giving up on Jesus but every church in America needs to put a plan in place immediately to make sure their leadership is held accountable and is subject to the law.

These are the religious leaders Jesus was against. If Southern Baptists, Catholics, mega churches, etc actually read the Bible, they’d see themselves in the Pharisees and Sadducees.

The basic design of churches whether they be large hierarchical denominations or unaffiliated congregations is antithetical to the type of accountability you’re talking about. It’s not just a church thing. It’s why there’s no such accountability in the military either.

Back