• Welcome to OGBoards 10.0, keep in mind that we will be making LOTS of changes to smooth out the experience here and make it as close as possible functionally to the old software, but feel free to drop suggestions or requests in the Tech Support subforum!

The religious right's hypocrisy now on full display

Haley guaranteeing she’ll never be taken seriously by thinking people.

Smart move?

Good fucking grief. If this Trump administration doesn’t jump the shark with Christians I don’t know what will.

Truly reprehensibly manipulative tool

People are stupid, mankind is fucked if I am one of the smartest of the lot!

Not only are we hearing this ridiculous, self-justifying line of argument more and more often from the GOP these days, but we're hearing it from Republicans like Haley who have not spoken this way before. I can't imagine that people like Haley or other GOP elites actually believe this, it seems more plausible that they're trying to shore up their Evangelical base for impeachment by repeating the line that Trump may not be a saint (he's more of a devil), but he's been "chosen" by God to save people like them from all of their enemies who are out to destroy them. No matter the reasoning, it's still disgusting. To claim that God would choose someone who is basically an Anti-Christ to push "traditional Christian values" is absurd, and hypocritical at best.

Well she's not wrong. He's like the bad guys in the Noah story where they want to use all the earth's resources and are selfish and corrupt as hell, so God uses them to "make change" by sending floods to wipe out human kind (global warming).

Remind me again about the charismatic leader in the bible that comes to power. How did that end?

It is undeniable they are smitten with him in a way that no one else in the entire world understands.

i mean, King David did pretty well for himself

Fair enough. A few parallels there. Pretty sure he grabbed 'em by things as well. Then along comes the anti christ to really move things along. Their denial of global warming all makes sense now. Just warming up the room for us...

Fair enough. A few parallels there. Pretty sure he grabbed 'em by things as well. Then along comes the anti christ to really move things along. Their denial of global warming all makes sense now. Just warming up the room for us...

I had a really vivid dream that Obama was actually the antichrist right after his 08 election. Like vivid enough that I walked around for a couple of days wondering if God was trying to talk to me.

I had a really vivid dream that Obama was actually the antichrist right after his 08 election. Like vivid enough that I walked around for a couple of days wondering if God was trying to talk to me.

I wasn't.

pretty good perspective piece on the apocalyptic siege mentality of the religious right, and why it is nonsensical. https://www.nytimes.com/2019/12/06/opinion/sunday/trump-christian-conservatives.html?action=click&module=Opinion&pgtype=Homepage Not that anyone who needs to read it will.

One of the things I have been most struck by in my conversations with Christian conservatives is how moral concern has given way to moral panic. It distorts their perceptions...

Yep

Last edited:
https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/millennials-are-leaving-religion-and-not-coming-back/

Millennials have earned a reputation for reshaping industries and institutions — shaking up the workplace, transforming dating culture, and rethinking parenthood. They’ve also had a dramatic impact on American religious life. Four in ten millennials now say they are religiously unaffiliated, according to the Pew Research Center. In fact, millennials (those between the ages of 23 and 38) are now almost as likely to say they have no religion as they are to identify as Christian. 1

For years, the Christian conservative movement has warned about a tide of rising secularism, but research has suggested that the strong association between religion and the Republican Party may actually be fueling this divide.

Luke Olliff, a 30-year-old man living in Atlanta, says that he and his wife gradually shed their religious affiliations together. “My family thinks she convinced me to stop going to church and her family thinks I was the one who convinced her,” he said. “But really it was mutual. We moved to a city and talked a lot about how we came to see all of this negativity from people who were highly religious and increasingly didn’t want a part in it.” This view is common among young people. A majority (57 percent) of millennials agree that religious people are generally less tolerant of others, compared to only 37 percent of Baby Boomers.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features/millennials-are-leaving-religion-and-not-coming-back/

Millennials have earned a reputation for reshaping industries and institutions — shaking up the workplace, transforming dating culture, and rethinking parenthood. They’ve also had a dramatic impact on American religious life. Four in ten millennials now say they are religiously unaffiliated, according to the Pew Research Center. In fact, millennials (those between the ages of 23 and 38) are now almost as likely to say they have no religion as they are to identify as Christian. 1

For years, the Christian conservative movement has warned about a tide of rising secularism, but research has suggested that the strong association between religion and the Republican Party may actually be fueling this divide.

Luke Olliff, a 30-year-old man living in Atlanta, says that he and his wife gradually shed their religious affiliations together. “My family thinks she convinced me to stop going to church and her family thinks I was the one who convinced her,” he said. “But really it was mutual. We moved to a city and talked a lot about how we came to see all of this negativity from people who were highly religious and increasingly didn’t want a part in it.” This view is common among young people. A majority (57 percent) of millennials agree that religious people are generally less tolerant of others, compared to only 37 percent of Baby Boomers.

Fundamentalists like Falwell and Graham are killing their own golden goose. Given their ages they probably don't care, as they'll be retired before the demographic crash hits. The USA may finally be going the way of most of Europe, Australia, and NZ in having only a minority of citizens be practicing Christians.

Back